Book off voicemail full, does that count as a no-show?

Boarpin

Been here for a few months and have been told not calling out before hand is a huge no-no, but the number we have for bookoff's voicemail is full so I can't leave a message. I have no other number to call but I did text a coworker to let our supervisor know.
Am I screwed? I've never not just shown up before but I do have at least 2-3 absences due to severe pneumonia a few months ago. There is no conceivable way I'm going to survive tonight without consistently vomiting and/or getting stuck in the bathroom stall for ages. Just the car ride there will not be pretty,as I had to pull over just going to CVS for something for this bug, otherwise I'd be more than happy to show I'm not well(which was also pretty apparent last night).

Last edited:

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You can call up to an hour after start time and still be recorded as called in. Just call back later

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I would tell a steward and my business agent if they were playing games with the call-in procedure.
They made the rule about calling an hour before, they have to make sure the phone is manned.

TheFigurehead

If voicemail is full why didn't you just make a normal phone call and talk to a human being?

Because, as he said above, he has no other number to call. UPS likes to play this game with new employees. It's not like you can use google to get the number for the hub, and UPS purposely doesn't give new employees any numbers other than the one they gave OP (if that). They love to play stupid games like this.

Over 70

I called in 30 minutes after start time a few weeks ago because i slept through my alarm and never heard a word about it and my timecard viewer said scheduled day off.

If you're a good employee they're happy you're even there. If you suck you will probably get crap.

WorknLateHuh

If you're a good employee they're happy you're even there. If you suck you will probably get crap.

They may throw good employee's a bone like in your case, but I disagree with mgt being happy you're there. All the hard work is overlooked. All the late nights, chased misloads, helping other drivers, working when you should've stayed home sick, all that selfless/good work ethic mentality is unrecognized. Maybe it is, and never a word is said, idk. At least that's what it's like in my local.

I look at it like this, If you are a really good employee with a great work ethic then you are like a ghost to ups. Because the only time mgt has any reason to come speak to you is when you screw up or show up on a report.

MrFeeder

I look at it like this, If you are a really good employee with a great work ethic then you are like a ghost to ups. Because the only time mgt has any reason to come speak to you is when you screw up or show up on a report.[/QUOTE]
We like to refer to this as staying under the radar.