Brown up North [Canada]

BrownMeetPurple

kurious, what is the hiring process like at ups canada?

what is the starting wage for drivers?

how are the wage increases?

also, is it the same as fedex where you have p/t and friend/t drivers (17.5hrs and 35hrs respectively)?

how are the routes built?

how many stops a day?

what's a regular day like for p/t and friend/t?

any input appreciated!

dezguy

kurious, what is the hiring process like at ups canada?

also, is it the same as fedex where you have p/t and friend/t drivers (17.5hrs and 35hrs respectively)?

how many stops a day?

any input appreciated!

I've talked to a couple of guys on my route and I think I remember them saying starting wage was $18 something, full rate after 3 years. Top rate is just under $27/hour.

All the drivers they hire at the station in my city are FT but the one guy I talked to said he barely got 20 hours a week his first two years. They'd send him home early almost every day.

Over 100 stops a day.

This is just what I've been told by UPS guys. I'm not too familiar with UPS outside of what I've been told by their guys.

BrownMeetPurple

I've talked to a couple of guys on my route and I think I remember them saying starting wage was $18 something, full rate after 3 years. Top rate is just under $27/hour.

All the drivers they hire at the station in my city are FT but the one guy I talked to said he barely got 20 hours a week his first two years. They'd send him home early almost every day.

Over 100 stops a day.

This is just what I've been told by UPS guys. I'm not too familiar with UPS outside of what I've been told by their guys.

so about the same as purple, just more work.. that's not good!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
what is the hiring process like at ups canada?
Something along the lines of "Want a job, eh?"

Nothing--they pay you in hockey tickets.

After a year, they throw in a moose.

You work 3.5 hours then you get a Le Nap, then work 4 more hours.
With an etch-a-sketch by rabid badgers

how many stops a day?
None, you have St Katherine street. Why on earth would you want to actually deliver anything?

Lots of cursing...but it's in french so meh.

any input appreciated!
Don't let Inde hear you say that.

Nazzrath

I wish I worked ONLY 35 hours a week instead of this 45+ crap. Don't count on a set punch out time.

Part time drivers have it easy. They usually either do morning air deliveries and help some drivers out until noonish, or do some bulk stops and air shuttles in the afternoon.

P

pickup

They still have it better than us. No medical co pay, a real pension instead of a group RRSP, set wage progression, ect.

Are you sure you're talking about Canada as the Original Poster was asking about? Since medical benefits come with being a Canadian, the medical co pay shouldn't exist.

Future

Victory Ride
14540FF510A867ABBEFA32CEA6.jpg
UPS delivery truck in Nova Scotia

dezguy

Are you sure you're talking about Canada as the Original Poster was asking about? Since medical benefits come with being a Canadian, the medical co pay shouldn't exist.

While we have universal health care here, not everything is covered. Stuff like semi private hospital rooms and prescriptions are not covered under health care. This is where our "benefits" kick in and cover that. At FedEx, we have a certain amount come off our pay cheque, depending on how many people we have covered on our benefits, as a copay.

beatupbrown

While we have universal health care here, not everything is covered. Stuff like semi private hospital rooms and prescriptions are not covered under health care. This is where our "benefits" kick in and cover that. At FedEx, we have a certain amount come off our pay cheque, depending on how many people we have covered on our benefits, as a copay.
I read the Canadian government does not allow the pharmaceutical companies to hose people with over priced medicine aaaa?

dezguy

I read the Canadian government does not allow the pharmaceutical companies to hose people with over priced medicine aaaa?

Depends on what your definition of hose people is. My migraine medication would be $700 for 12 pills if not for my benefits which covers 95% of that.

jordo51

Im a driver in the great ( not so white ) north ... Starting wage is just over 13 an hour and tops out at the moment at 27 and change ... And as for how many stops we do it just depends on your area . Usually for myself 90 to 130 . And average 9 to 10 hrs a day

BrownMeetPurple

Im a driver in the great ( not so white ) north ... Starting wage is just over 13 an hour and tops out at the moment at 27 and change ... And as for how many stops we do it just depends on your area . Usually for myself 90 to 130 . And average 9 to 10 hrs a day

that might explain why there is only 1 ups driver for every 2-3 fedex drivers for the area.

johnny canuck

I am a full time driver i work 9-11 hrs/ day. I make top rate 27.29/hr Starting wage is 12.50 and you stay under $15 for 3 years. They will hire anyone the can as turn over is high as who would do this job for 12.50/hr. Stops are out of control keep going up and up. my route used to plan a 8 hour day with 75 stops now 115 doesnt even plan 8hrs. Our contract is up in jun2015 and i will be shocked if we dont go on strike.