Bid route vacated? Is it supposed to be rebid?

WayBill

There’s a bid route in our center that was created a few years back with the stipulation that it can be cut when volume fluctuates. The FT driver that ended up winning the bid has lower seniority than several non bid coverage drivers. This driver often performs poorly & I’ve noticed that he usually works the preload then air drives each day now instead of doing his bid route. At 1st on the driver lineup each day, it would always list his name, then another driver would be assigned to do his route, usually 3 or 4 days a week. Now it is left blank each day & other coverage drivers are assigned to it, sometimes with lower seniority than said poorly performing driver. Should this route be rebid? I’ve looked for this type of situation in the contract, to no avail.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
There’s a bid route in our center that was created a few years back with the stipulation that it can be cut when volume fluctuates. The FT driver that ended up winning the bid has lower seniority than several non bid coverage drivers. This driver often performs poorly & I’ve noticed that he usually works the preload then air drives each day now instead of doing his bid route. At 1st on the driver lineup each day, it would always list his name, then another driver would be assigned to do his route, usually 3 or 4 days a week. Now it is left blank each day & other coverage drivers are assigned to it, sometimes with lower seniority than said poorly performing driver. Should this route be rebid? I’ve looked for this type of situation in the contract, to no avail.

Why does it matter if you think he performs poorly?

WayBill

I just feel like mgmt is doing something sneaky to make their numbers look better by not allowing this driver to do his bid route. It is basically a split route, but like I said, the line where this driver’s name is supposed to be each day is left blank now, & mgmt. will put whoever they want on the route.

WayBill

Why does it matter if you think he performs poorly?

It doesn’t matter to me. I’m just trying to figure out if it’s possible for it to go back up for bid if the driver that won the bid never does it, & is never assigned to it, & on the line where it shows the bid driver’s names on our daily line up, it is always left blank now & whoever is assigned to it each day it is in will be listed just to the right of that for said day only. Just curious. I don’t think mgmt. is handling it correctly.

542thruNthru

Your questions would depend on your supplemental bidding language in your local.

Here we have weekly bidding on open routes. His route would have to be bid weekly if this happen. If not a grievance would be filed.

Your situation has happened here but it was a runner management liked to move around. Our BA got involved and put a stop to it. I suggest you contact your BA and explain the situation.

WayBill

Your questions would depend on your supplemental bidding language in your local.

Here we have weekly bidding on open routes. His route would have to be bid weekly if this happen. If not a grievance would be filed.

Your situation has happened here but it was a runner management liked to move around. Our BA got involved and put a stop to it. I suggest you contact your BA and explain the situation.

At our center, only 4 drivers can bid vacations. The others are unassigned. A couple of them try to sign to do routes for a full week, but mgmt. rarely honors it. Moves them around trying to avoid 9.5’s since a lot of the unassigned drivers don’t have 4 years in yet. Good answer though. I’ll inquire with the union when I get a chance.