Best way to become a delivery driver

Jake

What's the best plan to become a Delivery Driver for FedEx or UPS? It's been my dream to do that job at least once. I'm 18 now and was hired at FedEx a while ago as a package handler. I'd like to stay within FedEx and get a job as a ground driver or an express driver however both those jobs require you to have some sort of commercial driving experience and 1 year of commercial driving experience. So what's the best way to become a driver for either company?

dezguy

What's the best plan to become a Delivery Driver for FedEx or UPS? It's been my dream to do that job at least once. I'm 18 now and was hired at FedEx a while ago as a package handler. I'd like to stay within FedEx and get a job as a ground driver or an express driver however both those jobs require you to have some sort of commercial driving experience and 1 year of commercial driving experience. So what's the best way to become a driver for either company?
I don't know if you really need a year of commercial driving experience with Express. I was hired straight off the street and thrown into a W700.

From what I hear, UPS is hiring off the street at a lot of locations right now as their workforce is starting to get up there in age. I would recommend pursuing that route before trying to become a courier for any FedEx division as you will make out better in the long run with UPS.

MAKAVELI

You'll have to be 21 to drive at either company so you have to put in some time anyway as a handler . As young as you are I would definitely go with UPS.

!Retired!

I don't know if you really need a year of commercial driving experience with Express. I was hired straight off the street and thrown into a W700.

From what I hear, UPS is hiring off the street at a lot of locations right now as their workforce is starting to get up there in age. I would recommend pursuing that route before trying to become a courier for any FedEx division as you will make out better in the long run with UPS.
You don't need any commercial driving experience to drive at Express and, I read somewhere on here, UPS is not hiring 'off the street' anymore.

SmithBarney

If you are set on either as a CAREER... head over to UPS as a handler for 3years or whatever it takes to get to 21... FedEx is not a CAREER job anymore, you'll make 2.5 times at UPS in just the first year.. after you top out at UPS you'll make 3-4times what you'll make at FEDEX.
Top out at FedEx at current rates 30+ years(to make what is current top out 22-25/hr)
Top out at UPS 3yrs someone correct me around $29-34/hr

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Don't even waste your time with FEDEX youngblood. If you want a career with a pension, good benefits and opportunity to make 75 to 100k then roll over to BIG BROWN.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
...I read somewhere on here, UPS is not hiring 'off the street' anymore.
This is not true either. Our building hired quite a few temp "off the street" drivers for peak season this year. Many of them will become full-time sometime this next year.
90k+ for the 6th year in a row for me as a full time UPS driver. This job sucks quite a lot of the time, but it has allowed me to send both of my kids to college and still live a good life. My neighbor drives for FedEx and his daughter goes to the local community college because they can't afford to send her to a university.

overflowed

Hey sonny, don't go into this line of work period. You're only 18, go to college and get a degree in anything. Study worm :censored2: or something. That would be better by far. I would recommend staying away from any job at Fedex. If you are able, stay away from this industry in general.

Jake

All good words guys. However I am going to college, plan to finish at a university and do have a career path in mind for something not related to this industry. This was a DREAM and I do not intend to do it forever. I simply want to be able to live on my own when I turn 21... So far as a package handler at FedEx I love it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
All good words guys. However I am going to college, plan to finish at a university and do have a career path in mind for something not related to this industry. This was a DREAM and I do not intend to do it forever. I simply want to be able to live on my own when I turn 21... So far as a package handler at FedEx I love it.

Then enjoy it until you finish school and don't fall into the trap too many have, and stay.

dezguy

Just make sure to not get drawn in by the money (not that FedEx is all that much). Happened to me. Finished school, couldn't find a job in my field, applied at FedEx and started making the first "real" money in my life. Blinked and now I've been here almost 15 years.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Just make sure to not get drawn in by the money (not that FedEx is all that much). Happened to me. Finished school, couldn't find a job in my field, applied at FedEx and started making the first "real" money in my life. Blinked and now I've been here almost 15 years.

I've seen it happen many times over.