Best solution?

Mr Fedex

Banned
It is not really a bonus just for being in management ... it is part of their compensation.
When people are interviewed for management positions, 30 years ago and even currently, the MIP is presented as part of the management person's compensation.
During a management person's annual review of their compensation, the MIP is presented as 2 times their monthly salary (for a 1-unit person) and is part of the Annual Salary Review.

RustyPMcG

I see this thread is old, and certainly isn't relevant to the original poster anymore, but I do see some erroneous infromation in the thread.

As of a couple years ago, for fraud prevention reasons, a consignee cannot (in theory) call in to get a change in delivery address with just the tracking number. The consignee needs the InfoNotice number. And the new address has to be local. They also will need a credit card available to pay the charge.

Hold for pick-up is still free, and I believe that can still be requested before the first delivery attempt, and thus without an InfoNotice number. This is because the consignee will still have to present ID to pick-up the package.

The ease at which a consignee-initiated delivery intercept could be done under the old rules was (surprise!) something that the bad guys of the world loved. While the new way of requiring the InfoNotice number instead of the tracking number isn't air-tight, it does a better job of addressing the fact that the package technically belongs to the shipper until it's in the hands of the consignee.

This change took place at the same time that the policy on RTS changed. As I'm sure most of us know, if three attempts are made, and the consingee doesn't call in, the package is no longer held, but is sent right back to the shipper. If the consignee calls, it'll still be held for up to 5 business days, but if they don't bother calling, tough luck.

And, BTW, once a RTS is initiated, the package isn't eligible for intercept, which makes for a fun time when I ship a package all the way to the East Coast by Ground, it can't be delivered, and it's not until the 4th business day that someone comes up with an address for an intercept. That package is coming all the way back, and will need to be reshipped once that RTS kicks in. And it's why I, as a TUPSS owner, has to keep a close eye on all those exceptions, and start making phone calls fairly quickly when a problem arises -- and why I'm often on the Web doing an Intercept within an hour after an exception shows up.