Braking issue with 2001 Freightliner diesel auto 7-cube

storm-petrel

Wanted to know if anyone ever had a problem with the brakes on a similar pkg car. I was driving around a cul-de-sac counterclockwise. As I hit the brake pedal, the pedal got super hard and wouldn't respond. I of course was heading directly at a car parked in front of me. I pulled the steering wheel as hard as I could to the left in a futile attempt to not hit the parked car.

I've had this pkg car for 4 yrs and never had a brake issue until this incident. The mechanic who inspected the pkg car says there was no problem with the brake system.

Thanks for getting back to me.

over9five

Staff member
The mechanic who inspected the pkg car says there was no problem with the brake system.

Is it the mechanic who the car is assigned to? Even a mechanic in the same building might cover for him. It should have been inspected by a non-UPS mechanic.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Is it the mechanic who the car is assigned to? Even a mechanic in the same building might cover for him. It should have been inspected by a non-UPS mechanic.

I take offense to that statement. I as well as every other mechinic I know takes great pride in doing what we do. The major issue is that we are not allowed in some cases to duplicate the issue. IE... we dont get to drive the same streets under the same conditions.. we get half information, and a lot of drivers tell me what to fix, other that stating what the car is or isn't doing. As far as the braking issue there has been a couple of cases in our building that the power steering pump is starting to fail will work great when there is not a great demand on the sys. Under braking and turning the pump can't keep an adaquate pressue for both systems.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
As far as the braking issue there has been a couple of cases in our building that the power steering pump is starting to fail will work great when there is not a great demand on the sys. Under braking and turning the pump can't keep an adaquate pressue for both systems.

Just out of curiosity, will that cause the brake light on the dash to come on intermittently, and will telematics catch it?

Thanks.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Yea the light should come on and no about telematics. Telematics is only looking for a brake light signal for the actual vehicle lights

bbsam

Staff member
Isn't there also an electric brake boost on these and could there be an issue with a intermitent connection? With vehicle off step on brake and you hear an electric motor? Also, I think it is tied into power steering pump for hydro boost. Low on steering fluid sounds like the issue since happened with wheels turned sharply.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sounds like the ABS system to me. My car does the same thing if I am going downhill on gravel or if my back wheels are catching air off of a washboard surface and I cram on the brakes. Thats how it is supposed to work. It will decrease your stopping distance in a panic stop, but a skilled driver can stop a car faster without ABS if he knows what he is doing and is familiar with the vehicle

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was having power steering problems, turned out the pump was going out. The power steering and brakes run off the same system. When the pump starts going out, there is too much demand on the system, so I would lose power steering. They replaced my steering box too, it took a couple of days to bleed all of the air out of the system.