Bid Has Begun!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We do ours every two years, we have another year here. I hate bid time. Even though I'm third from the top out of sixty, there is still one guy with more seniority that talks about rolling me off my route. Its a necessary evil though. I'm amazed that in some parts of the country, there are no bids unless a route comes open. I can't imagine being stuck on a garbage run for most of my career.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
We do ours every two years, we have another year here. I hate bid time. Even though I'm third from the top out of sixty, there is still one guy with more seniority that talks about rolling me off my route. Its a necessary evil though. I'm amazed that in some parts of the country, there are no bids unless a route comes open. I can't imagine being stuck on a garbage run for most of my career.

Yes it does happen that you can get stuck, but for just the reason you dread bid time, there is great satisfaction in knowing you are fairly well set once you have a bid you like. Here in the West, its only "bid when available". The only other issue in this regard is route cutting, where areas can shift in any direction and even jump over your route to "create" a plan day for your adjacent routes as happens everywhere daily.

I bid the route of our highest seniority retiring driver years ago and at the time no one else above me wanted it. Best decisiion I ever made. Now its one of the best routes in our center.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The union is telling us not to bid, "respectfully decline" lol. once again the company insists on making jobs that are hub-hub which don't qualify as 22.3.

upser_J

The union is telling us not to bid, "respectfully decline" lol. once again the company insists on making jobs that are hub-hub which don't qualify as 22.3.
I was instructed to trace my hand on the bid sheet and leave only one finger up.... but all kidding aside, they were also creating 2 hour lunches in many of the bid jobs

:thumbsup: (and no its not that one)

and i would love a hub hub job... but only for top rate

CharleyHustle

We have "bid when available" and it was always nice to get a decent route and know you can stay there. However with the advent of PAS, EDD, satelitte routes, what have you, it is now possible for your once gravy run to change drasticly from year to year or even day to day. I've been kinda advocating going to a yearly or every other year bid, just to try to protect your route and your senority.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I was instructed to trace my hand on the bid sheet and leave only one finger up.... but all kidding aside, they were also creating 2 hour lunches in many of the bid jobs

:thumbsup: (and no its not that one)

and i would love a hub hub job... but only for top rate

:devil3:

The 2 hour lunch part was fixed, at least.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
You guys make the bid process tough. Down here, Package bids once a year, in January. Feeders will bid twice a year, March and September. Bid list goes up for a week, and everybody checks to make sure that all the particulaiers are correct, and the bid begins one week after that. On Package you might not get your route right away, if you have to be trained on it by an on road, but with feeders, we change the Monday after the last run is bid. Of course, we only have 3 feeder runs, and we all know each others runs, so it's no biggy.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You guys make the bid process tough. Down here, Package bids once a year, in January. Feeders will bid twice a year, March and September. Bid list goes up for a week, and everybody checks to make sure that all the particulaiers are correct, and the bid begins one week after that. On Package you might not get your route right away, if you have to be trained on it by an on road, but with feeders, we change the Monday after the last run is bid. Of course, we only have 3 feeder runs, and we all know each others runs, so it's no biggy.

It is tough. There are 6 facilities in the bid, plus all package/22.3/clerks bid together. Feeders is a seperate list. It sounds like your lists are tighter.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
But I think the company won on the 3 hour start time difference from Sunday to Monday.

I did not see that, but will take a look this evening. Not sure if it's in the bid but from what you say it sounds like it.
I'm officially bidding out. My job, in the bid, was changed to 5pm air shuttle - 2 hour lunch - midnight hub. Might stay in CHEMA but defniitly not staying twi-mid, if possible. No matter what job it is.

Interestingly all the vacated 22.3 jobs disappeared. The # of jobs is exactly equal to the number of employees. Hopefully there are grievances heard in March on this. The part-timers deserve a shot to bid into them. it always pains me to see the PTs who want to go FT running around working hard, yet the same company they are busting **** for screw them out of the job they should have earned.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Sleve come on back to Watma, I'm giving up my cc/air job.
Going to take a inside / inside something.
Miller and Burns also are willing to give up their runs too.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I recruited a few CHEMA people to take over the coutner...one might be going WAT preload, or taking your job, or squirrelys. Not sure about the other couple I talked to. most people are all talk but when it comes down it bid the safe thing. Too bad because this building is terrible compared to Watertown and Norwood.

Would not surprise me at all if both "smokey" and "squirelly" are bidding something else when it's their turn this time around, or at least one of them.

I'd love to go back, but it's too far. Chelmsford is already 30+ miles.

over9five

Staff member
I bid yesterday. All Package, no emergency fallback position, no going back. I will be a Package car driver at the end of the bid.