Breaks / Meal Periods

herbigharo32

As of late, the sort at the DFW Airport hub has been runner increasingly longer. It is common to run over 5 hours these days. Those who work on air volumn seem to get absolutely no break or meal periods. Why is it only certain belts get rest breaks whereas many other areas don't get any at all. Personally, my productivity takes a MASSIVE nose dive after 4.5 - 5 hours of working straight non stop. This is very pronounced on small sorts because after 4 hours, the PPH tanks pretty hard across the entire board. I'm just putting this out because the union seemed to have no interest in making sure everyone in the building gets a break when the sort is expected to last more than 3 hours.

herbigharo32

True but employers also has the option to give out rest breaks and/or lunches. In fact, most do even in Texas. It's getting very aggravating because the shifts starts really dragging out because of this. Try bagging when both of the sorters next to you are pooped out....; get the picture?

Rack em

Made the Podium
True but employers also has the option to give out rest breaks and/or lunches. In fact, most do even in Texas. It's getting very aggravating because the shifts starts really dragging out because of this. Try bagging when both of the sorters next to you are pooped out....; get the picture?
They dont allow bathroom breaks either?!

herbigharo32

Of course we can use the bathroom. In fact, one of the nicest things about going over 5 hours without a break is overtime :censored2:. A man has to go poop eventually...right?? LOL. Now those are some pricy turds... *chuckles*

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
As of late, the sort at the DFW Airport hub has been runner increasingly longer. It is common to run over 5 hours these days. Those who work on air volumn seem to get absolutely no break or meal periods. Why is it only certain belts get rest breaks whereas many other areas don't get any at all. Personally, my productivity takes a MASSIVE nose dive after 4.5 - 5 hours of working straight non stop. This is very pronounced on small sorts because after 4 hours, the PPH tanks pretty hard across the entire board. I'm just putting this out because the union seemed to have no interest in making sure everyone in the building gets a break when the sort is expected to last more than 3 hours.
Southern Supplement Article 49.
SECTION 3 - PART-TIME RELIEF PERIODS Part-time employees will be guaranteed ten (10) minutes relief period each work shift. The relief period may not start before the end of the first (1st) hour and must be completed by the end of the third (3rd) hour.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If your contract allows a break, take one. File a grievance if you are threatened not to take a break.

BrownTexas

Call your BA. If that does you no good feel free to come to the general meeting and voice your opinion. I find it hard to believe the union has no interest in this as my BA wants the contract enforced from every angle.

tacken

Bring your bottle with you to the work area. You need to go use the bottle and keep working its UPS. Its all about the numbers. Take your breaks!!!!!!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
look at it in 2 ways.

one. it is a scientific fact that productivity jumps when workers take their breaks and meals at the appointed times.

two. you work safer. do you want to cause an accident and hurt someone? a lot of people are hurt and some are killed in work place accidents usually caused by fatigue.

find out what the rule is and take your breaks.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You usually see increased misloads after break actually.

But that shouldn't matter. He is Contractually guaranteed a break, so he should get one
You know why, it's because the herd goes out to the parking lot to toke up... Can't you smell the strentch in the air when the wind blows it into the bldg... Almost as bad as the blue exhaust cloud from the trucks we all breathe in on a daily basis...