Big hub or small hub? Pros and Cons

Pinchofskoal

Hey all,

Browsed the sub for a while and always helpful advice. I just recently passed integrad and all that for an off the street 22.4 position.
My question is, the majority of my class is working at the larger hub in the city which I was supposed to as well, however I was advised that there was an opening in a small hub outside the city (not some tiny town but more in the suburbs) that I would be assigned to.
Should I be dissapointed I’m going to the smaller hub? Pros and cons? Or am I worrying for no reason. I know I can never transfer so hoping I don’t end up somewhere crappy forever.
Thanks in advance.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Hey all,

Browsed the sub for a while and always helpful advice. I just recently passed integrad and all that for an off the street 22.4 position.
My question is, the majority of my class is working at the larger hub in the city which I was supposed to as well, however I was advised that there was an opening in a small hub outside the city (not some tiny town but more in the suburbs) that I would be assigned to.
Should I be dissapointed I’m going to the smaller hub? Pros and cons? Or am I worrying for no reason. I know I can never transfer so hoping I don’t end up somewhere crappy forever.
Thanks in advance.
Hub? Or center. Usually a large building is called a hub, like the MEADOWLANDS facility in Secaucus New Jersey. Or 43rd St NYC. Then there's smaller buildings like the one in downtown NYC, Manhattan South. That one we just call a building. And a building can have anywhere from 2 to 5 or more "Centers" within it.

The Manhattan South building has 3 independent "centers": Village, World Trade, and Knickerbocker/Hudson. Each has it's own PCM, sort belts, and the bays are in some ways isolated from each other.

Pinchofskoal

Hub? Or center. Usually a large building is called a hub, like the MEADOWLANDS facility in Secaucus New Jersey. Or 43rd St NYC. Then there's smaller buildings like the one in downtown NYC, Manhattan South. That one we just call a building. And a building can have anywhere from 2 to 5 or more "Centers" within it.

The Manhattan South building has 3 independent "centers": Village, World Trade, and Knickerbocker/Hudson. Each has it's own PCM, sort belts, and the bays are in some ways isolated from each other.
Yea that’s my mistake, it’s a center actually. Still getting all the lingo down. 1 week off virtual integrad hasn’t taught me everything yet lol

MisplacedRailWorker

Spoiler alert I'm gonna give it anyway :naive:

That one week taught you everything you need to keep the job. Your depth of knowledge, five and tens, the methods most important while driving. Don't worry about scratching or running or gunning; I qualified without scratching the route once. Besides even if you do it's a free period right now (most regions) so days don't even count toward making book/seniority. You will most likely start that packet after peak in Jan

You will come to find that each center in the country has its cons and cons. They all suck equally in my opinion. Just drive safely and slowly, because that is the one guarantee that you will not have a center to hate working at if you let that package car touch ANYTHING. You'll be right back on the street that day.

Space on all four sides but always in front.

Pinchofskoal

That one week taught you everything you need to keep the job. Your depth of knowledge, five and tens, the methods most important while driving. Don't worry about scratching or running or gunning; I qualified without scratching the route once. Besides even if you do it's a free period right now (most regions) so days don't even count toward making book/seniority. You will most likely start that packet after peak in Jan

You will come to find that each center in the country has its cons and cons. They all suck equally in my opinion. Just drive safely and slowly, because that is the one guarantee that you will not have a center to hate working at if you let that package car touch ANYTHING. You'll be right back on the street that day.

Haha sounds good, I appreciate the advice. Obviously happy to have the job wherever just want a fair shot at qualifying tbh which I’m sure I’ll get.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That one week taught you everything you need to keep the job. Your depth of knowledge, five and tens, the methods most important while driving. Don't worry about scratching or running or gunning; I qualified without scratching the route once. Besides even if you do it's a free period right now (most regions) so days don't even count toward making book/seniority. You will most likely start that packet after peak in Jan.

My goodness soooo much wrong info in one post.

This entire paragraph is basically bad advice op

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Do you even work for UPS?

maybe you should go tell folks how to run a train

MisplacedRailWorker

Attached are the 340 methods. Saving that pdf (it's searchable) to your phone is helpful if you ever feel like there's something specific you aren't sure of how to do, but ask questions and be the guy calling supervisor every 30 seconds if you have to. UPS has a million rules and regs that can technically get you fired if not followed to the T, so bug them a million more.

And those methods may be a bit primitive (2005) but the document outlines the job and procedures exactly as engineered by UPS. So it's a good point of reference for the little things like "how do I sheet a pickup Not Ready 3" or "what does my pre-trip need to look like in front of the OJS so he can't :censored2: me on his little clipboard"

Also print the DOK. And get used to driving the same way to and from work also. Gets you in the habit and saves you money on traffic tickets!

Attachments

• 340_delivery_methods.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 138
  • upsdok-181112213754.pdf
    153.3 KB · Views: 110

MisplacedRailWorker

My goodness soooo much wrong info in one post.

This entire paragraph is basically bad advice op
1. Can you qualify if you have an accident on the road?
2. Are the "numbers" non-fiction?
3. What region are you in where you have drivers starting after today that might make book/qualify before Christmas?

MisplacedRailWorker

in over 30 years never heard a boss say drive and slowly in the same sentence
When in my life did I suggest that I was a boss or management?
And on what planet does any package car driver worth their salt believe running and gunning works well? Yes you need to deliver and walk at a brisk pace and make your commit times, but the running/gunning should only occur when you arrive at the stop. And secure the vehicle so we don't have another rollaway sitch here

Only after the handbrake goes down, does the hammer follow. Get the boots tapping and stops off.

MisplacedRailWorker

Got caught doing what?
...got caught speeding, running, parking on wrong side of the road
I had a stop on a slight slope, as far as I know, I did my normal park and hand brake routine. I turn around after delivering, this #$%*%^$# truck is rolling back towards the right, into a yard crushing a mailbox...
...I was Dqed for being unsafe. 2 bad observations and only knew 80% of DOK when tested randomly on day 26. I know its irrelevant but...
...they need the help, but say I'm too unsafe to drive...

Overpaid Union Thug

Hey all,

Thanks in advance.
If your local bids full time jobs in all buildings in the local’s jurisdiction then I’d say go to the smaller building. That way you can move later if need be. If each building’s full time jobs are only bid in house then I’d say go to the hub. There is more opportunity there.

In the past the quickest path to full-time were the smaller buildings but you’d be stuck in package. Now both are about the same but the hubs are where most of the feeder jobs and 22.3s are. It’s better to be where you’ll have the opportunity to bid out of package later. Your body may not hold up long enough to retire.

MisplacedRailWorker

The entire paragraph

Intergrad doesn’t teach you crap about the job.

The op is gonna need to run his ass off to qualify.

It’s not a free period
It does teach him the methods, which work as far as mitigating the possibility of accidents.
In 804 it will be a free period before anyone who started driving today gets their 30 in. I was told this would be the case for me even if I started a month ago. As a rehire.