Biden asks Congress to avert railroad strike.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

Mr. 10%, friend to unions.

"As a proud pro-labor president, I am reluctant to override the ratification procedures and the views of those who voted against the agreement," he said. "But in this case – where the economic impact of a shutdown would hurt millions of other working people and families – I believe Congress must use its powers to adopt this deal."

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
This will be an interesting show to watch. I'm not fond of any of the parties involved so it will be entertaining to see them all eat each other.

Nah
It would be interesting if a bunch of those railworkers just quit. I know it won't happen, but it would be fascinating to watch 1) Union members vote down a contract and to strike, 2) The president and/or congress force them to stay at work because the economy depends on it, and 3) They just decide to quit anyway. I wonder if congress would punish them for leaving a job that made them unhappy?

Of course, the situation could have been averted if Biden and his team listened to the unions' concerns when they got involved in the first place.

Nah
This is America, we don't quit when we're unhappy, we just show up and do a crappy job.
I've read numerous accounts of how bad the situation is on families right now. The workers I've seen or heard speak make it sound bad enough to just quit.

Working for a railroad was a long time dream of mine. If their accounts of what the companies are doing is true, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I would apply there. And of course, I am assuming they're telling the truth.

I'm just fantasizing of these workers turning around and giving congress and the president the middle finger, don't mind me. It's my favorite pastime.

Whither

Scofflaw
cost to nation $2B a day if strike happens.......like we need another excuse for higher prices.
They turned down a 25% raise.
1. Lay the blame for any injuries at the door of the freight railroad companies and their friends on Wall St.
2. The major issue on the rails isn't pay but quality of life, e.g., the ability to make plans for days off, the ability to go the doctor/dentist without attendance discipline, paid sick leave, as well as safety (at least 2 person crews, train length, infrastructure maintenance), and service -- which has even led the shippers to support rail workers. See: Railroads should give workers the benefits they seek

newfie

I've read numerous accounts of how bad the situation is on families right now. The workers I've seen or heard speak make it sound bad enough to just quit.
i worked ups for 39 years . I dont have any sympathy for the railroad workers and will never believe anyone works harder or has had it harder than career upsers.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
This whole issue is going to be fun to watch.

Now we'll finally get to see just how effective a leader old joe can be.
I hope his old conductor friend is around to comment.

Serf

1. Lay the blame for any injuries at the door of the freight railroad companies and their friends on Wall St.
2. The major issue on the rails isn't pay but quality of life, e.g., the ability to make plans for days off, the ability to go the doctor/dentist without attendance discipline, paid sick leave, as well as safety (at least 2 person crews, train length, infrastructure maintenance), and service -- which has even led the shippers to support rail workers. See: Railroads should give workers the benefits they seek
The hours at RR companies are some of the worst imaginable. Until you get lots of seniority. Plan on working nights, holidays, & weekends. And spending nights in Hotels. Running locomotives on a DOT like hour schedule. Getting rides to shuttle you back and fourth from hotel/motel to train. Awful.

100%

cost to nation $2B a day if strike happens.......like we need another excuse for higher prices.
They turned down a 25% raise.
Bc they want a life, not working 7 days a week and have to put in for a day off months in advance. You’re spittin some BS. It isn’t always about the money.

Whither

Scofflaw
i worked ups for 39 years . I dont have any sympathy for the railroad workers and will never believe anyone works harder or has had it harder than career upsers.
LOL - it's not about comparing whether UPSers or railroaders have it worse. I'm sure you've heard, and probably even used, the term "oppression olympics"?

If you have no sympathy for fellow workers who are being screwed by highly profitable companies, then you're lost, brother.

newfie

LOL - it's not about comparing whether UPSers or railroaders have it worse. I'm sure you've heard, and probably even used, the term "oppression olympics"?

i don't believe the screwing nonsense. i think you're a union trying to sell the best improvements you can get. more power to you hope you get the best contract you can get. but you live better than 99 percent of the world and yes that does matter . you do compare similar jobs and figure out where you're at in overall pay and working conditions.
you're the railroad . country needs you to run and if you walk they will send you back.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Mr. 10%, friend to unions.

"As a proud pro-labor president, I am reluctant to override the ratification procedures and the views of those who voted against the agreement," he said. "But in this case – where the economic impact of a shutdown would hurt millions of other working people and families – I believe Congress must use its powers to adopt this deal."
Convenient "friend" to unions. Remember, his first act as President was to kill union worker pipeline jobs. Biden's corporate cronies need help. When will union leadership wake up?