Bumping swing/cover driver rules?

Utahloader

Long story short, I always work whenever possible and never mind getting bumped because I understand senority rules, as it should.. Last night my girlfriend was in the ICU and I had about 2 hours of sleep. I fought through and woke up and got to UPS 15 minutes before start time. I saw I wasn't working (first day I didn't have work in about a month or two.) I stayed in the building until after the pcm then made a B line to my vehicle and left. Literally 10 seconds after I leave I had a driver I usually cover for non-stop calling me. Didn't answer. Then my supervisor texts me and says "He has been looking for you since before start time, return to building." I wasn't hiding, I was at the pcm and in the building.. So I texted him exactly that and returned home. Not hiding in the stalls like other drivers do. I was prepared to run off 2 hours of sleep if need be. I think he just came in late and didn't want to work. He didn't call or text me until after start time. Am I in the right? Any specific language in the contract?

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
You reported for work and weren’t assigned a route. Should be good don’t worry about it. I turn my phone off until I get to the guard shack every single time I find out I’m not working. Next time just don’t answer texts or calls.

GenericUsername

Always grab an unused DIAD when you're not scheduled on a route and want the day off. That's cover driver 101.

I love it when a driver comes up to me when I don't have a route and hands me his board. Nope, b*, you don't have the right to go home whenever you want! Should've called in if you didn't want to work. I'm out!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Long story short, I always work whenever possible and never mind getting bumped because I understand senority rules, as it should.. Last night my girlfriend was in the ICU and I had about 2 hours of sleep. I fought through and woke up and got to UPS 15 minutes before start time. I saw I wasn't working (first day I didn't have work in about a month or two.) I stayed in the building until after the pcm then made a B line to my vehicle and left. Literally 10 seconds after I leave I had a driver I usually cover for non-stop calling me. Didn't answer. Then my supervisor texts me and says "He has been looking for you since before start time, return to building." I wasn't hiding, I was at the pcm and in the building.. So I texted him exactly that and returned home. Not hiding in the stalls like other drivers do. I was prepared to run off 2 hours of sleep if need be. I think he just came in late and didn't want to work. He didn't call or text me until after start time. Am I in the right? Any specific language in the contract?

Two questions:

1) Why did you show up if you weren't on the dispatch and you didn't feel up to working?

2) Why is a driver calling you to cover his route? Scheduling is management's job.

In my state you get a minimum of 2 hours show up pay, and in my rider it's half a day's pay if they don't tell you the day before that you won't be working. If I know I will be working, but not sure what I'll be doing, I'll call an hour or more before start time to see what route they have me dispatched on, and see who I can bump, or if I'd rather take the day off. If you decide after start time that you don't want to work it's too late. Lower seniority drivers are not at the beck and call of higher seniority drivers, they have a right to some notice.