Best way to deal with aggressive dogs?

margaritaville

Im not a dog person, i like cats. I just find them annoying cause they bark and are too needy. But that is not my question. I dont know how to deal with aggressive ones. Ive been biten twice but not bad cause they were little ankle biters who barely broke the skin. Those ones are little bitches and im not worried about them cause i can just kick them off if they bite me.

What i am worried about is this example: I see a big rottweiler barking on other side of fence as im walking by. So i say "heyyyy doggy" in a nervous baby talk voice and keep going cause figured he is trained not to leave his fence. Then i turn around and its right in my face growling aggressively. So im like uhhh... So i just point and say "get out of here." But hes not really listening to me at all. And is just running around in circles kind of trapping me. So its making my delivery reallly slowww cause i just slow walking down this long driveway trying to get out of there. Eventually a neighbor comes out and chases him off.

The point is, i dont know how to deal with big aggressive dogs. Should i yell at him or talk to him in friendly baby talk or what.? Do i walk like im ignoring him or walk backwards facing him. Cause right now i just try to say stuff and they ignore me and im just assumming sooner or later ill have to fight one with my diad cause i dont know how to calm them down.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yelling does nothing but make the situation worse. You need to let them know in a firm, direct manner that you are in charge. A deep voice and confident manner goes a long way in dealing with aggressive dogs (and unruly children).

Overpaid Union Thug

Don't show any fear but try and do so without being aggressive towards them. Most are just showing off and/or are scared. If you can show them they have nothing to fear then many will leave you alone. That doesn't mean they will shut the hell up though.

Ring Sport

Your talking to the dog in a baby voice the dog is more than likely going to think your being weird. Having a hat and your sunglasses on could make the dog perceive you as being weird as well. I will usually remove them to see if the dog changes their behavior. Staring the dog in the eye is bad as well as they are taking it as a threat. Don't do it. But don't turn your back on them either. And never run. You run, it is now a game to them. A dog can easily tell if your nervous around them and for me it is even hard to suppress those feelings. Being firm and acting like you know what your doing is your best bet. It may not work in your favor completely, but it may allow you to get back to the car in one piece.

leastbest

LeastBest
Back in '78 I went to a house and a dog ran out. The lady yelled, "Don't worry he doesn't bite!" The dog sunk his teeth into my calf. Went to the hospital, got it sorted out. Went back a week later, the dog ran out. I put the package between me and the dog and the lady yelled, "Don't worry he doesn't bite!" I said, "He bit me last week!!". She said, "That was you?"

margaritaville

Back in '78 I went to a house and a dog ran out. The lady yelled, "Don't worry he doesn't bite!" The dog sunk his teeth into my calf. Went to the hospital, got it sorted out. Went back a week later, the dog ran out. I put the package between me and the dog and the lady yelled, "Don't worry he doesn't bite!" I said, "He bit me last week!!". She said, "That was you?"

Ya both times ive been bitten the owner said the dog doesnt bite. So whenever i hear that now i cringe.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Bring dog treats as the great equalizer and the diad in your hand as the FINISHER if he decides he wants to go manno to manno. Bet the diad wins every time lol.

scisector9

NI1 dog. Used it this week at a stop with two dogs in driveway that were snarling with hair raises up. Tried walking past and they would circle and lunge. Laid on born a few times no one came. NI1 gave to clerk end of story. On cars have used this several times while teaching me routes and support my judgement out there.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
All dogs can hear fear in your voice tone, regardless of what you say to them. They can smell your fear like cologne coming out of your skin too. You will not calm a nutty dog with any fearful attitude on your own part. If you're afraid, they know it. Period.

It's not your job to negotiate past problem dogs. If you're threatened, or can't see a safe path to the delivery point, it's NI1, call about loose dog. If you get hurt due to poor judgment, UPS will treat it like any other safe work methods deviation, that's your responsibility.