BIG Changes in March?

MassWineGuy

Yesterday management held a meeting with the a.m. crew. I work p.m., wasn’t there and have very little information. But the little I did hear is unsettling.

Apparently, the plan is that in March Express will organize all full time drivers into two shifts. One from noon to about 8 pm; the second from 4 a.m. to noon.

No part timers in the plan.

Has anyone else been told directly by managers about any of this?

My manager, whom I like and trust, didn’t know about it but didn’t believe part time would be scrapped. Nor that things would change by March because it will keep being pushed back.

Still, wow.

AB831

I wonder what criteria will be used to determine who has to wake up at 230 AM and who can't ever go watch their kids' baseball games or piano recitals. My guess: no plan whatsoever, and it will be up to local management to decide based on personal favorites. "It is what it is", right?

McFeely

Huge Member
I wish I knew real solid information, but I only know what info has filtered down to my management and what they tell me.

That being said, we still don't know squat about which zip codes will be running double sorts (P1 sort and a P2 sort) and which routes will stay out all day delivering. With the new plan it sounds like there are a lot of routes in my station that will be shuttling inbound freight to couriers and also a lot of outbound having to be shuttled to the station so that couriers can stay out delivering until 20:00. We have a ton of P1 business park/industrial areas so it sounds like we'll still have a few PT couriers to run those areas.

Again, this is all I've been told directly from my management and they still don't know how much will change before it gets rolled out.

AB831

I wish I knew real solid information, but I only know what info has filtered down to my management and what they tell me.

That being said, we still don't know squat about which zip codes will be running double sorts (P1 sort and a P2 sort) and which routes will stay out all day delivering. With the new plan it sounds like there are a lot of routes in my station that will be shuttling inbound freight to couriers and also a lot of outbound having to be shuttled to the station so that couriers can stay out delivering until 20:00. We have a ton of P1 business park/industrial areas so it sounds like we'll still have a few PT couriers to run those areas.

Again, this is all I've been told directly from my management and they still don't know how much will change before it gets rolled out.
You can rest assured that no plan is in place, and all decisions made will be half-assed, impetuous, and left to local management and drivers to figure out amongst themselves.

McFeely

Huge Member
You can rest assured that no plan is in place, and all decisions made will be half-assed, impetuous, and left to local management and drivers to figure out amongst themselves.

That's the sad and frustrating part. My Ops managers and our Senior all think this is a horrible effort and likely to push morale even lower, and there's nothing they can do about it. They've all had calls/emails with our MD and it's still going forward as of now.

AB831

That's the sad and frustrating part. My Ops managers and our Senior all think this is a horrible effort and likely to push morale even lower, and there's nothing they can do about it. They've all had calls/emails with our MD and it's still going forward as of now.
Unfortunately, those efforts to protect their workers will be futile. Once Fat Freddy and his henchman have made a decision, they'll see it through to the bitter end.

MassWineGuy

At 4 am,what businesses are open to accept anything?

Guess I could get a pt route with UPS and try to bear it for three years til I turn 70 and can get the higher Social Security payments.

AB831

Guess I could get a pt route with UPS and try to bear it for three years til I turn 70 and can get the higher Social Security payments.
I don't know your financial situation, but I think you should put your two weeks in about 3 months from now and have a Merry Christmas while FedEx implodes.

McFeely

Huge Member

In this area? Pretty much nothing. Our days out here are pretty limited time-wise because of what time we get our trucks in the morning and when we have to have freight back to the station to make the outbound trucks.

Buhryein

Well sign me up for the 4am shift I'd love that tbh.

The plan will be pushed and changed a few times as they see its not gonna work already has been.

We were told two things for certain

#1 it will be happening at some point

#2 that level of shift change will require a station rebid so it'll be all about seniority as far as who gets stuck in what shifts.

Gone fishin

Our senior said changes will be made at some stations and some not. Our station isn’t big enough for most changes so nothing really happens to us. Which is good

McFeely

Huge Member
About 90 or so.

Your station is about 2x bigger than mine and about half of my station is supposed to be affected by the upcoming changes. So I wouldn’t base it solely off of station size. I think more of the double sort freight will be based off of what the P1 commit times are for the zip codes your station covers (10:30 routes here are being restructured, but not the 12:00 or 16:30 areas).