Best way to deal with aggressive dogs?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The best way to handle a dog is while they are still pups. I always try to make friends with pups and give them treats so they associate the brown truck as a buddy not a threat. It also bothers me when somebody punishes their dog for barking at me. The poor thing is just doing its job. I tell the customer that they should yell at the dog if it doesn't bark at me.

oldngray

nowhere special
awesome_dog_owners_7.jpg

Packmule

Im not a dog person, i like cats. I just find them annoying cause they bark and are too needy. But that is not my question. I dont know how to deal with aggressive ones. Ive been biten twice but not bad cause they were little ankle biters who barely broke the skin. Those ones are little bitches and im not worried about them cause i can just kick them off if they bite me.

What i am worried about is this example: I see a big rottweiler barking on other side of fence as im walking by. So i say "heyyyy doggy" in a nervous baby talk voice and keep going cause figured he is trained not to leave his fence. Then i turn around and its right in my face growling aggressively. So im like uhhh... So i just point and say "get out of here." But hes not really listening to me at all. And is just running around in circles kind of trapping me. So its making my delivery reallly slowww cause i just slow walking down this long driveway trying to get out of there. Eventually a neighbor comes out and chases him off.

The point is, i dont know how to deal with big aggressive dogs. Should i yell at him or talk to him in friendly baby talk or what.? Do i walk like im ignoring him or walk backwards facing him. Cause right now i just try to say stuff and they ignore me and im just assumming sooner or later ill have to fight one with my diad cause i dont know how to calm them down.
If a dog makes you uncomfortable do not deliver the package. Sheet it as a not in and put it on the night clerk pile as needs a call, dog.

BigBeef42

Just saw this on the net.

With wolf attacks they say to try to shove your hwnd down its throats. Thats gotta be tricky....

Sent using Ink and Canvas

Attachments

• 1413858495354.jpg
    1413858495354.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 134

RoBo

UPS robot no more
All you have to do is purchase some confidence for $20 bucks on EBay. no, seriously. The detractors will call it the weapon it is, but a small stun gun with the name 'hornet' is this man's second best friend.

I'm a 25 year driver with a country route with a pit bull rescue on area, and lots of put bull owners. I've found the put bulls are actually one of the nicer breeds, as long as you have confidence. You see, only one time have I ever had to get within a few feet of zapping a canine threat. 99% of the time the zapping cracking sound freaks a dog out that crosses my boundry of 'too close'. They don't want to find out what that sound is all about, especially because it's coming from a human that looks almost like he would enjoy testing the device on a dog that wanted a piece of said human.

My manaager knows I have it, and did not tell me not to carry it. He knows it saved me from a workmens comp claim that I would have been blamed for had that rottweiller bit me.

It happened when a young girl opened the door before I rang the bell. I gave her the box and as I turned to leave, her dog that I was unaware of aggressively and with increasing speed charged towards my crotch as I speed-walked backwards. I was reachng for my hornet when Cujo lunged for the family jewels. My first reaction was to whack it on the side of its face with the diad..hard. it stopped, and growled the most evil, "your dead" sound ever. by this time the stun gun was out and what felt like inches from lunge number two.The zap sound made it stop in its tracks and rethink things long enough for me to make it to my truck.

looking back on things, I actually had so much confidence that I stood my ground as I saw blood in the dogs mouth from the diad connection. I was yelling for the dog to come get some more, before I took the final steps back to the truck. The owner adult screamed at her daughter for almost getting the ups driver attacked.. It made me feel my actions were justified. The hornet was my defense in a nearly defenseless situation and Cujo knew I meant business.

I sent a message and let management know what I did, and what protection I took to avoid being a workers comp case. they said nothing to me.

llamainmypocket

Im a dominos driver/preloader waiting to become a package car driver. I meet 20+ dogs on a daily basis so I've met thousands over the years. I have the same ritual for all of them. Come down to their level to greet them, aknowledge there presence, present your hand palm down from the ground up so they can sniff you, allow them to walk behind you to smell if they prefer it, touch them on the top but not underneath such as neck but not throat and then you're good. Watch them and anticipate what they're comfortable with.

Some dogs have issues. Sometimes dogs dont like baseball caps and you just need to respect that. Try to treat them like they want to be treated. It's probably fewer than 1 out of 5000 dogs that is actually a theat. Ive had more probablems with dangerous people than dangerous dogs.

Upsee

If you run into one, quickly call Cesar Milan and ask for advice, if he is filming his secretary should be able to asses the situation..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I just assume every dog I run into is going to try to bite me and I may have to give an asswhoopin.
I just assume every dog I run into wants to be petted and to get a biscuit. Dogs are pretty good at picking up on vibes. All the dogs on my route love me and I haven't been bitten in almost 28 years so I must be doing something right.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Dogs are pretty good at picking up on vibes.

Dogs are VERY good on picking up vibes. They know who likes them and who doesn't. There is a boxer at a business on my route. She goes crazy when I pull up outside. Barking until I get inside. Friday, when I was there, the owner said, "I don't know what it is about you, she usually doesn't like people, but she gets so excited when you come." She is trained, but won't sit still when I'm there, trying to get her treat. I've had a lot of dog owners tell me that.

mikeyb

So, what does the company allow us to carry? I've tried dog treats unsuccessfully and usually show no fear but there is always that one that's hard to deal with or as I've seen several times, that one that surprises you around a corner. I figured pepper spray wasn't allowed to be carried on the truck since its a chemical.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
So, what does the company allow us to carry? I've tried dog treats unsuccessfully and usually show no fear but there is always that one that's hard to deal with or as I've seen several times, that one that surprises you around a corner. I figured pepper spray wasn't allowed to be carried on the truck since its a chemical.
its just one of the many hazards about our job. you can go 30 years without one single dog incident or you could have many... their is a lot of luck involved, area u deliver in etc... Ive only been bit one time in 10 years as a driver where it broke the skin. it was by a small terrier mix. rarely have problems with bigger dogs. I would keep doing the dog treat thing. good luck.