Building Transfer Advice

chris9834

Hey guys thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope im posting this tread correctly forgive me if not, I started at a building in the Red River District I started in the hole as I like to call it as a seasonal worker in mid December, and my probation period started on 1/16/14 so basically I'm barely off probation. I'm currently assigned as a loader on midnight shift. Basically i am wishing to transfer to a building 40 miles away from my current building i am at due to recent family issues which i will have to relocate to the other building and i realize senority is everything at this company so I would rather transfer now if possible so I can stay put there and build time for retirement if I get that far lol. I realize transfering without a educational transfer or Military would mean I would not be able to carry over senority which is fine due to the fact that I don't have any at the moment. Ive heard mixed stories on this issue and it can really vary from person to person but I've heard that I'm not eligable for a transfer for a year, and I considered resigning under good terms and reapplying at the preferred building, but I've heard from some people that you can not resign from employment from UPS under a year or you will be placed on the no rehire list? Is this information I've received correct? Its not a major deal if I can't transfer I will just have to tough it out if the information is correct because my long term goals is to become driver and its not worth jeopardize my career over a building transfer. But if a building transfer is possible it would make it semi worth the 8.50 wage as far as fuel cost is concerned thanks again for reading this any help or advise as to where to get the right information on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Cementups

Box Monkey
since you actually lack much seniority at all your best option would be to get a good word from management and try to get hired at the other building.

The only way UPS offered transfers is if you are going to school in the new area you wish to transfer too.

chris9834

Thanks for the info, I will gauge managements reactions tonight lol. Hopefully some good news comes from it, if not i will jus continue to tought it out. Thanks again for your advise.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
With so little time invested it would be best to quit and start over at the new building.

They would probably flag him on the "do not re-hire" list if he did so, unless he was able to work the situation out with local HR/management. He's best off explaining the family situation and asking if he can attain positive re-hire status along with a "good word" once there's an opening at the other hub.

chris9834

Thanks all for yours advise. I'm just going to see what management has to offer. If all else fails I will just tough it out where I'm at. The good thing is that I am only 40 miles out from the hub that I will be moving away from not state lines which would have been a bumber but the good news is the seniority list moves very fast at the one I'm at now so gas expenses will be the least of my worries once I make driver. I just thank UPS should be alittle more flexable in hardship senarios especially at entry level positions all you need to load a wall is a warm body lol, but its all good every job has its politics and I like what UPS has to offer. Thanks again everyone.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Thanks all for yours advise. I'm just going to see what management has to offer. If all else fails I will just tough it out where I'm at. The good thing is that I am only 40 miles out from the hub that I will be moving away from not state lines which would have been a bumber but the good news is the seniority list moves very fast at the one I'm at now so gas expenses will be the least of my worries once I make driver. I just thank UPS should be alittle more flexable in hardship senarios especially at entry level positions all you need to load a wall is a warm body lol, but its all good every job has its politics and I like what UPS has to offer. Thanks again everyone.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I agree with you 100%. The company has permitted hardship transfer in the past, but it takes an Act of God for something like that to be approved now. A company as big as UPS should be allowing PT'ers the flexibility to transfer hubs (while end-tailing seniority) without having to jump through hoops.