Bunch of crap I tell ya

Insaneasylum

So I there is a good chance that a guy at the bottom of the seniority list is going to get a team run. So a guy with less time than me is going to make bank while I get bumped down on the on call list and struggle to get even 3 days. Talk about messed up. And I know there are 3-4 people above me that would like to have that job also.

Insaneasylum

Yes he's the 2nd from the bottom of the list. And I have been asking to meet the team guys, so that I might have a chance to go out with them. But nothing has come from it. Also these guys know each other outside of work. Just seems like a way to get around the seniority list.

Insaneasylum

Also, I'm not pissed that I didn't get because there are guys above me that would love to have it. But I'm getting moved down on the on call list be cause the former B drive is now going to be on the on call list. So everyone below that driver is getting moved down.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Well, If I had to put my life in someone else's hands while I was laying down back in the sleeper, I would certainly want it to be someone I knew well and trusted. Not some knucklehead who got the job just because of seniority. That is just the way those sleeper jobs are chosen. My advice to you is to start sucking up to some senior feeder drivers. Maybe offer to carry their radio boxes or something.:wink:

Yes he's the 2nd from the bottom of the list. And I have been asking to meet the team guys, so that I might have a chance to go out with them. But nothing has come from it. Also these guys know each other outside of work. Just seems like a way to get around the seniority list.
Maybe they think you smell funny.

clean hairy

If the time comes you are lead driver, and you will spend maybe years with this person working together, do you want to pick the co-driver, or have to work with the highest seniority?
And, the highest seniority could be a person you know to be a real acehole?
You have to choose wisely, as I understand it, you cannot switch co-drivers, is that correct?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If the language in the contract allows the lead driver in the sleeper team to select his co-driver then it is what it is and you are going to have to deal with it. You will probably feel differently once you have enough seniority to be a lead driver yourself and its time to select the person who you will be spending 36 hours in a truck with.

raceanoncr

Well, sorry, but that's the way it is. May not be right in your eyes but you'll view it differently when you gain enough seniority to be "A" driver (if that's what you chose) and need to pick your "B" driver.

Other comments are true. When you're back there TRYING to sleep, you don't want somebody behind the wheel for 10+ hours that just won a bid and gets to go with you. You want somebody you know and trust.

I was "A" driver for 5 yrs. Picked same "B" driver for all those years. Trusted him. Careful, methodical, did pre-trips/post-trips, never lied on paperwork (yes, we had some that did), but he had already gained feeder seniority for some years before that.

In some cases before this, tho, that is, before ANYBODY wanted sleepers here, a couple "A" drivers picked their friends off the street. NOBODY wanted sleepers, feeder drivers, feeder-qualified package drivers, P/Ters qualified with CDLs...NOBODY. At that time, the only runs available were sleeper runs so when feeder school list went up, that probably meant you'd be in sleeper if you qualified. NOBODY wanted it.

It made me especially nervous, tho, when my "B" driver was, unexpectedly sick or off and sleeper cover driver was unavailable....the bottom senior driver without a run was FORCED to go with me. Now, THAT'S scary. Somebody hops on, kicking and screaming and now, you're supposed to sleep? Try it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, If I had to put my life in someone else's hands while I was laying down back in the sleeper, I would certainly want it to be someone I knew well and trusted. Not some knucklehead who got the job just because of seniority. That is just the way those sleeper jobs are chosen. My advice to you is to start sucking up to some senior feeder drivers. Maybe offer to carry their radio boxes or something.:wink:
You anti-Union beyotch scab!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There is no pro/anti union discussion in my reply. Seniority/non seniority maybe. It is definately a fast track for non seniority people to gain seniority. Sure beats being jerked around on call for a new guy in feeders.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Our local amended it so that if an A driver selects someone from the Q with no feeder seniority as their B, that B driver does not get his/her seniority that way. They've got to get it the same way everyone else does

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our local amended it so that if an A driver selects someone from the Q with no feeder seniority as their B, that B driver does not get his/her seniority that way. They've got to get it the same way everyone else does

...which is the way that it should be but he is still working ahead of others so how is that fair?