Best CEO's

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think it was Scratch who saved the life of Mr. Cathy's son when he was a small child and was rewarded with a coupon for a free sandwich- yes a very generous man.

I just posted that as kind of a joke, I didn't expect any award at all for picking his or anybody else's one year old grandson who had escaped out of the house and was wandering down the street. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Cathy family. I have heard him speak and tell the story of how he first went into business as a kid. He would buy a six pack of Cokes for a quarter and sell them for a nickel apiece, hence a nickel profit. When his grandkids started driving, he would give them an old beater to drive so that they would learn about working on cars. When they graduated high school, he would get them a new one. Its been about ten years since I saw Truett Cathy, but at the time he said that he had adopted over two hundred children. The Windshape Foundation he started has donated many millions of dollars and I have been in a few buildings at hospitals and such that were built from his generosity. A lot of kids who work in Chick-fil-A have gone to college through the scholarships he gave them. The chain hit a billion in sales years ago, I don't know where they are now. I have eaten at the first one he built and also the first one he put in a mall. He is a Baptist who keeps his restaurants closed on Sunday so the employees can go to church. They are a big UPS customer too, my Center handles their headquarters. Great chicken sandwich, unfortunately I don't eat there much anymore. Like a lot of restaurants, they fry with peanut oil and my wife is allergic to peanuts.

Last edited:

steeltoe

I just posted that as kind of a joke, I didn't expect any award at all for picking his or anybody else's one year old grandson who had escaped out of the house and was wandering down the street. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Cathy family. I have heard him speak and tell the story of how he first went into business as a kid. He would buy a six pack of Cokes for a quarter and sell them for a nickel apiece, hence a nickel profit. When his grandkids started driving, he would give them an old beater to drive so that they would learn about working on cars. When they graduated high school, he would get them a new one. Its been about ten years since I saw Truett Cathy, but at the time he said that he had adopted over two hundred children. The Windshape Foundation he started has donated many millions of dollars and I have been in a few buildings at hospitals and such that were built from his generosity. A lot of kids who work in Chick-fil-A have gone to college through the scholarships he gave them. The chain hit a billion in sales years ago, I don't know where they are now. I have eaten at the first one he built and also the first one he put in a mall. He is a Baptist who keeps his restaurants closed on Sunday so the employees can go to church. They are a big UPS customer too, my Center handles their headquarters. Great chicken sandwich, unfortunately I don't eat there much anymore. Like a lot of restaurants, they fry with peanut oil and my wife is allergic to peanuts.

Scratch, they eclipsed 3 billion last year. Dan Cathy is now the President, Truett still the Founder and CEO. Everytime Dan introduces himself to someone he says, " Hi, my name is Dan Cathy, and I work for Chick-fil-A." None of the "I am the president stuff."

I remember when my wife first started working for them. We were invited to the home of Dan Cathy for dinner. He cooked the Dinner and served us. No catered meal. Steaks and sides he cooked himself. After Dinner we invited guests sat in the living room. Employee's and spouses. Dan started by telling a story. Someone once asked him how big will the company get. Dan stated that the company will never grow any larger than when he can not have all new corporate staff, operators and their spouses over to his home and have a meal that he cooks with in their first year of employement. Needless to say, I was impressed.

I have been at the cafateria at corporate and watched Dan go around and take peoples plates from their table. You here the person say thank you and Dan always responds with "My Pleasure". How many presidents of companies would clear the table for their employee's? I would have to say that only the Cathy's would.

The World is a better place because of Truett Cathy and the family he has raised. They do not just sell chicken sandwiches. Their goal is to use the gifts that God has given them to make the World a better place.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Scratch;
Wonderful story about you, the Cathy's and CFA.

My kids worked there and it is a great place to eat.