Bricking out trucks

PTPeanuts

I'm getting conflicting messages at work and not sure what to do at the end of preload.

Usually when we finish the last trailer, most of the preloaders are cut before the air truck gets there, including me.

I used to leave all of the oversized and bulk stuff stacked out so that the drivers could walk in their trucks to load the air properly.

However the drivers started complaining about having to load all of this stuff, so the new set of instructions were to just "brick the trucks out" and the drivers could just figure out what they wanted to do with air.

Now a week later I'm getting in trouble for bricking the trucks out, PT sup coming up to me looking at the truck and saying "how is the driver supposed to load his air when he can't even walk through the truck."

WTF am I supposed to do? Is there any official instructions about this b/c my seems to change his tune on a daily basis.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
I have strict instructions never to load bulk/brick out my car. I'm in a P57 and want to load bulk in a specific order. When the loaders do it I'll toss it all out and reload it. I don't need the OT and my route is too big to just run bulk. Though at times I have to.

Richard Cranium

I have strict instructions never to load bulk/brick out my car. I'm in a P57 and want to load bulk in a specific order. When the loaders do it I'll toss it all out and reload it. I don't need the OT and my route is too big to just run bulk. Though at times I have to.
Toss it all out and reload it after start time?

542thruNthru

I'm getting conflicting messages at work and not sure what to do at the end of preload.

Usually when we finish the last trailer, most of the preloaders are cut before the air truck gets there, including me.

I used to leave all of the oversized and bulk stuff stacked out so that the drivers could walk in their trucks to load the air properly.

However the drivers started complaining about having to load all of this stuff, so the new set of instructions were to just "brick the trucks out" and the drivers could just figure out what they wanted to do with air.

Now a week later I'm getting in trouble for bricking the trucks out, PT sup coming up to me looking at the truck and saying "how is the driver supposed to load his air when he can't even walk through the truck."

WTF am I supposed to do? Is there any official instructions about this b/c my seems to change his tune on a daily basis.

Did your sup tell you to brick out the trucks before or did you do it because the drivers wanted you to?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Brick out the trucks but starting at the bulkhead door. Very high and tight like an outbound load. Ensure there is enough room to load all of the late air and etc. after ~9.

kidding

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Welcome to UPS. Land of conflicting rules. May I suggest bricking out one half of the truck?
What he said!

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Yo if you don't got room to stack and the dispatch is BS then you did all you could, fk em up with questions upon questions about "how you are supposed to load 400 pieces into a p8"

If you want to improve a little on bulking the floor then a good rule of thumb is to get resis in first then businesses and air against the rear door.

And as always, the more you can cram the top shelves the less will end up on the floor.

PTPeanuts

Yo if you don't got room to stack and the dispatch is BS then you did all you could, fk em up with questions upon questions about "how you are supposed to load 400 pieces into a p8"

One of the main problems is that my sup is just flat-out delusional.
I don't know what model the trucks are but one day I had like 400 huge bulk boxes and oversized stuff and they gave me the smallest truck in the center to put it on. I knew like an hour into the shift that it wasn't going to fit but the stuff just kept coming. Sup came over to see how things were going, I told him it wasn't gonna fit, he says nah it'll fit just brick it out.
At the end of the shift literally over half the dispatch was stacked out on the floor and the truck was bricked from floor to ceiling door to door. He walked over, didn't say anything, and just told me it was 9 and that I needed to get off the clock.
It's like he's totally delusional or just sticks his head in the sand.
And each day they are moving trucks around, waiting 30 minutes into the shift before telling me everything I just loaded has to go somewhere else, blah blah blah, not giving me my dispatch sheets until 45 minutes in. It's just a nightmare every day.

A lot of different variables. If you have a commercial route preload you're probably going to have 3-4 stops with 20+ boxes. I do. If you have the same trucks every night you get used to the route and what to expect. I don't have a choice but to stack out then brick out at the end of the shift. I have the same three trucks so I know the order the driver wants it in and he knows there is no choice but to brick it out. If nobody is complaining then you did a good job.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Dude I used to go through this exact scenario. Here’s what you do to cya:
At the end of the day, before you finish wrapping, you grab a sup and tell them to come over to your truck. You ask them to direct you on how to load the rest of your truck. You make it clear that you don’t want to get in trouble, and that you need direction to correctly wrap and finish your day. Period. If they wanna friend with you because they over dispatched the driver and are looking to deflect the blame, you let them decide what you should do.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Also, communicate with your divers about what’s going on. A lot of guys will attempt to use you to, once again, deflect blame for their poor production. You need to talk to your drivers. Let them know what’s going on. Let them know what you’re being directed to do. Ask them what THEY want; air loaded or in a tub outside the truck? If I’m covering a route for a whole week I usually tell the loader on Monday to leave the irregs out all week and let me load them myself. The loader has absolutely no way to determine where Orion has us going at what time.
Communicate, communicate communicate. With all parties. If you continue to get bagdered for quality go right up to the center manager and explain the situation. “I really like it here and I want to do a good job.” If they start playing games with you, your only option is to play right back

Brisket

Also, communicate with your divers about what’s going on. A lot of guys will attempt to use you to, once again, deflect blame for their poor production. You need to talk to your drivers. Let them know what’s going on. Let them know what you’re being directed to do. Ask them what THEY want; air loaded or in a tub outside the truck? If I’m covering a route for a whole week I usually tell the loader on Monday to leave the irregs out all week and let me load them myself. The loader has absolutely no way to determine where Orion has us going at what time.
Communicate, communicate communicate. With all parties. If you continue to get bagdered for quality go right up to the center manager and explain the situation. “I really like it here and I want to do a good job.” If they start playing games with you, your only option is to play right back

Orion?! Lol, if we are lucky here we can actually GET EDD by start time, usually it’s still not released because of late shuttles and whatnot.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
One of the main problems is that my sup is just flat-out delusional.
I don't know what model the trucks are but one day I had like 400 huge bulk boxes and oversized stuff and they gave me the smallest truck in the center to put it on. I knew like an hour into the shift that it wasn't going to fit but the stuff just kept coming. Sup came over to see how things were going, I told him it wasn't gonna fit, he says nah it'll fit just brick it out.
At the end of the shift literally over half the dispatch was stacked out on the floor and the truck was bricked from floor to ceiling door to door. He walked over, didn't say anything, and just told me it was 9 and that I needed to get off the clock.
It's like he's totally delusional or just sticks his head in the sand.
And each day they are moving trucks around, waiting 30 minutes into the shift before telling me everything I just loaded has to go somewhere else, blah blah blah, not giving me my dispatch sheets until 45 minutes in. It's just a nightmare every day.
I would suggest not worrying about it. Is your sup a brick wall? Lacking concern for a safe work environment or even basic morale? The less concern you show, the more concern you'll recieve