Bumped off bidded route

Dad2Dutch

So I won the bid on a route for the week. I do the route Monday. Tuesday the driver comes in and says he's thinking about working. So he finally decides he's working after inspecting the workload and stop count. I ask a shop steward if you're allowed to work your vacations and he says it's a grey area. I get offered to go out blind instead. Is this allowed?

542thruNthru

Here if you come in and work your vacation and someone has bid your route you are moved to the bottom of the seniority list. You have no right to your route if you are on vacation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here if you come in and work your vacation and someone has bid your route you are moved to the bottom of the seniority list. You have no right to your route if you are on vacation.

We are no longer allowed to work our vacations but when we were able to do so we would run our own routes as long as no one was displaced as a result.

Dad2Dutch

I told management I wasn't doing any other route other than what I bid on. Thx for the info. I'll be contacting my BA since the steward wasn't interested in pursuing it.

542thruNthru

I told management I wasn't doing any other route other than what I bid on. Thx for the info. I'll be contacting my BA since the steward wasn't interested in pursuing it.

I agree you should pursue this. I want to warn you though. Drivers will hate your guts for it. They look at it as none of your business and it's THEIR route so they own it. Be prepared I've seen it get ugly. We had a few cover drivers put a stop to it because they would always get screwed on it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree you should pursue this. I want to warn you though. Drivers will hate your guts for it. They look at it as none of your business and it's THEIR route so they own it. Be prepared I've seen it get ugly. We had a few cover drivers put a stop to it because they would always get screwed on it.

It's called vacation for a reason.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
So I won the bid on a route for the week. I do the route Monday. Tuesday the driver comes in and says he's thinking about working. So he finally decides he's working after inspecting the workload and stop count. I ask a shop steward if you're allowed to work your vacations and he says it's a grey area. I get offered to go out blind instead. Is this allowed?
No

542thruNthru

In my center the majority of drivers would support the OP.

I wish it would have been that way here. A lot of guys still hate each other's guts because of it. I would support him 100% but people see it as you messing with their money. A lot of senior guys also saw it as the low man getting to big for his britches.

BlackCat

no it is not allowed.

Once you won the bid for the route for the week, it is yours. That route, for at least that week, is just as much yours as it is his.

Protect what little rights you have as a casual/swing driver.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
if the route went up for bid for the week and you won it it's yours.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

So when was this, since we were off on Monday and vacations have been frozen since Thanksgiving?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Drivers working their vacations blocks out a week a junior driver could have bid and allows UPS to hire/promote fewer drivers. This is why working during vacations is generally not allowed in most supplements.