Broken Wrist my Fault

MassWineGuy

I’m not too surprised but I am completely disgusted by what happened at work today. Some background: I slipped on ice in December and broke my wrist. Poorly lit parking lot with a drop box, black asphalt. Literally black ice.

So my manager says she has something for me to sign concerning my injury. I look and it’s labeled “Judgment.” Basically, I was at fault for slipping because I acted in an unsafe manner.

Even if I was walking carefully and couldn’t see any ice, another manager sitting in the office said that I should have known that, it being a freezing winter day, that ice was possible. I told him it was so great that he had an answer for everything.

I looked my manager in the face and told her this was b.s. and I wouldn’t sign it. And I won’t.

At UPS there were boxes of slip-on cleats to take before heading out. At FedEx we get safety flyers telling us to walk like penguins on ice. The district safety person is pretty useless. I think he’s more focused on the safety of the corporation’s workman’s compensation premiums.

I don’t see how managers can look at themselves in the mirror when they’re forced to stuff this crap down our throats. I guess that getting lymphoma was also my fault. Should have known that breathing air and eating food was risky.

I found the whole thing totally repulsive. But, again, not too surprising.

vantexan

I’m not too surprised but I am completely disgusted by what happened at work today. Some background: I slipped on ice in December and broke my wrist. Poorly lit parking lot with a drop box, black asphalt. Literally black ice.

So my manager says she has something for me to sign concerning my injury. I look and it’s labeled “Judgment.” Basically, I was at fault for slipping because I acted in an unsafe manner.

Even if I was walking carefully and couldn’t see any ice, another manager sitting in the office said that I should have known that, it being a freezing winter day, that ice was possible. I told him it was so great that he had an answer for everything.

I looked my manager in the face and told her this was b.s. and I wouldn’t sign it. And I won’t.

At UPS there were boxes of slip-on cleats to take before heading out. At FedEx we get safety flyers telling us to walk like penguins on ice. The district safety person is pretty useless. I think he’s more focused on the safety of the corporation’s workman’s compensation premiums.

I don’t see how managers can look at themselves in the mirror when they’re forced to stuff this crap down our throats. I guess that getting lymphoma was also my fault. Should have known that breathing air and eating food was risky.

I found the whole thing totally repulsive. But, again, not too surprising.
With all due respect I can remember when you first arrived on the forum and thought everything was pretty good at FedEx. Now you're seeing what many of us have experienced over the years. If you're lucky you have a decent manager but many seem to go out of their way to make you miserable. And while it may be much of the same elsewhere if you combine the pressure to perform with the company's desire to blame everything on the employees in an effort to save a nickel then you have one messed up workplace.

MassWineGuy

Of course I beeped my horn.

Yes, this was a somewhat sobering experience. But on balance, I still like working there. The blame-the-employee issue is the same at UPS. Yes, Van, it most definitely is messed up. My manager has been here less than a year, but I think she’s pretty good. She appears to value our work and realize where her quarterly bonuses come from. I think she’s getting rammed from above, as well, to uphold awful policies. Not that I excuse the lack of morality and cowardice managers show by doing this.

If and when something better appears, I’ll consider another job.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you go on comp as a result of your "alleged" injury? (sorry---just having some fun) Would signing the judgement in some way affect those comp payments?

vantexan

Of course I beeped my horn.

Yes, this was a somewhat sobering experience. But on balance, I still like working there. The blame-the-employee issue is the same at UPS. If and when something better appears, I’ll consider another job.
It may be the same at UPS but at least they're compensated with much better pay and benefits. Get treated like that then go through a decade of 2% raises or no raise while benefits keep getting reduced. Gives you a better perspective.

MassWineGuy

No question, Van. But I refuse to believe it’s all horrible and go to work feeling bitter each day. I just got a raise that was more than five percent.

And Upstate, I’m no longer on workman’s comp. FedEx is doing this to cover their posterior.

vantexan

No question, Van. But I refuse to believe it’s all horrible and go to work feeling bitter each day. I just got a raise that was more than five percent.
Because you didn't live through it all. And great for you if you didn't. Someone starting today has a reasonably quick path to better money. Doesn't know any better about his retirement choices verses what they took away from us. But it's only when they are faced with a negative event where the company made them the bad guy do they get a taste of what we went through. I once was delivering in the Rockies with a 4X4 van. In the 40's and road was clear. Drove around a line of cars and suddenly found myself on a thick sheet of ice in the shade on a slight slope. I couldn't stop the van from moving and it eventually settled against a parked car. Put a small dent in the car. Got a warning letter which I contested. Was told by VP as I had a 4X4 van I should've been in four wheel drive to anticipate any problems. But my mgr told me not to drive in 4X4 unless absolutely necessary because it wore out the truck much faster. And my mgr admitted to me I was right but only the VP's say mattered. Why get so worked up about it? I had another minor accident 6 months before and if I got one in the next 6 I would be fired. It's that kind of inane reasoning coupled with tiny raises/slashed benefits that builds up anger over time.

It will be fine

And Upstate, I’m no longer on workman’s comp. FedEx is doing this to cover their posterior.
Sounds like a good way to make sure the employee gets a lawyer and litigates to me, which is not what Work Comp would want. I’d do that if I were you, if you haven’t received a final settlement yet, lawyer up. Document all your interactions with management in case they try to retaliate. It’s as simple as sending yourself emails from your phone whenever you walk away from a discussion, that’ll provide contemporaneous notes.

MassWineGuy

Lawyer up to accomplish?

All my medical bills were paid, and I received wage compensation while out on leave.

Van, my heart goes out to you. That’s a hellish situation you described.

dezguy

Sounds about right. An asteroid could hit you and, in FedEx's eyes the employee would still be at fault because they failed to anticipate the situation.

It will be fine

Lawyer up to accomplish?

All my medical bills were paid, and I received wage compensation while out on leave.

Van, my heart goes out to you. That’s a hellish situation you described.
You can get a final disability settlement from Comp. I’m sure your wrist still hurts and will forever, perhaps a permanent loss of mobility however minor is grounds for a settlement.

MassWineGuy

Exactly what would I need to do to get this started? Since I’m back on regular duty, how could I possibly claim to be disabled?

In some states workers comp is a “no fault” insurance program. Can’t see the purpose or legal reason why they would want you to admit fault.

MassWineGuy

I’m working my normal duties, they paid my medical bills, my wages while out on medical leave, and they aren’t asking me to repay them. What possible action would I take?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I’m working my normal duties, they paid my medical bills, my wages while out on medical leave, and they aren’t asking me to repay them. What possible action would I take?
Draft a letter stating that FedEx's actions, knowingly requiring you to place yourself in jeopardy by dispatching you into a hazardous situation, resulted in your injury. Then ask your manager/senior manager to sign it. Quid pro quo.

You should receive an offer to finalize your claim, and absolve the company of any future claims, by accepting a cash settlement. If you feel you are whole again, accept it.