Bonus In, Bonus Out,...Bonus In Again???

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Last Fall a long time Central Region bonus center had the clarity and wisdom to grieve out bonus in my building.
Now, for some reason (our bumbling BA), the drivers in this center think that they can "ungrieve" bonus back in???
Several hedge hoppers have solicited 40 grievances asking for bonus to be reinstated and they have been submitted and are being entertained by the Local, who may have actually provided these hedge hoppers with the pre-printed grievance forms.

I have read, and reread Article 19 sec 10 of the Central Region Supplement and just don't see how this is possible?
What I see when I read Article 19 sec 10, is that the powers that be understood that bonus is the scourge of all UPS contracts.
Bonus promotes unsafe and dishonest behavior and is by far the most hypocritical program imaginable for a company who claims to put "safety first".
These bonus/incentive programs also allows the company to "arbitrarily negotiate" different rates of pay for individual drivers on individual routes, while failing to take into consideration age, gender and physical condition.
For a union who claims that they don't recognize production standards, how can they endorse any company plan whose standards aren't negotiated?

The way that Article 19 sec 10 is written, it is clear to me that it provides for a way out of bonus plans, as well providing an avenue for any savvy local to make sure no new bonus/incentive plans are ever implemented or "reimplemented" in any center in the future.

I'm so tired of short sighted politics being put ahead of what is obviously the right thing to do, or not to do.
What am I missing?

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
ARTICLE 19-MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
Section 10:

There will be no newly implemented incentive plans or bonus plans
unless approved by the affected employees and the Union. Current
plans will remain in effect unless grieved by the majority of the
employees involved and approved by the Joint Area Committee:

(1) Individual grievances must be completed by each employee
requesting the plan to be terminated and the grievances must be submitted
to the local union within three (3) weeks of their being written.

(2) Once a grievance on this subject has been submitted to the local
union, management is not to attempt to resolve the grievance with
the grievant without a representative of the Union present.

(3) If a majority of the package car drivers in a center write grievances
within a three (3) week period, the local union shall advise the
Employer within one (1) week and submit the issue to the JAC for
approval.

(4) The local union shall have the right to attend any meetings on
this subject conducted by the Employer from the time the grievances
are submitted to the JAC until they are heard.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Last Fall a long time Central Region bonus center had the clarity and wisdom to grieve out bonus in my building.
Now, for some reason (our bumbling BA), the drivers in this center think that they can "ungrieve" bonus back in???
Several hedge hoppers have solicited 40 grievances asking for bonus to be reinstated and they have been submitted and are being entertained by the Local, who may have actually provided these hedge hoppers with the pre-printed grievance forms.

I have read, and reread Article 19 sec 10 of the Central Region Supplement and just don't see how this is possible?
What I see when I read Article 19 sec 10, is that the powers that be understood that bonus is the scourge of all UPS contracts.
Bonus promotes unsafe and dishonest behavior and is by far the most hypocritical program imaginable for a company who claims to put "safety first".
These bonus/incentive programs also allows the company to "arbitrarily negotiate" different rates of pay for individual drivers on individual routes, while failing to take into consideration age, gender and physical condition.
For a union who claims that they don't recognize production standards, how can they endorse any company plan whose standards aren't negotiated?

The way that Article 19 sec 10 is written, it is clear to me that it provides for a way out of bonus plans, as well providing an avenue for any savvy local to make sure no new bonus/incentive plans are ever implemented or "reimplemented" in any center in the future in their local.

I'm so tired of short sighted politics being put ahead of what is obviously the right thing to do, or not to do.
What am I missing?
Throw a grievance at it and
see what sticks

Dragon

Package Center Manager

The way that Article 19 sec 10 is written, it is clear to me that it provides for a way out of bonus plans, as well providing an avenue for any savvy local to make sure no new bonus/incentive plans are ever implemented or "reimplemented" in any center in the future.

What am I missing?

So a couple of the local knuckleheads screwed with somebody else's money and thought it was "obviously the right thing to do" and now those people are pissed and want the bonus voted back in. Gee I don't know what could be wrong.

You are lucky somebody hasn't taken it on some one.

We have several bonus centers here and they are some of the safest centers around.

So a couple of the local knuckleheads screwed with somebody else's money and thought it was "obviously the right thing to do" and now those people are :censored2: and want the bonus voted back in. Gee I don't know what could be wrong.

We have several bonus centers here and they are some of the safest centers around.
Bull.
Just the most unreported accidents.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
So a couple of the local knuckleheads screwed with somebody else's money and thought it was "obviously the right thing to do" and now those people are :censored2: and want the bonus voted back in. Gee I don't know what could be wrong.

Bonus centers are job rapers.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

What am I missing?

They voted bonus out. It's a done deal.

There is no sort of "look back" provision.

Even a grievance (at this point).... is untimely.

-Bug-

Overpaid Union Thug

Bonus isn't recognized in our local or supplement because it's considered a production issue. But.....our BA controls how it is voted in/out. Personally I wish it would be banned per the national agreement. It is a cancer for every center that has it's time allowances and turns grown men into selfish, jealous, spoiled little babies that hover over each other's operational reports like vultures. And/or the type of people that take selfies with David Abney.

If you are in a bonus center and have drivers complaining that "they stole my miles" then your center is long overdue to vote that garbage out.

Last edited: