Bonus Babies Are A Trip

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have worked in both types of centers and I learned more about how to be a quality service oriented driver in the non bonus center. As far as I am concerned cutting bonus and tightening time allowances is a way to cut payroll without going through the union. Just another way to pit us against one another and to put the screws to us.

Packmule

Some drivers in our center are getting a little to goofy about bonus. Its gotten to the point where some believe that its the dispatcher's job to make sure they get certain stops so they can have extra miles for their route to plan better and get more bonus.

If they loose certain air stops or areas on any given day they act like children getting their allowances reduced. Now some are being nosy and looking at other drivers' op reports to make sure they aren't getting less/more of something such as miles, NDAs, or anything else that helps a route plan. Some act like its a conspiracy against them when another driver gets more bonus than them.

Man, this bonus center is a trip! LOL! Does this happen in others?

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'm in one too. Like it as long as the drivers keep their perspective. Had a lot of the stuff you described happen here too. Now our management has each drivers' report separated and hand them out as requested by those drivers. No one gets to look at others numbers now. Seems to help.

OPTION3

question…..whats to stop the company from saying(under the next contract) we are doing away with bonus…but we are gonna hold you to the numbers you ran while trying to make bonus? Had a good friend in a union job where the company did exactly that. People went from producing 100 “widgets”(easily) on a normal 8 hour day, To having to produce 150 “widgets”(very hard) and getting disciplined for not doing it. BONUS sounds just like that… a BONE-US

oldngray

nowhere special
question…..whats to stop the company from saying(under the next contract) we are doing away with bonus…but we are gonna hold you to the numbers you ran while trying to make bonus? Had a good friend in a union job where the company did exactly that. People went from producing 100 “widgets”(easily) on a normal 8 hour day, To having to produce 150 “widgets”(very hard) and getting disciplined for not doing it. BONUS sounds just like that… a BONE-US

That happens. When people start skipping lunch and breaks to get bonus UPS will expect those numbers all the time. I was in both bonus and non bonus centers and when bonus started the time allowances immediately got messed with. And a bonus center creates an environment of drivers being selfish and only caring about themselves instead of working together as a group, which weakens the union.

OPTION3

That happens. When people start skipping lunch and breaks to get bonus UPS will expect those numbers all the time. I was in both bonus and non bonus centers and when bonus started the time allowances immediately got messed with. And a bonus center creates an environment of drivers being selfish and only caring about themselves instead of working together as a group, which weakens the union.
Has there been a case where bonus has been removed?

OPTION3

I had a NEW center manager come in one day…call me in the office, hand me a 3x5 card with MIN, MAX, number of air stops and miles on it….center manager said this is whats expected of you each day…. I still use that 3x5 card regularly (5years later) to prove I’m doing whats expected of me--even though they have changed the numbers---center manager made a HUGE mistake

Packmule

Other than the 10 minutes paid part, break now has no bearing on bonus. Used to, but that changed years ago.

oldngray

nowhere special
Other than the 10 minutes paid part, break now has no bearing on bonus. Used to, but that changed years ago.

I meant how the numbers look falsely better when people skip breaks, then when they start to take breaks (as they always should have) UPS uses the tainted numbers - you did X stops in Y hours before? Why can't you do it now?

Packmule

I just get a bit testy when people think I should waste a full hour of my time and daylight babysitting a truck instead of getting done in the daylight (safer) and going home to my family. I have always taken as much break as I really need, about half an hour, and think I should have the right to take up to an hour by my choice. Just don't think it is that hard to explain the extra time when it is properly recorded in diad.

L

Lizzzow

I just go out and work safe and slow. I enjoy seeing my customers. I couldn't care less about over under numbers. Don't look at those reports and never will. I show up to work 5 minutes beforehand, say hi to my great coworkers and leave the building stress free. I just go out and do my job. Take my break when I see fit. I am not a bonus center but I would think that's stress that I don't need/want. If u play by their numbers they will expect u to always play by their numbers.

Overpaid Union Thug

I disagree with this part of your statement..
I whole heartedly agree with it. That is the whole point of this thread.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I just go out and work safe and slow. I enjoy seeing my customers. I couldn't care less about over under numbers. Don't look at those reports and never will. I show up to work 5 minutes beforehand, say hi to my great coworkers and leave the building stress free. I just go out and do my job. Take my break when I see fit. I am not a bonus center but I would think that's stress that I don't need/want. If u play by their numbers they will expect u to always play by their numbers.
You are being paid above the industry average to do more then work slow.