bid sheet sat. air

d-rek357

So did you just sign the bid sheet or did you win the bid?

Top rate for an air driver is 24.74 after progression and if your air qualified and they need someone to run air during the week they can use you, at least around my parts

mikeny

Service Provider
So did you just sign the bid sheet or did you win the bid?

Top rate for an air driver is 24.74 after progression and if your air qualified and they need someone to run air during the week they can use you, at least around my parts

i signed the bid sheet a year ago, but just got picked now along with a few other co-workers. driving school will be in 2-3 weeks.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
I went to driving school back in Feb 2012, in J-ville. Our instructor was Shelly. Real nice lady, very laid back. We stayed in the Fairfield Inn on Airport Rd, which is about 15 mins from the school/hub. Great thing about J-ville was you could eat at Ruby Tuesdays, Zaxbys and 1 other place, tell them who you are and UPS paid for dinner (she made prior arrangements). She asked to keep it about $15.00. If not, save your receipts. Of course, you cant claim it for reimbursement. We went to BWW the night before school started, which was Super Bowl (Giants/Pats) and I drank to much. We went again Thursday night to celebrate, again, I drank to much. As far as the class, we didnt do our 5 seeing habits and 10pt commentary until Tuesday. We drove around the hub on Wed with Shelly. Then a group of 7 went with some guy from Orlando, out in the city. He drove 1st, explained what he wanted to be done and said, then everyone got a chance to drive. It is very stressful doing the 5 and 10 (word for word) and the 2 minute thing-a-ma-jigaroo. He grades you and tells you what you need to work on. Thursday is the driving test, 2 groups. Same stuff. Friday was a half day and Shelly bought Subway for the class. Word of advice, know your stuff before you get there. Practice the 2 minute do-hicky while driving your own car and try to learn the DIAD a little before you leave(punching in and out, vehicle and mileage, deliveries and pickups, cod's and info notices). I was done with the DIAD Wed morning, some people were still finishing on Friday. Nobody failed, but 2 people should have. I was paid cover driver pay, but I we had previous people who went and were paid air pay. Good luck, hope this helps and enjoy!

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Pay starts at $11.50
seniority $12.50
Seniority + 1 year $13.00
Seniority + 18 months $13.50
Seniority + 24 months Top rate

REad article 40 Section (1) (k) 1, 2 ,3 and Section 6 (a) 1, 2 or just read all of Article 40 and pay attention to where it says PT..

You really make that little being a Saturday Air Driver?? That's how much I'm making right now p/t. I was hoping it would be more like 16$ + an hour.

Saturday air is the biggest racket that UPS has going for them. There is the NDA charge plus another flat rate for Saturday delivery, they pay the least experienced and thus, the cheapest, drivers to deliver the package and make a tremendous profit off of it.

mikeny

Service Provider
I went to driving school back in Feb 2012, in J-ville. Our instructor was Shelly. Real nice lady, very laid back. We stayed in the Fairfield Inn on Airport Rd, which is about 15 mins from the school/hub. Great thing about J-ville was you could eat at Ruby Tuesdays, Zaxbys and 1 other place, tell them who you are and UPS paid for dinner (she made prior arrangements). She asked to keep it about $15.00. If not, save your receipts. Of course, you cant claim it for reimbursement. We went to BWW the night before school started, which was Super Bowl (Giants/Pats) and I drank to much. We went again Thursday night to celebrate, again, I drank to much. As far as the class, we didnt do our 5 seeing habits and 10pt commentary until Tuesday. We drove around the hub on Wed with Shelly. Then a group of 7 went with some guy from Orlando, out in the city. He drove 1st, explained what he wanted to be done and said, then everyone got a chance to drive. It is very stressful doing the 5 and 10 (word for word) and the 2 minute thing-a-ma-jigaroo. He grades you and tells you what you need to work on. Thursday is the driving test, 2 groups. Same stuff. Friday was a half day and Shelly bought Subway for the class. Word of advice, know your stuff before you get there. Practice the 2 minute do-hicky while driving your own car and try to learn the DIAD a little before you leave(punching in and out, vehicle and mileage, deliveries and pickups, cod's and info notices). I was done with the DIAD Wed morning, some people were still finishing on Friday. Nobody failed, but 2 people should have. I was paid cover driver pay, but I we had previous people who went and were paid air pay. Good luck, hope this helps and enjoy!

thanks a lot for that. the DIAD should be no problem for me as i have had plenty of experience with them. and what is this 2 minute thing??

FilingBluesFL

Basically it's almost all memorizing the 10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits, and all other safety stuff.

Basically to pass the class, for the class I took, you had to write out the 10 point commentary and 5 seeing habits WORD FOR WORD, Including all punctuation. You had to have it written the exactly same way as it's printed on the paper.

You get two chances at the end of the week. You flunk it twice, you're gone. They give you practice tests, memorize and repeat it over and over and over. That's the MOST important part.

My school was only an hour away, so I drove to/from every day, got great gas mileage, so between pay for the week and gas, I made out good!

Saturday air is always my favorite thing to deliver. I ALWAYS answer when I get a call from the center on Saturday, and make sure to bring a nice, big cigar with me!

Pay attention in class. My class, the instructor booted two people, for screwing around and being stupid, showing up late, etc.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
Its where you call out as many things you see in 2 minutes. Speed, eye lead time, left mirror, dirty left, etc

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Basically it's almost all memorizing the 10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits, and all other safety stuff.

Basically to pass the class, for the class I took, you had to write out the 10 point commentary and 5 seeing habits WORD FOR WORD, Including all punctuation. You had to have it written the exactly same way as it's printed on the paper.

You get two chances at the end of the week. You flunk it twice, you're gone. They give you practice tests, memorize and repeat it over and over and over. That's the MOST important part.

My school was only an hour away, so I drove to/from every day, got great gas mileage, so between pay for the week and gas, I made out good!

Saturday air is always my favorite thing to deliver. I ALWAYS answer when I get a call from the center on Saturday, and make sure to bring a nice, big cigar with me!

Pay attention in class. My class, the instructor booted two people, for screwing around and being stupid, showing up late, etc.

What kind of car do you have?

(Did you mean to say that you got paid per mile for driving from home rather than staying in a hotel?)

mikeny

Service Provider
update: i failed the driving test for sat. air driver. they said i could retake it in 6 months...2 months later they call me for cover driver. passed the driving test this time and go to driver school tomorrow (monday). i'm still studying i know the 5 seeing habits, still trying to know the 10 pt. commentary.

anyone know how the 5 habits/10 pt com. tests are...do you write it word-for-word or is it a multiple choice test? and what is the hazardous material test? they have it on day 1.

i'm not sure i'm going to have these memorized 100% by the class, but if i get DQ'd this time around, i'll have a year to get it 100% for next time :)

BrownChoice

You failed the training class drive test? When I went, a group of us did not have to take the final drive test. I am guessing the on-car SUPE who rode around with us thought we were safe enough? Stayed in the holiday inn and was paid top utility rate, $24.something/hr. I was quite a bit nervous on the Thursday night before test. Didn't know everything word for word. The H.R. Manager who trained us left the room while taking test. I had a wierd feeling they wanted/needed everyone to pass.....
youll get it next time, just be sure to call someone or have anyone help you and start with words then to phrases then do the whole thing. Eventually you'll know it. When class is over, the fun does not begin... Start studying until time to eat and go to bed. I studied for 4 hours EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, and was still nervous... Do not be late, they do not fool around on tardiness!:happy-very:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
update: i failed the driving test for sat. air driver. they said i could retake it in 6 months...2 months later they call me for cover driver. passed the driving test this time and go to driver school tomorrow (monday). i'm still studying i know the 5 seeing habits, still trying to know the 10 pt. commentary.

anyone know how the 5 habits/10 pt com. tests are...do you write it word-for-word or is it a multiple choice test? and what is the hazardous material test? they have it on day 1.

i'm not sure i'm going to have these memorized 100% by the class, but if i get DQ'd this time around, i'll have a year to get it 100% for next time :)
The 5 seeing habits and 10 pt only need to be verbalized and written down. Basically, they want to make a parrot out of the driver.

On the other hand, the "Smith System" ( you can google that for more info), which UPS uses, is great knowledge and can be practiced in your personal vehicle.

mikeny

Service Provider
my class was this week, i lasted 4 out of 5 days, so didn't get the job, but got the experience for next time and will be getting a nice paycheck. first day we took the written test for the 10 pt com. and 5 habits, no one got it 100% so we had until tuesday to retake it. started out with 5 people in the class by tuesday we were down to 3 of us. the part i had most difficulty with was repeating all that stuff while driving and the driver drills.