Break

Sixth Punch Sense

Since peak ended the Sups have been nuts about break. Everyday it's something new, but today was the kicker.

Break has to be within a quarter mile of trace and break starts as soon as you head to your break spot. So the idiots want us to punch our break in, then drive to our destination. We have 10% of our building out with covid but they care about the 5 minutes it takes to drive to a bathroom. It's a termination if you get in accident while off the clock.

PT Car Washer

Since peak ended the Sups have been nuts about break. Everyday it's something new, but today was the kicker.

Break has to be within a quarter mile of trace and break starts as soon as you head to your break spot. So the idiots want us to punch our break in, then drive to our destination. We have 10% of our building out with covid but they care about the 5 minutes it takes to drive to a bathroom. It's a termination if you get in accident while off the clock.
Even on break you should still be on the clock. Especially if you are driving the package car.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Our language only covers 1 mile for lunch and I think it's fair to only deliberately drive out of your way to somewhere personal just once. Especially when on top of a myrid of other exceptions (finding a restroom, getting water, finding shelter from the heat, which is state law now, and otherwise getting the vehicle into a safe park position for all of 15 minutes)
.25 miles likely won't seal away anything at a panel hearing. Our local practice make travelling while on lunch a big nono because it is subtracted from DOT hours of availability but they do not subtract breaks from DOT (they can, they just choose not to) so there is a little bit of wiggle room to travel while on break but I would still advise against it.

tldr ask your stewards and BA about this and they will likely tell you to punch break when you shut the truck off. not while travelling. but they may have special rules and advice for WHY you are travelling before a break.

This was flavor of the month a year or so ago, on a seperate forum post,

Last edited:

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Bathroom isn’t break time. It’s a human necessity on the clock every time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bathroom isn’t break time. It’s a human necessity on the clock every time.
Yes and no. When I was training new drivers I would tell them that should try to take advantage of delivery stops that have public restrooms and that they would not need to punch out while using them; however, if they are driving specifically to take a leak, that would be considered to be a break and they would need to punch out.

I also strongly encouraged them to "brown bag" it, especially during their first 30 days, but that if they did choose to buy their lunch that they were allowed to go up to one mile on either side of the main road to find someplace to eat; in other words, they couldn't drive more than a mile to get to their favorite lunch place. Lunch starts once you have secured the vehicle, not after you have used the bathroom, cleaned up and ordered your meal.

You should never operate a UPS vehicle while off the clock. We used to have drivers who would punch out before after their last delivery stop and before making their way back to the building to make sure that they were under 9.5. Getting in to an accident while driving off the clock is not something that you want to deal with.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

I guarantee you a sup training someone would drive over .25 miles to go to their favorite restaurant on that route…guaranteed !!

Est.1998

Our language only covers 1 mile for lunch and I think it's fair to only deliberately drive out of your way to somewhere personal just once. Especially when on top of a myrid of other exceptions (finding a restroom, getting water, finding shelter from the heat, which is state law now, and otherwise getting the vehicle into a safe park position for all of 15 minutes)
.25 miles likely won't seal away anything at a panel hearing. Our local practice make travelling while on lunch a big nono because it is subtracted from DOT hours of availability but they do not subtract breaks from DOT (they can, they just choose not to) so there is a little bit of wiggle room to travel while on break but I would still advise against it.

tldr ask your stewards and BA about this and they will likely tell you to punch break when you shut the truck off. not while travelling. but they may have special rules and advice for WHY you are travelling before a break.

This was flavor of the month a year or so ago, on a seperate forum post,
I recall this post talking about it to a certain extent mainly to those who skip lunch.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
...and depends upon the area....we had some very rural routes in my former area and there was a bit more leniency on the 1 mile each side of the main road rule in those areas...
They told rural routes here to pick up something when you were in an town to eat at your lunch for later…they werent going to let those folks drive 5 miles each way for a subway meatball sub…

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They told rural routes here to pick up something when you were in an town to eat at your lunch for later…they werent going to let those folks drive 5 miles each way for a subway meatball sub…
Of course, the only time this was an ever an issue is if the driver consistently ran at least .5 or more over. Run scratch or better and they wouldn't say a word.