Business and Integrity.

ups1990

As collective consumers we place a certain trust in that what we purchase is new and in working condition. We easily gloss over the fact that a business will cheat us in some way. I've seen first hand accounts of owners showing a lack of intergrity towards its customers.

At one UPS store, a person being charged for a new cardboard box when in reality, the owner used a box from an earlier delivery and simply placed it upside down.

Accounts telling customers over the phone that we've picked up their box and to expect delivery of it soon. When they had nothing going out that day.

These are just a small sampling of what we all have probaly seen and more. It makes you uncomfortable to see as a driver and makes me think how I'am getting taken advantage as a consumer.

raceanoncr

Well, as we know, breaking integrity and our virtues has been part of human nature as far as we can count. It's too bad, but, to coin a phrase, "It is what it is".

From CEOs, to politicians, homeowners, consumers, whatever part of any culture we may be in, it's a part of us and we either take part or get TAKEN apart.

I guess in our little part of the world here on BC or at UPS, all we can do is set the example in showing integrity. We're getting paid for it, our customers expect it. Here, again, I say, "HERE", the company knows what to expect out of me. I don't lie, cheat or try to swindle their system in any way, shape or form. Sometimes I rankle their little selves because of my following procedure and policies but, you know what? They don't, can't, won't ever have anything on me. They KNOW what to expect out of me at work, even if they don't show it themselves.

Yes, we have seen this in dealing with customers. Years ago, before this new scanned label thing, remember when the customers either had a rubber-stamped ID number or in some cases, a meter tape ID number with the date clearly stamped on it. Customer would say, "The shipper said they sent that out 3 weeks ago and YOU lost it!". I would ask what part of the country it was coming from and I would tell them that it should have been here on X day (cuz then you could COUNT on service right to the day. Ahhhh...the good ole days). Well, it would finally show up and BINGO, the meter tape date said they just sent it out two days ago! I would show that to customer and said, "Somebody lied to you and it wasn't UPS". Wish I could say that now.

whiskey

Well, as we know, breaking integrity and our virtues has been part of human nature as far as we can count. It's too bad, but, to coin a phrase, "It is what it is".

From CEOs, to politicians, homeowners, consumers, whatever part of any culture we may be in, it's a part of us and we either take part or get TAKEN apart.

I guess in our little part of the world here on BC or at UPS, all we can do is set the example in showing integrity. We're getting paid for it, our customers expect it. Here, again, I say, "HERE", the company knows what to expect out of me. I don't lie, cheat or try to swindle their system in any way, shape or form. Sometimes I rankle their little selves because of my following procedure and policies but, you know what? They don't, can't, won't ever have anything on me. They KNOW what to expect out of me at work, even if they don't show it themselves.

Yes, we have seen this in dealing with customers. Years ago, before this new scanned label thing, remember when the customers either had a rubber-stamped ID number or in some cases, a meter tape ID number with the date clearly stamped on it. Customer would say, "The shipper said they sent that out 3 weeks ago and YOU lost it!". I would ask what part of the country it was coming from and I would tell them that it should have been here on X day (cuz then you could COUNT on service right to the day. Ahhhh...the good ole days). Well, it would finally show up and BINGO, the meter tape date said they just sent it out two days ago! I would show that to customer and said, "Somebody lied to you and it wasn't UPS". Wish I could say that now.
We're still the number one package delivery system out there. I'm all for my customer using us as scapegoats when things go awry. Even if we are knocked down a notch, we are still held in higher esteem over our competition.
Okay, i've got to slow down on the miller's.

As collective consumers we place a certain trust in that what we purchase is new and in working condition. We easily gloss over the fact that a business will cheat us in some way. I've seen first hand accounts of owners showing a lack of intergrity towards its customers.

At one UPS store, a person being charged for a new cardboard box when in reality, the owner used a box from an earlier delivery and simply placed it upside down.

Accounts telling customers over the phone that we've picked up their box and to expect delivery of it soon. When they had nothing going out that day.

These are just a small sampling of what we all have probaly seen and more. It makes you uncomfortable to see as a driver and makes me think how I'am getting taken advantage as a consumer.
Oh yea just think about how ups is taking advantage of you as an employee.

ups1990

anonymous, I'm impressed that you searched out this topic and found this thread. Wow, I totally forgot about this one. Yeah, UPS abuses us but we're paid well.

Integrity

Binge Poster
anonymous, I'm impressed that you searched out this topic and found this thread. Wow, I totally forgot about this one. Yeah, UPS abuses us but we're paid well.
ups1990,

UPS is a corporate entity.

Being an artificial person it has the ability of having near perfect values, ideals, policies and procedures.

This is clearly evident in the UPS Policy Book and the UPS Code of Business Conduct.

UPS as an entity is incapable of abusing anything or anyone.

The abuse you claim is at the hand of real people, people who refuse to uphold the values, ideals, policies and procedures of the artificial entity.

These people do not deserve to earn a living from the entity if they refuse to uphold the values, ideals, policies and procedures.

You have a duty to disclose any abuse perpetrated by a person claiming to act on behalf of the company.

Specifically how are you being abused?

I will help if I can.

Sincerely,
I

working up a sweat

Some of UPS customers are cheating UPS on shipping weight. Tonight, I loaded 3 packages that had wrong weights that are printed in the upper left hand corner of the label. Box 1 said 15 lbs. (actually around 50 pounds). Box 2 was an ireg that said 1 lb.(actually around 55 pounds). Box 3, said 101 lbs, actually 154 lbs.(154 lbs. written on wood crate). UPS is losing revenue on dishonesty of some of their customers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some of UPS customers are cheating UPS on shipping weight. Tonight, I loaded 3 packages that had wrong weights that are printed in the upper left hand corner of the label. Box 1 said 15 lbs. (actually around 50 pounds). Box 2 was an ireg that said 1 lb.(actually around 55 pounds). Box 3, said 101 lbs, actually 154 lbs.(154 lbs. written on wood crate). UPS is losing revenue on dishonesty of some of their customers.

Customers have been cheating UPS since 1907. To counter that, UPS does revenue audits to recover any lost revenue and adds a surcharge to any packages found not to be in compliance. One of the most common errors involves dimensional weight. Do they catch them all? No but they do catch most of them. If you handle a package that has an obvious weight error you should bring it to the attention of your supervisor so that a revenue audit can be performed.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Customers have been cheating UPS since 1907. To counter that, UPS does revenue audits to recover any lost revenue and adds a surcharge to any packages found not to be in compliance. One of the most common errors involves dimensional weight. Do they catch them all? No but they do catch most of them. If you handle a package that has an obvious weight error you should bring it to the attention of your supervisor so that a revenue audit can be performed.

RS labels seem to be the biggest culprit. Rarely is the weight on the tag the same as the box you pick up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

RS labels seem to be the biggest culprit. Rarely is the weight on the tag the same as the box you pick up.

This seems to work both ways for me. I pickup at a Toyota dealership and there is a note in the DIAD to pickup any packages regardless of weight. All of their RS tags say 35 lbs. Most times the pkgs are lighter but there are times when they are much heavier, which could be a safety issue for our inside workers.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Do they still audit at your center? They do it in Syracuse now, for us. They have cut that out of our metro's duties.

menotyou

bella amicizia
No, they stopped doing revenue audits here a few years ago. I think they are done either in Syracuse or Albany.
Don't you guys have quite the volume of internationals? I heard that from hamburglar and always wondered. He said your metro was much bigger than ours. Which is totally believable. I just wondered.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't you guys have quite the volume of internationals? I heard that from hamburglar and always wondered. He said your metro was much bigger than ours. Which is totally believable. I just wondered.

We process a ton of RTA furniture from Canada--these come in already labeled but are not international.

We do a lot of international volume and do process all of that here in our center. We don't do revenue audits anymore.

Our metro sort is quite busy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Folks who pay and print at home are the biggest cheaters either by choice or just plain dumb.

You are right but those packages get charged the right weight when its all done.
UPS Systems are heavily populated with DWS (Dimensional Weighing Systems) and UPS Closed Loop Billing charges these mis-weighed packages at the actual weight or Dimensional weight.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are right but those packages get charged the right weight when its all done.
UPS Systems are heavily populated with DWS (Dimensional Weighing Systems) and UPS Closed Loop Billing charges these mis-weighed packages at the actual weight or Dimensional weight.

...plus a revenue adjustment surcharge...