best place to become a driver fast

Braveheart

hey guys. I work in TN and ive been with ups for a little over 2 years. It will be another 5 or 6 years until i will be able to drive, especially the way the economy is going. What im wondering is where is the best place to become a driver fast? MY wife wants to move back west to Oregon where her family is, but i don't want to because i dont want to have ot wait another 5 or so years. We really want to move, but im worried about my job. So does anyone know the bet location to become a quick driver? thanks
Many of us waited 6 to 8 years in a good economy.

What makes you think you will do any better than 5-6???

Good luck.

I hear Mexico is looking for truckers.

Jonathan1

Enjoy life
Because i have heard of people driving within 2 or 3 years. Mainly i dont want to leave the hub that im at if im going to have to put in another 6 or whatever years.. Would it be better to just stay where i am then? I only have 2 years in where i am now, but i dont want to move and have to put in even more years, than i would if i had just stayed, ya know

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I only have 2 years in where i am now, but i dont want to move and have to put in even more years, than i would if i had just stayed, ya know

Unemployment comes out today around 9 a.m. EDT. When it does, take a look at Oregon. I was stunned by the unemployment there for February. The whole coast is screwed! Look at areas in West Texas, northern Rockies and New Mexico. Those three seem to be doing OK. -Rocky

UPSNewbie

There is no guarantee for a certain amount of years anywhere. If you really want to become a driver/FT fast, stick with what seniority you already have.

P

pickup

The trucking company that I hear on the radio advertising for drivers are:

Schneider

I know next to nothing about knight transport but I do know something about schneider. All I am going to say is that I would be very suspicious about companies that need to recruit in this economy. Its the equivalent of a food shortage and people are looking for food and can't find it and yet there are few firms advertising food for sale week after week. Some people shy away from buying that food but someone bites on the offer and goes down to the store to buy only to find that while it is a food store, the food in mind of the managers of the company is the customer coming through the door. Ala, "To serve man" as in a twilight zone episode.

In a similar vein, after looking at the help wanted ads for years, just out of habit after reading the comics, I see it is the same usual suspects that advertise week after week for years on end. Makes me wonder why the jobs don't stay filled.

over9five

Staff member
I know next to nothing about knight transport but I do know something about schneider. All I am going to say is that I would be very suspicious about companies that need to recruit in this economy. Its the equivalent of a food shortage and people are looking for food and can't find it and yet there are few firms advertising food for sale week after week. Some people shy away from buying that food but someone bites on the offer and goes down to the store to buy only to find that while it is a food store, the food in mind of the managers of the company is the customer coming through the door. Ala, "To serve man" as in a twilight zone episode.

In a similar vein, after looking at the help wanted ads for years, just out of habit after reading the comics, I see it is the same usual suspects that advertise week after week for years on end. Makes me wonder why the jobs don't stay filled.

Good points!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

Good post!

I was relieved of my duties about 8 weeks ago by a company much like one of those that is always looking for workers. The organization had a horrendous turnover rate at all levels. The local management was horrible and I got the impression corporate just liked playing blind. They hired someone to replace me and I'm kind of left wondering how long she'll last. -Rocky

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Good post!

I was relieved of my duties about 8 weeks ago by a company much like one of those that is always looking for workers. The organization had a horrendous turnover rate at all levels. The local management was horrible and I got the impression corporate just liked playing blind. They hired someone to replace me and I'm kind of left wondering how long she'll last. -Rocky
Rocky, she probably won't last any longer than you. Sucks to make a move like you did and then be out of a job. Hope things get better. Best Dilli

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky, she probably won't last any longer than you. Sucks to make a move like you did and then be out of a job. Hope things get better. Best Dilli

Thanks, Dill. I haven't spoken to my successor, although this individual is smart enough to find out who I am and track me down via the Web if they're so inclined. I don't expect it to happen, though for professionalism reasons.

Its kind of funny because they fired four full-time employees (that includes me) in the 6 months I was there. Two others quit, both in this organization's equivalent of sales positions. That doesn't even count part-timers that quit / were fired. A week before I was relieved of duty, I was getting some training at the corporate office. I was talking to the HR Director and made a comment about the local management team. She asked a question that gave me the distinct impression they were well aware of the problem, who the problem was and knew it wasn't the employee's. A week later, I was out of a job. They approved my unemployment on the first round, which is almost unheard of for unsatisfactory work performance terminations. My boss was a witch. I saw a picture of her on Yahoo during the flooding, helping sandbag. I got a little sense of justice out of that :funny:. -Rocky

Overpaid Union Thug

Because i have heard of people driving within 2 or 3 years. Mainly i dont want to leave the hub that im at if im going to have to put in another 6 or whatever years.. Would it be better to just stay where i am then? I only have 2 years in where i am now, but i dont want to move and have to put in even more years, than i would if i had just stayed, ya know

Here we've had guys with 3.5, 4, 7, and 8 years all within the last two years. Before that it was usually 4 or 5 years average.

DS

Fenderbender
Edmonton Alberta Canada.
Check it out!!!!

4/29/09

173-2921.GIF
$17.43/hr including bonuses to start!!!

Courier Driver
Company Profile: ...

UPS

DS

Fenderbender
Check it out!!!!

FEDERAL EXPRESS CANADA -EDMONTON,AB</SPAN> Jobs FedEx Express Courier-Permanent, FEDERAL EXPRESS CANADA Posted Apr 2, 2009 Edmonton, Alberta... FedEx Express Courier-Permanent Job ID: YEG.2030603250901.LI Company Name: FedEx Express Description... Service, Courier Completed Education High School diploma Job Type (multi-select) Part time Location AB

Dustyroads

Out here in the flatlands it's impossibe to "transfer" to another location, except for bidding jobs withing our local union jurisdiction. So, if you move from Tennessee, you would have to try to get a job as a part timer in another center...assuming in another state, which is no guarantee. You might wait 5 years to get a part time job in another location, or perhaps, they might not hire you at all...insofar that UPS used to have a policy of not rehiring any individual who has left their employ. I've seen that rule waived, but you sure couldn't count on it. My advice, the quickest way to become a driver, is stay where you are, volunteer to work saturday air, vacations, christmas coverage, anything they want behind the wheel. Moving to another state will endanger your ability to become a driver at all.

If you go on the UPS jobs website, just start checking every state for drivers. I check sometimes for the hell of it. I think MN awhile ago was looking for feeder drivers, another state also was just recently. As someone else said, do you really want to move to east jabbib? There's moving expenses, cost of living where you move to, etc. I remember reading an article some place in North Dakota was closing there offices because they couldn't get any help. Good luck!

I saw that job opening in MN. But then I googled the town and saw the average temperature in the winter is 2 degrees. No way I'm transferring there

UPSGUY72

Just stay where you are if you Quit and move there is no guarentee they will hire you somewhere else and if they did you have start at the bttm again. Just suck it up and stay where you are. The time it takes to becomes a driver vervies all over the place. You need to take into account the economy(number of package being shipped) and number of people that retire or quit.

It took me 11 months to get picked to be a driver and 3 more before I went to drivers school.