Body and Paint Shop Layoffs

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
So do the Official body guys do good work? Here all of our paint jobs went to a low regular bid body shop with the instructions to only do a minor sanding---spray on the paint---and slap on new decals. Some of the paint job were HORRIBLE with a CAPITOL H.

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
Yes good quality work. They did superb work back in the day but management is pushing them for quantity more than quality. It is still good work though. The body panels they fab and piece in have to save the company serious money.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Our paint and body guy needs some training.View attachment 268428

Lol that’s what they would look like it I did the paint.

The body guys have 20. 26, 27, 39 and 31 years. Our porters are IAM with most having 15 to 20 years, part time seniority before they have an opportunity to go full time. The lowest porter has 19 total years and there are 5 or 6 with low enough seniority to get bumped by the body guys. There are 16 guaranteed full-time porter jobs in our local.
They call them "The Sweet Sixteen"
One made over $120,000 last year.

IAM porters? Wow... here IAM is only for the auto mechanics, PE mechanics.. tailer mechanics, utility mechanics ( put parts away, do porter type stuff)

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'll have to take a pic of the one part of my truck on Monday. I have an old 14#-series 2008 Freightliner 10-cube with the wide-body. It's a really good truck, but it shows its age in the paint department. There is one part where in order to cover up a blemish, the mechanic (we don't have a paint and body shop) pretty much toook a standard 5" paint brush and globbed on some Pullman Brown.

On the same topic, I saw my first truck from my first route sitting on the fence yesterday. Its a 1996 Freightliner 7-cube, probably the lowest mileage and best in condition out of all of that series' trucks in our building (myself and the previous route driver took meticulous care of this truck, you could literally eat your lunch off the dash). It got a fresh paint job the year after I upgraded to an 8 cube (2015)...

Its been ADA'd.

I wish I understood how management at this company thinks.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
On the same topic, I saw my first truck from my first route sitting on the fence yesterday. Its a 1996 Freightliner 7-cube, probably the lowest mileage and best in condition out of all of that series' trucks in our building (myself and the previous route driver took meticulous care of this truck, you could literally eat your lunch off the dash). It got a fresh paint job the year after I upgraded to an 8 cube (2015)...

Its been ADA'd.

Same here, they are junking all our P-700 the first time any repair over a certain price happens. A lot of them are good vehicles too, I have been fighting to save the one I have. We get nothing smaller than a P-800 in new vehicles where I am, even though I see new P-500s on the road from the other nearby Atlanta Hubs.

My Hub has a five-bay shop and I don't know if we still have a trailer mechanic. the Atlanta Hubs to the best of my knowledge always contracted out any paint and body work in the past. I don't think they even repaint ours now, they gave up on body work a long time ago. We have holes in the hoods, cracked fenders, and missing bumper parts, our fleet looks like crap compared to the other Atlanta Hubs. They used to pay body shops $500 to paint a package car for decades, the paintjobs looked like too.

specter208

I'll have to take a pic of the one part of my truck on Monday. I have an old 14#-series 2008 Freightliner 10-cube with the wide-body. It's a really good truck, but it shows its age in the paint department. There is one part where in order to cover up a blemish, the mechanic (we don't have a paint and body shop) pretty much toook a standard 5" paint brush and globbed on some Pullman Brown.

Its been ADA'd.

R u in California.

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
Lol that’s what they would look like it I did the paint.

IAM porters? Wow... here IAM is only for the auto mechanics, PE mechanics.. tailer mechanics, utility mechanics ( put parts away, do porter type stuff)
In our local they hire all the maintenance and mechanics off the street full time starting out. The GASSER/WASHER/PORTER position people are hired in part-time. It takes 15 to 20 years to get a full time porter job. There is also a provision in the contract that prevents an employee from bidding or bumping to a lower classification. This prevents an older journeyman from getting a porters job. The maintenance men and tractor/package car mechanics make $2.01 more an hour than a porter. The real kick In the shorts is a trailer mechanic makes around $4 an hour less than a porter. This comes out to around a $250,000 difference in pay over the course of a carreer. On top of that the trailer mechanics have to provide there own tools. The company supplies all the porters mops brooms dustpans etc. Recently they were complaining about the tool allowance. They said they wanted a broom allowance !

specter208

Its been ADA'd.

R u in California.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
CARB is refusing to renew registration on all commercial diesels above 14,000lbs GVWR with 2009 or older engines without DPF. UPS is scrapping or transferring good trucks to comply with this nonsense law.

The same thing happened about 5 years ago.

UPS was not meeting their emissions standards in Cali, so they scrambled to commandeer every 271 clean idle International that they could find throughout the rest of the country.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
In our local they hire all the maintenance and mechanics off the street full time starting out. The GASSER/WASHER/PORTER position people are hired in part-time. It takes 15 to 20 years to get a full time porter job. There is also a provision in the contract that prevents an employee from bidding or bumping to a lower classification. This prevents an older journeyman from getting a porters job. The maintenance men and tractor/package car mechanics make $2.01 more an hour than a porter. The real kick In the shorts is a trailer mechanic makes around $4 an hour less than a porter. This comes out to around a $250,000 difference in pay over the course of a carreer. On top of that the trailer mechanics have to provide there own tools. The company supplies all the porters mops brooms dustpans etc. Recently they were complaining about the tool allowance. They said they wanted a broom allowance !

We are all off the street here. No mechanic is going to take a part time position these days. However we don’t have porters in our local, those guys are all teamster here

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
CARB is refusing to renew registration on all commercial diesels above 14,000lbs GVWR with 2009 or older engines without DPF. UPS is scrapping or transferring good trucks to comply with this nonsense law.
Here we go again. Last batch we got from Cali were total clapped out piles.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Here we go again. Last batch we got from Cali were total clapped out piles.

The one we got from Cali to replace the 271 that they stole from us was a 269 and broke down twice on the trip to Ohio and then spent 2 weeks in the shop and over $6K to get it back on the road.

I posted this before, but thought it was hilarious.

They flew a guy from Cali to Ohio.
He drove the 271 tractor to Cali.
He drove the 269 replacement to Ohio.
They flew him back to Cali.

Why not just drive the 269 to Ohio and then drive the 271 back to Cali?

They wasted 2 plane tickets for nothing, typical UPS.

specter208

The one we got from Cali to replace the 271 that they stole from us was a 269 and broke down twice on the trip to Ohio and then spent 2 weeks in the shop and over $6K to get it back on the road.

271s are 9100s or Prostars?

ManInBrown

Any areas of the country hearing any rumors about layoffs in early December for body and paint guys. They did this years ago during peak on a temporary basis but our contract language has changed. If this happens the layed off personell can go anywhere there seniority will take them. They will likely be permanently displacing full time porters as they are the easiest and most coveted jobs here. $36 an hour and biggest concern is running out of toilet paper. They also are easy to qualify for. We are an IAM local not Teamster .Let me know if you are hearing anything in other areas of the country.
Displacing porters. Lol. Good luck with that. Porter is the most coveted job. Every porter I know is 35+ years seniority.

Poop Head

Judge me.

Lmfao!!!