Bid route after covering for 1 year?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you're in the Southern Supplement, I can clear up some air for you.

If a bid route driver goes out on LTD disability or any absence that will take him off his route longer than 45 days, the route is placed up for temporary bid. The route will go up to all drivers in the building, once the highest signed name wins the bid, two things can happen. One, if the driver had a route, his route will be placed for bid, only non-bid holding drivers will be allowed to bid on it. Second, if the driver had no route, then it ends there and no other moves are needed.

Now, on to what happens if the original driver comes back or not. When/if that driver comes back, all drivers (max of two in the above scenario) get placed back to where they were. This is the reason for the 2 move max bidding system, instead of the normal 4. Now, if the original driver fails to come back and separates employment with the employer, the route goes back up for bid as a permanent move immediately. In the Southern Supplement we rebid all routes every 2 years, except in contract years which we sometimes do 3.

All of the above is of course if you stewards are doing their job and you hold them accountable.

Last edited:

Fragile

Routes for life over here.

When someone get's fired or retires, or goes to feeder, we bid their route here.

Fragile

In what local can ups give someone a route without going through the bidding process?

Many of them, I'm in 804... if no one bids on a route that runs every day the lowest seniority full time cover driver is assigned to it.

That blows. I don't think there is a driver in our center that would want that. We like options. LOL!

Great for Christmas tips. I know drivers who have been on their routes for 20+ years. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Many of them, I'm in 804... if no one bids on a route that runs every day the lowest seniority full time cover driver is assigned to it.

Great for Christmas tips. I know drivers who have been on their routes for 20+ years. I wouldn't want it any other way.
I agree in my local also lowest senoirity if nobody bids.......but I think he said that he wants the route to become his without ever bidding just because he covered it for a year

Overpaid Union Thug

Screw the Christmas tips. :) We like the option to move around. With more and more residential and commercial construction taking place routes can change quickly. We've had more than a few bid drivers bail on their customers after being with them for decades (or less). One of our routes is the perfect example of why rebidding every once in a while is a great idea. It started out as a light commercial route back in the mid 1980s with a semi rural area after lunch with only one, one story, apartment complex and a few pickups. After 20 years it has blown up into a monster with double the commercial stops, ten times the apartments (most of witch are two or three story buildings), no more rural area (filled in with massive neighborhoods, and plenty of pickups. Even after they condensed the route it was a nightmare for the high seniority driver and his knees. There are plenty of other routes that have changed so much too but some people want a change of scenery regardless of whether or not they like their route.

barnyard

KTM rider

The route is still up for bid, no one signed it. The OP thinks that covering for a period of time automatically gives him/her the route.

I covered a route for 3 years while the routeholder was on LTD. Once the disability issue was settled and the driver retired, the route went up for bid. It did not matter that I did it for 3 years. Someone with higher seniority bid it and I went back to the unassigned pool.