Bidding on jobs and changing shifts

Yeanop

Hi all. I've worked at UPS as a preloader for two months now and had a couple questions about bidding on new jobs and changing shifts.

How exactly does one go about "bidding" on a new job? Are there certain times of the year when one can do this? Is there a piece of paper or something I have to sign up for? I'm completely in the dark about all this.

Also, when it comes to changing shifts, how does one approach this as well? I heard I have to work for UPS for at least six months before I can even switch, then I have to stay on the new shift for at least six months.

Like I said I've only been here for two months and I don't expect, nor want, to change anything right now, but would like to know for future reference.

smokey711

In our building there is a large "bid board," where they post all open jobs as they become available, as well as ongoing sheets to change shifts when a spot opens up on the desired shift, and for double-shifting.

The 6-month thing is a requirement, but where I am, when mutually agreed to between the company and union, they don't make you wait that long.