best way to avoid misloads?

Grouchy

well, the title says it all

I try to mark my packages as much as possible but when the flow on the belt gets ridiculous, I lose track of them =/

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My advice would not be for the loader, rather for management.
Hire more loaders, reducing the number of cars in their set and packages handled.
In doing so, make them more accountable.
How can the company pay for this without affecting the margin of profit?
Easliy; every hour of overtime within the package car driver ranks that is reduced due to better load quality and less misloads can more than pay for the whole day of each individual new hire preloader.
We already know that there will alway be a large amount of turnover in the preload.

There are two reasons why this will never happen:
1. The company always thinks they can have their cake and eat it too.
2. There continues to be moronic drivers that come in well ahead of their scheduled start time and clean up a portion of the mess for free.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
SLOW DOWN!!! The belt being backed up is not your problem. It's managements refusal to hire enough people or give the current employees more time. If you get overwhelmed turn the belt off. The job is stressful I know but when it all starts to go nuts stop take a few deep breathes and remind yourself it'll all get done it always does.

H

htown0721

2. There continues to be moronic drivers that come in well ahead of their scheduled start time and clean up a portion of the mess for free.[/QUOTE]

Whats the point having the cake if you can't eat it?

midwest brown

I told my sup **** happens when she asked me what happened the other day when I had 2... Needless to say a month or so later my center manager had on file I said **** happens lol

turdburglar

well, the title says it all

I try to mark my packages as much as possible but when the flow on the belt gets ridiculous, I lose track of them =/
Since I now have a target on my back, I know that I have to follow the methods and get no misloads. This is hard for me to do since in the past I never followed the methods and still never got misloads. When management started to make a push for following the methods, I found that I would circle the route IDs without actually paying attention to what car I was in or if I had the right packages in the right car (whereas before I would actually look at the route ID and verify it in my mind, without a crayon). Now, I actually take the time to verify every single package against the placard in the truck. I have not been getting misloads (while following the method, surprisingly enough) for a while now.

Management does not seem to understand that they cannot have it both ways. Recently, the service for the two centers (which have the same PCM) in the building I work in has been terrible. Start times have been getting later rather than earlier as peak is approaching. The push for both production and service is not working. Sure, the loaders are wrapping up on time with later and later start times, but service has been suffering greatly. This is obviously because of the same reason I got misloads in the past while "following the methods": I was never actually following the methods. That is what most people do. The most important part is to actually verify the route ID, rather than pretend to verify it by circling the route ID automatically for no reason.

The funny thing is that now I am taking heat for not wrapping up as fast as the other loaders. Actually verifying route IDs, loading stop-for-stop, etc. takes time, and management does not understand that. Management actually spouts nonsense to me about having to load 240 packages per hour and getting no misloads. I tell them that they cannot have it both ways. If they keep acting like children and want everything, they will end up with nothing.

The moral of the story is to actually verify every single package against the placard in the truck. Now, you may be thinking that this is redundant, because once you are in the right truck, you will not magically teleport out of it into another one, but verifying every single package against the placard forces you to pay attention. If you simply do this, you will have no misloads. Management likes to chalk up misloads to "human error" when there a couple of them, but the simple fact is that it is not "human error", it is being rushed to meet production and the resultant failure to verify packages correctly that causes misloads.

Management will no doubt give you trouble for not wrapping up on time, but as long as you have no misloads you can show them your rationale for not wrapping up on time, namely that you are following the methods the way you are supposed to.

Justaname

SLOW DOWN!!! The belt being backed up is not your problem. It's managements refusal to hire enough people or give the current employees more time. If you get overwhelmed turn the belt off. The job is stressful I know but when it all starts to go nuts stop take a few deep breathes and remind yourself it'll all get done it always does.
This is the perfect method. When the flows heavy, stack outside the right truck. When it slows down load em up

barnyard

KTM rider
How long have you been a preloader???

Some get better with time, some never quite get the hang of it. I do think that some of what makes a better preloader is one that knows when to turn the belt off and can stand up to a manager that asks why they turned the belt off.

From what I have seen and my experience is that preloaders have more pressure than any other work group at UPS. It is almost impossible for preload to make the numbers so the PT supes are under extreme pressure to make it work and be accurate. At my center, the unload routinely makes their numbers and if the preload does, it is a rare, rare occasion.

NY11725

I'm a pick off on my belt, and this one loader thinks its my job to cut the belt, and climb down from the pick off to break a jam on the bottom belt. There are 4 loaders, and just one pick off, but he just doesn't get it. All he does is complain and complain about the 2 or 3 missorts he gets from me out of the 3000 boxes I sort through a night, not to mention my dead chute is full at least 2 times a night. The way I see it is, he should be GRATEFUL he only got 2 or 3. I hate that guy, I am so close to filing a grievance against him because it's a every day thing. It's either he complains about a missort, or complains to me to break a jam. So annoying.

anyway, to answer the OP

Just learn the sort better. Check the small state instead of the big state, since usually the smaller part of the label is the correct one. For example... we can have a 334 small, and a 339 big that will go to hialeah, or a 334 big with a 349 small which would go to orlando. Just make sure you carefully check the label

DS

Fenderbender
As long as the belt is clean at wrap it all looks good on paper.
From there on it's your ass.Why not do both? Look at the car# first,
follow the methods,talk to the driver before he leaves,let him know
about any questionable pkgs that you know of.

ymelord

My advice would not be for the loader, rather for management.
Hire more loaders, reducing the number of cars in their set and packages handled.
In doing so, make them more accountable.
How can the company pay for this without affecting the margin of profit?
Easliy; every hour of overtime within the package car driver ranks that is reduced due to better load quality and less misloads can more than pay for the whole day of each individual new hire preloader.
We already know that there will alway be a large amount of turnover in the preload.

2. There continues to be moronic drivers that come in well ahead of their scheduled start time and clean up a portion of the mess for free.
Hit the nail on the bubblehead, you are exactly right. I have drank gallons of beer having this discussion with other drivers. Who am I to argue with such intelligent supervisors, the real money to be made is using the proper methods inserting my key into the switch, saving .02 second at each stop.(yes I still have keys, probably because I am so fast)