Bumping and the right way to do it

box_beeyotch

Here's the scenario: today I was made extra and I noticed a seasonal was scheduled on a bid route. I walked over to him and told him that if I didn't find any work, I had no choice but to take his route today (in the blind, zero area knowledge). He gave me the board and immediately found a supervisor. The sup then comes and questions me and said I don't know the area and that's why he was schedule for me so I simply told him I'm willing to learn. He goes, if you really want to do that go for it, get it done. End of the story, another driver ended up wanting the day off so I ran a different route, but my question as a new cover driver in the past 13 months, did I handle this situation correctly?

upschuck

I would have gone to the sup, and let him confront the other driver. That way, he may find something better for you, like he did today.

By The Book

You stood up for yourself and now they know not to schedule around you. I would of went to management first myself after noticing you weren't scheduled and a lower seniority person was. On your start schedule you were probably scheduled with a start time and maybe layoff for the seasonal? Your way was very effective though.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Casual conversation? Driver to driver.

Following the contract? Driver to management to driver.

They get paid to have headaches.

JackStraw

Next time just go to a sup. That said, kudos to you. They cut my route ONCE and said I could go home if I wanted to. No thanks, I'm here to work. They said I would have to pull a route that I didn't know. Sure, no problem. Took a burners route out and ran a buck and a half over. Wasn't fun, but they paid for it. Havn't cut my route since.

Johney

He did the right thing you did not. Find a sup tell them you're bumping so and so let them deal with it. I have seen what you did come back and bite them in the arse for screwing with staffing and not informing a sup.

box_beeyotch

He did the right thing you did not. Find a sup tell them you're bumping so and so let them deal with it. I have seen what you did come back and bite them in the arse for screwing with staffing and not informing a sup.

Good advice. I'll do that next time it happens.

Johney

Good advice. I'll do that next time it happens.
I've seen that same scenario only to have the junior guy say "cool I'm bumped I'm leaving" only to have them add a car and look for YOU who was suppose to be extra. Then them wonder how you all of a sudden have a route and where did the other guy go.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Have you ever had a driver and member of the safety comity follow you for 45 min observing you ??? That is what I would call supervising
I would act like I was going into a business on a stop or go in a business on a stop and then go out the back door and take lunch for an hour. Oh wait...we don't allow our safety committee here to do on-road observations of other union members. :P

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I went in this morning and my route was cut out. It was combined with the route right next to mine in the loop. I was like cool im going home today, I really had no intentions on going home on my way to work( funny how that works lol) but anyway the guy whos route was in was going to run it today. I went to him and he was asking me a lot of questions about my stuff, because he doesn't know it very good and I know his stuff better than he knows mine. He said he was going to work and I looked at him and immediately grabbed the diad from him with a smile and said go home partner I got this, go spend some time with your family. He was like are you sure? I asked him your more senior than me right? He laughed and said yeah, I said enough said have a nice 3 day weekend lol. I have respect for the senior guys and I did what I knew was the right thing to do, hes earned that right ya know. That's how you get respect from others and besides I really like the guy, hes a cool dude and a few years from retirement anyway.:cowboy: