Between access points and Amazon locker.... How many routes will be cut

Faceplanted

so..... Access points are cutting routes. some drivers would have 10-20 resi send agains, now those are going to access points. I figure at least 200 stops are being saved per day thanks to access points. So let's say about 1.5-2 routes can be cut

Now Amazon locker is coming. These lockers will hold 20 or so packages. We should have about 20 lockers in my center. 400 more stops will be gone. Another 2-3 routes

How is this not a union issue. We are loosing full time jobs yet the union says nothing. "It's making our job easier".

Faceplanted

What... so ups is saving money and your complaining. We dont make money on send agains.... dont know if you knew that....
The customer pays for 3 attempts to the door concerning regular deliveries. Don't know if YOU knew that

We don't save money on Orion but ups uses that so your whole argument doesn't exist

With your logic we might as well just have every customer come to the hub/center and pick up their packages as ups wastes tons of money paying drivers

Back on topic

Last edited:

Faceplanted

I don't know exactly how the locker is going to work. if it's people requesting it, that's fine with me. But if it's like access point where customers don't have a choice I have an issue with it

Acess point was explained to us like we were helping the customer. Turns out were not.

Amazon locker is explained the same. Following ups history and precident I'm gonna assume it's not either.

Last edited:

dudebro

so..... Access points are cutting routes. some drivers would have 10-20 resi send agains, now those are going to access points. I figure at least 200 stops are being saved per day thanks to access points. So let's say about 1.5-2 routes can be cut

Now Amazon locker is coming. These lockers will hold 20 or so packages. We should have about 20 lockers in my center. 400 more stops will be gone. Another 2-3 routes

How is this not a union issue. We are loosing full time jobs yet the union says nothing. "It's making our job easier".
It's positions like this that will give the union a bad rep among people who don't know a lot about unions.

This is a matter of becoming more efficient. Send agains are not efficient, and we don't make the customer pay for 3 attempts, we GRANT 3 attempts in an effort to not tick off the customer.

If we were giving the job to a non-union worker you might have an argument, but all we're doing is making an existing job more cost effective.

Under your logic, UPS should have been prevented from putting in extendos for an unloader, because it's faster than using T-stands and rollers and it allows us to operate with fewer unloaders.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I agree with OP. Ups is slowly getting rid of the qualities that made it such a successful company to begin with. Packages should not be sent to AP after only the first attempt, thats horrible customer service. I would agree SOME could go after 2 attempts, but most packages should only go to AP if NI3 since Ups is known to make 3 attempts.

I don't know what amazon lockers are but it sounds like just another way to eliminate union jobs which none of us should support. Right now there are 4 laid off drivers in our center who only work mainly Wed. and Thurs. and we are a small center of 27 drivers. So if they keep cutting routes and adding crap like "amazon lockers" then lays off will go up and Ups won't hire anyone.

I am getting more and more worried everyday for my career because I want to work for at least another 29 years. But with the increase of competition and Ups seriously lacking in customer service, I have my doubts that I'll have a job until retirement.

Faceplanted

But we have to make profit and be efficient....

New flash....every quarter is record.

It's positions like this that will give the union a bad rep among people who don't know a lot about unions.

This is a matter of becoming more efficient. Send agains are not efficient, and we don't make the customer pay for 3 attempts, we GRANT 3 attempts in an effort to not tick off the customer.

If we were giving the job to a non-union worker you might have an argument, but all we're doing is making an existing job more cost effective.

Under your logic, UPS should have been prevented from putting in extendos for an unloader, because it's faster than using T-stands and rollers and it allows us to operate with fewer unloaders.
Extendos help out internal customers aka the employee and reduce injuries.

I'm all for that

How is an access point helping the driver or the customer? It only helps ups profit and upper management get bigger bonuses. See the difference?

Last edited:

dudebro

This IS an effort to be competitive as well, if you're worried about competition. If you think it's better for us to tell customers they can't get their packages out of an access point until 3 attempts, maybe you haven't seen this meme that's all over the internet...the customer WANTS this flexibility.

upload_2016-9-27_14-44-2.png

Rack em

Made the Podium
This IS an effort to be competitive as well, if you're worried about competition. If you think it's better for us to tell customers they can't get their packages out of an access point until 3 attempts, maybe you haven't seen this meme that's all over the internet...the customer WANTS this flexibility.

View attachment 98174
But the customer should request it, it shouldn't be automatic

dudebro

But we have to make profit and be efficient....

New flash....every quarter is record.

Extendos help out internal customers aka the employee and reduce injuries.

I'm all for that

How is an access point helping me the driver of the customer? It only helps ups profit and upper management get bigger bonuses. See the difference?

I have a news flash for you - every quarter is also a record for compensation to our employees.

You act as though profits are somehow evil. If UPS isn't profitable, what leverage is the union negotiation team going to have to demand higher pay in the next contract?

What happened to "the more they make, the more we take"? You should be a FAN of profit.

Faceplanted

View attachment 98174
U management? I never had 1 Cuctomer ever request an access point or be happy their package went there. Instead I get complaints daily. Get out of your fantasy world

dudebro

U management? I never had 1 Cuctomer ever request an access point or be happy their package went there. Instead I get complaints daily. Get out of your fantasy world
I am. You realize, you'll ONLY hear complaints. The consignee who used My Choice on the UPS app on their smartphone to have the center redirect the package to a locker, and picked it up from there, probably isn't going to stop to tell you about it. If I'm in a fantasy world, I submit that you're in a narrow one defined by only your package car. As important as service providers are, there's a broader perspective.

Faceplanted

I am. You realize, you'll ONLY hear complaints. The consignee who used My Choice on the UPS app on their smartphone to have the center redirect the package to a locker, and picked it up from there, probably isn't going to stop to tell you about it. If I'm in a fantasy world, I submit that you're in a narrow one defined by only your package car. As important as service providers are, there's a broader perspective.
Enjoy the ac/heat brother. I'll be out here actually dealing with customer and constantly fixing your guys screw ups.

All the my choice customers usually just sign up for dr at their door. I barely ever see adress corrected packages which would be from my choice. 99% of adress corrected packages I see have service crosses for exceptions.... So those aren't my choice can we agree?

Unless your an oms you really have no clue.

Last edited:

sandwich

The resident gearhead
We've had amazon lockers here for a few years. They rarely get anything. We also have access points. The only thing access points have done is make them put in a bulk truck when its too much for the regular driver to contain. None of this stuff has even come close to eliminating one route.

Faceplanted

We've had amazon lockers here for a few years. They rarely get anything. We also have access points. The only thing access points have done is make them put in a bulk truck when its too much for the regular driver to contain. None of this stuff has even come close to eliminating one route.
If all these actually got re attempted to the original adress there would be more routes. The fact you have bulk trucks shows just how much work is going to access points and actually further proves my point

sandwich

The resident gearhead
If all these actually got re attempted to the original adress there would be more routes. The fact you have bulk trucks shows just how much work is going to access points and actually further proves my point
No. They haven't eliminated any routes due to ap. But they have to ADD a route due to the new bulk stop they have created.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Its 3 to 4 send agains. 3 to 4 reattempts per route does nothing to eliminate a route or eliminate work off anyone. But 3-4 stops per route per area is enough to create a bulk stop.

Last edited: