Burtonsville, MD Feeder Driver Question

Donnie

I am not currently a UPS employee but attended the Feeder Driver information session today. This is the first time I think they have ever hired Feeder Drives off the street apparently because they have so many positions to fill. My question for you current feeder drivers is this: The HR lady said we would be on the Q list according to seniority and she said there is no guarantee we will get a 5 day work week. Obviously during peak season we will get plenty of hours. However, I am trying to decide whether to pursue this opportunity. I don't want t leave my current job to find out I am only going to get 25 or 30 hours a week. Can any of you drivers advise what the bottom of the Q board is like right now? Are these guys getting plenty of work? Any info. you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I have my actual interview next week.

It's an investment. You're going to invest in a smaller paycheck now to get on a board in which you will someday be a fulltime feeder driver. Perhaps the best hourly position at UPS.
Also, the way we are hiring, odds are you will not be at the bottom for long.

MaceFremonti

We are really short on drivers. I could be wrong but I don't think ANY of the guys on our Q list work under 40 hours a week.

Another thing to remember is that there will be a bunch of guys hitting 30 years soon and retiring. It is prime time to start collecting Feeder dime.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Donnie

Thanks guys. I really appreciate that info. I kind of got that impression today but I didn't want to make any assumptions.

newguy2026

I was wondering the same Just had a interview For feeder and Have a driving test set up . I was amazed when I got the call to come in they never higher out side the opportunity is more then I could hope for .

I'm taking a pay cut I hope I can survive and get the hour's I need I'm sure ups will pay off in the long run any info would be appreciated thanks .

newguy2026

I would have never thought the pay was that high I was thinking 65 k a year tops I'd imagine then there interested me then if they brought me back for an interview and now a driving test and thanks for the replys and info I know a lot of guys on the inside hate new hires off the streets

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I would have never thought the pay was that high I was thinking 65 k a year tops I'd imagine then there interested me then if they brought me back for an interview and now a driving test and thanks for the replys and info I know a lot of guys on the inside hate new hires off the streets
Good luck & stay safe.

UPS4Life

Would you like to make over 100 grand a year in about 4 years?
Going to take longer than that if he's not guaranteed time. Q list I'm assuming is a casual??? We're busy now yes I see them hiring full timers day after day. If your a casual you are not a full timer you will see a lot of insiders go full time before you ever think about becoming full time. Hope things are looking up talk to casuals here and there at my building some getting all the hours they want others 3 or 4 days. Good luck to whatever you decide!

Sent using BrownCafe App

newguy2026

Going to take longer than that if he's not guaranteed time. Q list I'm assuming is a casual??? We're busy now yes I see them hiring full timers day after day. If your a casual you are not a full timer you will see a lot of insiders go full time before you ever think about becoming full time. Hope things are looking up talk to casuals here and there at my building some getting all the hours they want others 3 or 4 days. Good luck to whatever you decide!

Sent using BrownCafe App
From what was said to me it's full time but it won't be the first time I've been lied to from a corporation

UPS4Life

From what was said to me it's full time but it won't be the first time I've been lied to from a corporation
just trying to look out for ya. You said your not guarteneed 5 days I would start asking questions. Talked to a casual the other day at my building he just started and he's pissed knowing he should have went inside for 30 days to become full time than be a casual on call 24/7 within your hours and no clue when he will become full time. Now is the time to ask the questions

Sent using BrownCafe App

newguy2026

Yeah guess I'll ask on my road test oh thought they did say after 30 days I'd join the union and receive a raise

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Burt doesn't use casuals so if you get the job you'll be a regular FT driver. You will be on the q list though and I'm not sure how they will handle that, for those of us who already worked at UPS being on the q list means that when feeders doesn't have work for us we go back to our old position but coming off the street you don't have that option soooo...better ask around and find out exactly what the deal is, they might find you work inside.

UPS4Life

Burt doesn't use casuals so if you get the job you'll be a regular FT driver. You will be on the q list though and I'm not sure how they will handle that, for those of us who already worked at UPS being on the q list means that when feeders doesn't have work for us we go back to our old position but coming off the street you don't have that option soooo...better ask around and find out exactly what the deal is, they might find you work inside.
Thanks for clarifying obviously all buildings are different but good to know

Sent using BrownCafe App