Better, not Bigger

brown metal coffin

Folks keep saying over and over that we are making pennies on the dollar off amazon or we are loosing money. Before rate increases and the fees for shipping over the 25,000 packages in any week for peak we were making $6.00 per ground piece and $10 per air piece and it costs Amazon $3.00 per package to do it themselves in house. Keep mind we hit them again with the returns (call tags) at another $6.00 a piece. Even in the rural areas not to mention the cities; Amazon has so much density that we are most times already going to a location and they are tagging along for the ride to the same address much like surepost. We are making Billions and I mean Billions of dollars a year of packages of places we are already going to be at. I absolutely assure you we are not losing money especially crushing earnings the way we do. They are not going anywhere and we control the narrative and the price. Now in addition to them doing one day shipping they have now crawled into bed with us even deeper. Let's not leave out that you will only see amazon buildings in heavy metropolitan areas as they have no plans to build hubs out in the midwest and lower population areas so to speak and that is our specialty. We have 3 amazon buildings within a 25 mile radius of us (distribution center, big item delivery center and small package delivery center) and we haven't lost not a step in upstate new york. As a matter of fact people are going full time right off the street when it took me 10 years because of the volume.

Despite talk of budding rivalry, Amazon and UPS may find they’re stuck with each other - FreightWaves

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Doesn't help that the Unions been letting them perfect the PVD usage.
Yep. Everyone is all gung ho for a strike and don't realize UPS has been slowly learning the best way to utilize PVDs. In our area we saw how well UPS could handle peak volume with very little helpers and lots of PVDs.

Imagine if we go on strike. First thing UPS will do is hire as many PVDs for $30 an hour to deliver a good percentage of the volume and pt/ft sups to deliver what ever else they can.

This in no way will be sustainable but it will allow UPS to keep us out longer till most of the people that live pay check to pay check break and cross.

That's just my opinion.

AKCoverMan

Do you really think we're getting $11 on a 5 pack of ballpoint pens? Or a case of water? A lot of these items in the Amazon bubble mailers aren't even worth $11.
We're delivering all those little knickknacks that people used to buy in the checkout lane
No.. I said “average” package revenue is $11. It is. You can go look it’s reported quarterly. Obviously some are more and some are less but I doubt many are $2. Yes Amazon and probably some other accounts get deep discounts but in the end it averages $11 a package. The cheaper packages add stop density.. incremental income on route when we are already driving near or right past the stop anyway.

542thruNthru

Then it becomes your job to make sure this fails
I don't live pay check to pay check. I also tell people that they should save $20 a week for the life of the contract. That money on top of whatever they may receive from the IBT after 2 weeks should help anyone last a few months, if not longer.

Any ft upser especially drivers at top rate living “paycheck to paycheck” are doing it wrong.

It's amazing. Had a driver that made $100k last year borrow $1,500 from me for two months around Christmas. Didn't say why he needed it, but he's a good dude so I didn't ask. I loaned it to him, but it just kinda blew me away as we live in a rural area with relatively low cost of living.

AKCoverMan

It's amazing. Had a driver that made $100k last year borrow $1,500 from me for two months around Christmas. Didn't say why he needed it, but he's a good dude so I didn't ask. I loaned it to him, but it just kinda blew me away as we live in a rural area with relatively low cost of living.
The other thing that makes me shake my head are top rate drivers who have been running 55 hours so long they don’t know how to operate on a 40-45 hour paycheck.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yep. Everyone is all gung ho for a strike and don't realize UPS has been slowly learning the best way to utilize PVDs. In our area we saw how well UPS could handle peak volume with very little helpers and lots of PVDs.

Imagine if we go on strike. First thing UPS will do is hire as many PVDs for $30 an hour to deliver a good percentage of the volume and pt/ft sups to deliver what ever else they can.

This in no way will be sustainable but it will allow UPS to keep us out longer till most of the people that live pay check to pay check break and cross.

That's just my opinion.
And we have the teamsters to thank for it.

PT Car Washer

I think ups will take this path when they are ready to break the union & hire $20 drivers off the streets. They will offer a contract that noone would agree to & not budge.
I don't think they are quite ready for it though. They need navigation in every vehicle and Orion to learn proper routing 1st.
My building has been hiring $20/hr drivers off the street for several years now.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Only major obstacle in the PVD scab theory is moving work to the scabs. Any strike shuts down the supply and processing.

BrownSnowFlake

If the union should go on strike I'm volunteering for a deployment or otherwise getting put on orders, and you boys can figure it out without me. I know solidarity sounds nice in theory but I get a newsletter every month with a list of all the outstanding embezzlement cases on the back page.

542thruNthru

If the union should go on strike I'm volunteering for a deployment or otherwise getting put on orders, and you boys can figure it out without me. I know solidarity sounds nice in theory but I get a newsletter every month with a list of all the outstanding embezzlement cases on the back page.
Ok.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You sound like a p uzzy