Bid drivers being considered cover drivers?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So, this morning after I was put on route A, a senior driver came in and decided to bump me so he would work and I would be off. I told him I really wasn't trying to go home, but he didn't seem to care. Bringing the situation to my boss, his response was that since he is cover as well, he could bump me.

Now, I know exactly how bumping and seniority work, but my issue here is that he is NOT a cover driver. This driver HAS a bid route but he has never been trained on it. I spoke to my steward and was told I could request my guaranteed 8, which I knew, but at that point I was already heated. If this driver is not being put on his bid route, is there anything I can grieve or not, since I decided to go home?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Going home isn't going to help your cause, but I do believe there is still something there.

What happened to the 'brother' in brotherhood? Nothing like your own union screwing you out of money you voted for them to protect. Silly stuff right there....

balland chain

If that drivers run was cut then he can bump a junior driver..Kinda sucks but it has happened to me too many times. ! Even though this happened, you are still guaranteed 8 hours if you reported to work on time. If they did not offer you work, I would file a grievance.. Too many times they say they have nothing for you to do.. That is their problem.. If you were sent home, file a grievance for you guaranteed 8 hours...

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
That's just the thing, his route wasn't cut he just doesn't know it. We bid routes earlier this year and every driver was supposed to be on their new bid routes as of 3 weeks ago, this guy doesn't know the route and isn't pressing the issue to be put on his new route so he's basically "in limbo", which from my point of view falls into the category of "how the hell does it affect me?" I was offered work but I opted to burn a sick day instead and come home and calm down, since I was pretty heated

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's just the thing, his route wasn't cut he just doesn't know it. We bid routes earlier this year and every driver was supposed to be on their new bid routes as of 3 weeks ago, this guy doesn't know the route and isn't pressing the issue to be put on his new route so he's basically "in limbo", which from my point of view falls into the category of "how the hell does it affect me?" I was offered work but I opted to burn a sick day instead and come home and calm down, since I was pretty heated

This is really nothing to get heated over. Stuff like this will happen all the time over the next 30 years. I
Would file for the route to be put back up for bid if I were you.

Also depends on your local. Here we have full time coverage and even bid coverage. Even if the high seniority man route is cut and he wants to bump the low man he's not able to if the low man is a bid coverage driver.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In our supplement they have 2 months from the end of the bids or something like that (I don't know specifically since it doesn't pertain to me)

Coldworld

60 months and counting
What is the reason that UPS gives for having to bid all routes every year...seems like a big distraction to the customers.

DOK

Ups actually doesn't want the rebids, costs them money, it is the union that pushes to have that in the contract.

DOK

Question is, what seniority does the guy that's covering the other route have? The route that the fulltime bid driver is supposed to be running.

In my local if a bid driver keeps coming off their route (Even if they do not know it), you can file too have it go up for bid. Also they can not have a chance too bid on it. My lacol also doesn't do year to year bid's for package driver's. So yours might be different. Good luck.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
You are gaurenteed 8. They called you into work. To do that area. He is only allowed to bump lowest bid area. Not the route he wants to go to. It is bs. But sounds like he is their sack sucker.

Overpaid Union Thug

The only way the OP has a case is if the other driver is a bid driver. UPS has until May 1rst to get him on his new route. Until then he is to stay on his current route. An 8 hr request around apply to his bid route.

So, this morning after I was put on route A, a senior driver came in and decided to bump me so he would work and I would be off. I told him I really wasn't trying to go home, but he didn't seem to care. Bringing the situation to my boss, his response was that since he is cover as well, he could bump me.

Now, I know exactly how bumping and seniority work, but my issue here is that he is NOT a cover driver. This driver HAS a bid route but he has never been trained on it. I spoke to my steward and was told I could request my guaranteed 8, which I knew, but at that point I was already heated. If this driver is not being put on his bid route, is there anything I can grieve or not, since I decided to go home?
If he is not doing his bid route and your steward isn't enforcing the contract you should file a grievance that a bid driver isn't doing his route. This is a grievance for sure.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The only way the OP has a case is if the other driver is a bid driver. UPS has until May 1rst to get him on his new route. Until then he is to stay on his current route. An 8 hr request around apply to his bid route.

He is a bid driver, the route he bid this year he hasn't been trained on. And, to make matters worse they have now taken two other drivers and put them back onto the routes they just bid off of because this guy doesn't know his "new route". So there are now 3 bid drivers not running routes they shouldn't be all because of a lazy management team.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If he is not doing his bid route and your steward isn't enforcing the contract you should file a grievance that a bid driver isn't doing his route. This is a grievance for sure.

That's what I thought. I'll talk with my steward again tomorrow and see what we can do about this garbage.

balland chain

The drivers on those bid runs need to say NO.. I am not giving up my run. If the other driver does not know the cover runs that is MGMT's problem not his..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Have the driver go out cold on the route....what's the big deal???? You usually learn it faster than having a sup going out with you who is more worried about having a smoke break every 20 minutes rather than help you learn the route.

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
Yes file the grievance for 8 hrs or however many you would have worked and start a chain reaction of bumping if you have seniority to do so. The more moves they have to make forces them to action they don't like that so they will be more inclined to train or repost for bid