Bilateral Hernia Repair Options

Which repair is superior, based on your experience?

• Robot

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Open

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

YourCO

I have to get two inguinal hernias repaired and my doctor is giving me the choice between robotic mesh and open mesh repairs. Concerned about what's best regarding recurrence and long-term pain considering how much lifting we do here. The doctor does about 90 opens/yr vs 40 robots/yr, and the robot is very new, but he says he's comfortable with either.
For those of you who've been in this situation (which I have to believe is quite a lot), what do you think?

over9five

Staff member
Yikes, gotta get both sides fixed at once. That has to suck.
I was talking to my surgeon about my prior surgeries, and mentioned my hernia 25 years ago. He said we do it a lot differently now.
I'm thinking the robotic uses a much smaller opening, resulting in a quicker heal and less chance of infection. Is that what he said?
I'd go for the robotic, I think.
Let me know, a friend needs to have it done soon.

YourCO

Yikes, gotta get both sides fixed at once. That has to suck.
I was talking to my surgeon about my prior surgeries, and mentioned my hernia 25 years ago. He said we do it a lot differently now.
I'm thinking the robotic uses a much smaller opening, resulting in a quicker heal and less chance of infection. Is that what he said?
I'd go for the robotic, I think.
Let me know, a friend needs to have it done soon.
My surgeon said both are about the same, except with robotic my recovery time overall may be like 3 days less. Dr. Google, however, is psyching me out and confusing me all to hell, but I'll update once I get anything figured out.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I have to get two inguinal hernias repaired and my doctor is giving me the choice between robotic mesh and open mesh repairs. Concerned about what's best regarding recurrence and long-term pain considering how much lifting we do here. The doctor does about 90 opens/yr vs 40 robots/yr, and the robot is very new, but he says he's comfortable with either.
For those of you who've been in this situation (which I have to believe is quite a lot), what do you think?
I had two inguinal hernias about 6 years ago...the laparoscopic is quicker recovery. The surgeon did mine both “ open” because of how young I was..prepare for scar tissue and weird pains for many years to come..
🧔✊

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
My surgeon said both are about the same, except with robotic my recovery time overall may be like 3 days less. Dr. Google, however, is psyching me out and confusing me all to hell, but I'll update once I get anything figured out.
DO NOT GOOGLE ANYTHING
🧔✊

YourCO

I had two inguinal hernias about 6 years ago...the laparoscopic is quicker recovery. The surgeon did mine both “ open” because of how young I was..prepare for scar tissue and weird pains for many years to come..
🧔✊
Damn, that's no good man. I'm young too and that's precisely the kind of crap I'm worried about. My surgeon's relative "inexperience" with the robot freaks me out. But he is also the best surgeon in my area, so I don't know if I'm worrying for nothing.

How'd you get the doc to write you off for 8 weeks? He said I'd be back to normal in about 2 or 3, but I don't think he gets how much physical labor is involved with this job.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Damn, that's no good man. I'm young too and that's precisely the kind of crap I'm worried about. My surgeon's relative "inexperience" with the robot freaks me out. But he is also the best surgeon in my area, so I don't know if I'm worrying for nothing.

How'd you get the doc to write you off for 8 weeks? He said I'd be back to normal in about 2 or 3, but I don't think he gets how much physical labor is involved with this job.
My doctor said 2 or 3 at first too then I told him the weight limit at work is 150lbs and I work at UPS. He quickly started scribbling out the original return to work date and gave me 8 weeks. You can private message me I can give you more info , it’s nothing to worry about.
✊🧔

brownman2075

The Desarda Method of repair is open surgery and requires no mesh. I had it done a couple of years ago and it’s healthier than mesh. No artificial implants. No worries about mesh lawsuits. Just as strong and last a life time without complications. The only doctor in the US that is trained directly by its inventor is Dr. Robert Tomas in Fort Meyers, FL.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I've had one Inguinal hernia repaired on my left side and three Inguinal Hernia repairs on my right side over the years. I'm running out of places to sew up on my right side, doctors don't like fixing the same spot. UPS is going to keep you out six to eight weeks no matter what type of surgery you have if it's in the groin area. You won't be able to drive for a month either because stepping hard on the brake pedal can tear the repaired area up. My little brother had one repaired on his naval last week, he was okay to drive as soon as the anesthesia wore off. So it depends on exactly where the hernia is located and the company nurse is not going to let you come back to work as soon as you would like.