Bid route after covering for 1 year?

Overpaid Union Thug

So this is a unique situation. I have been at UPS 1 year now(hired full time off street) I qualified on a route and then stayed on this route for 1 year. I have been told by other drivers that technically i can claim that route as a bid route because i have been on it for 1 year. Is this true? And if so there is still an issue i am unclear about. This route was originally run by a top seniority guy. He got "injured" and went on disability for a short time. But he never gave UPS an injury date. During this time he also put himself into "active duty" for the national guard. He was no enlisted. He sought this job out. So he was cheating UPS by claiming disability and also working for the guard. SO he has just come back and i have been kicked off this route and put on :censored2: i hate. He originally thought he was going to be able to retire by having his military years count but UPS has denied that request. So if they denied his years of service does this mean i can file a grievance and claim the route as my own bid route? Because if they denied him the years then how do they hold his route for him? its contradictory.

UPS is about to get embarrassed in court if they continue to deny the man his years of military service.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The building I work out of has experienced this situation before as well. We called it "squatters rights". Problem was that the union forced their hands, management wasn't bidding out routes. We had guys get routes with no seniority just because UPS didn't move them off the routes. Well as you could imagine it infuriated a lot of drivers that had more juice but weren't lucky enough to of been left on a route. Well this is no longer an issue cause the union is on them like white on rice now when it comes to bidding. Also our bids are for life.

Overpaid Union Thug

Did he disclose the fact that he was on disability from UPS before signing his enlistment papers?
Who knows? But if the guy was on orders UPS has to honor that time for pension credit. And an injury that doesn't allow work as a UPS may not be so in the military. There is plenty of busy work and administrative jobs. Especially if he were in the Air Force.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Who knows? But if the guy was on orders UPS has to honor that time for pension credit. And an injury that doesn't allow work as a UPS may not be so in the military. There is plenty of busy work and administrative jobs. Especially if he were in the Air Force.

There is no way the military would have taken him had they known he was currently out on disability.

Overpaid Union Thug

There is no way the military would have taken him had they known he was currently out on disability.

The OP didn't say what type of disability the guy was out on though. During my time in the reserves and guard I saw more than a few people on orders that were out on disability from their civilian employers. In fact, being out on disability was exactly why they were put on orders because being on orders either made up the difference in pay (if they were even being paid) or actually exceeded their normal pay. I was on temp disability for an out of work injury once and could have went on orders if I had still been in the guard. I would have don it too because our temp disability paid $300/week. I could have made pretty decent bank in the guard while I healed. Just because someone isn't able to perform their manual labor job doesn't mean they can't push a pencil/mouse pad in an administrative role.

OP was wrong about pretty much everything else regarding his situation so I would say he's wrong about that as well.

He actually didn't have anything to say regarding whether or not the driver in question should have been able to get credit for his military service time. That was all me. There was definitely some holes and missing information in the story though.

Overpaid Union Thug

OUT, it is one thing to already be a Reservist and then go on disability with your civilian employer.

It is quite another to do it in reverse.

There is so much vagueness and missing information in his post it's hard to know for sure but it sounds like the guy was already in the guard before he was injured and went on orders shortly after getting injured. The reason I think that is because the OP mentioned that the guy thought he was going to retire with his years of military service being counted too. If he is old enough to retire from UPS I doubt the guy is anywhere near the cutoff age (he'd be too old) to join the guard (unless he was prior service). Or maybe the guy didn't try to retire yet but was just denied his years of service on his pension credit? Either way UPS is wrong for not giving him pension credit for his military service. Whether he screwed them on disability or not.