Bonuses at local 705

WorkingAsDirected

Currently at Cach, new hires get a $120 weekly bonus which started sometime last year. Are they allowed to do this? The Teamsters Central Region and UNITED PARCEL SERVICE Supplemental Agreement to the NATIONAL MASTER UNITED PARCEL SERVICE AGREEMENT states the following:

ARTICLE 19-MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS

Section 10
There will be no newly implemented incentive plans or bonus plans unless approved by the affected employees and the Union. Current plans will remain in effect unless grieved by the majority of the employees involved and approved by the Joint Area Committee:
(1) Individual grievances must be completed by each employee requesting the plan to be terminated and the grievances must be submitted to the local union within three (3) weeks of their being written.
(2) Once a grievance on this subject has been submitted to the local union, management is not to attempt to resolve the grievance with the grievant without a representative of the Union present.
(3) If a majority of the package car drivers in a center write grievances within a three (3) week period, the local union shall advise the Employer within one (1) week and submit the issue to the JAC for approval.
(4) The local union shall have the right to attend any meetings on this subject conducted by the Employer from the time the grievances are submitted to the JAC until they are heard.

So looking at the first paragraph, it looks like the weekly bonus is prohibited unless agreed by the Union. Am I missing something here?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Currently at Cach, new hires get a $120 weekly bonus which started sometime last year. Are they allowed to do this? The Teamsters Central Region and UNITED PARCEL SERVICE Supplemental Agreement to the NATIONAL MASTER UNITED PARCEL SERVICE AGREEMENT states the following:

Section 10
There will be no newly implemented incentive plans or bonus plans unless approved by the affected employees and the Union. Current plans will remain in effect unless grieved by the majority of the employees involved and approved by the Joint Area Committee:
(1) Individual grievances must be completed by each employee requesting the plan to be terminated and the grievances must be submitted to the local union within three (3) weeks of their being written.
(2) Once a grievance on this subject has been submitted to the local union, management is not to attempt to resolve the grievance with the grievant without a representative of the Union present.
(3) If a majority of the package car drivers in a center write grievances within a three (3) week period, the local union shall advise the Employer within one (1) week and submit the issue to the JAC for approval.
(4) The local union shall have the right to attend any meetings on this subject conducted by the Employer from the time the grievances are submitted to the JAC until they are heard.

So looking at the first paragraph, it looks like the weekly bonus is prohibited unless agreed by the Union. Am I missing something here?

No, I think you’ve got it

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Section 10

I'm reasonably sure that the "bonus plans" mentioned in that article refers specifically to production bonus, but grieve it and find out.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Wouldn't a production bonus considered to be a incentive plan? The new hires seem to be under a bonus plan.
I'm pretty sure that both incentive plan and bonus plan in that article are in reference to production bonus and wouldn't prohibit UPS paying new hires an employment bonus, but like I said grieve it and find out for sure.

Yolo

This will be sorted out in the new contract. UPS and the Union both now realize they can't effectively staff the preload at minimum wage. It really sucks for the people who started a little before they added the bonus.

DOK

Section 10

How do you know that the union hasn’t agreed to this weekly bonus?

PT Crazy

New hires start at $15/hour. Anyone making less was bumped up to $15/hour. An agreement between the local and UPS. It will be in place until July 31, 2018.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Unfortunately.... yes.

The language you posted, is Central Region language. Both Chicago Locals 705 and 710 have

stand alone contacts and aren't part of the Central Region or even the National Master.

This language also is package car language, in reference to "bonus" centers.

I applaud your efforts, but you need to get a hard copy of the proper contract and start

your search there. To this day, I haven't seen a copy available online.

-Bug-

WorkingAsDirected

Unfortunately.... yes.

The language you posted, is Central Region language. Both Chicago Locals 705 and 710 have

stand alone contacts and aren't part of the Central Region or even the National Master.

This language also is package car language, in reference to "bonus" centers.

I applaud your efforts, but you need to get a hard copy of the proper contract and start

your search there. To this day, I haven't seen a copy available online.

-Bug-

20180517_065341.jpg
20180517_065627.jpg