Business-Heavy Route -- Question

PPH_over_9000

So I'm covering for a driver this week with some super heavy pick-ups (compared to what I'm used to.) A little background info:

~160 resi stops, about 50 businesses

Pick-ups start at 11:30am. 11:30, 11:45, 11:45, 12:15. Then I'm supposed to do resi before the HEAVY pick-ups start at 14:30, 14:45, 15:00, 15:00, 15:30. Then resi's again until pick-ups start at 17:30, 17:45, 17:45: 18:00, 18:15, 18:30.

I was doing well until I rolled into Target 45min early for a 17:45 pick-up. ~450 pieces later and I'm now late for every other pick-up in my board. On top of that, I can't even move in the back of the truck because it's so packed. So I rolled back to the building, spent another half hour unloading all this crap I just picked up. Went back out and finished my deliveries.

The computer says I should've been back at the building at 18:49. :censored2:ing how?!? How do you guys manage this many scheduled pick-ups and still get everything delivered? Am I just in for a week of 9pm-10pm punch-outs or am I * and just don't know how to run this route?

This doesn't even include the 4 on-demand alerts for resi pick-ups I got throughout the day that had me retracing steps for every single one. Alert comes through at 3pm? Yeah, I was on that street at 10am and I have no :censored2:ing clue how to get back to to. Next alert comes through: ":censored2:! I was on that street around 11am." Over and over again. I also like how they have me scheduled to be at two addresses during the same pick-up window for stops that are liable to push several hundred pieces onto my truck at a time.

On top of all that, how do I fit an hour-long lunch break into a route that had me out 'til 9:30pm without a single 10min break, let alone an entire hour.

What the :censored2: am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rack em

Made the Podium
Work at a safe pace and message in if you will have service failures. It isn't your fault if you are sent out to fail, let management figure it out.

And take your lunch and breaks per the contract!

MassWineGuy

Your UPS colleagues would know better than me. But I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. I don’t know the procedure there. If I get a stop I didn’t know was a bulk pickup and its going to make me late, I always let my manager know. Then, whether they tell me to stay or go, it’s on them, not me.

quad decade guy

The short answer is maybe...

Perhaps on a perfect day....

Now, how over-allowed are you? That is your clue.

If you are doing by the book(honestly)....there is your answer
Work at a safe pace and message in if you will have service failures. It isn't your fault if you are sent out to fail, let management figure it out.

And take your lunch and breaks per the contract!
We all know it isn't quite that simple....

I had a route like that for 14 years. It gradually got heavier and heavier with pickups and deliveries. Getting new pickups weekly. Never losing any. And of course resi's. And yeah, 21:00 building returns.....eventually me leaving for feeders...

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
So I'm covering for a driver this week with some super heavy pick-ups (compared to what I'm used to.) A little background info:

Pick-ups start at 11:30am. 11:30, 11:45, 11:45, 12:15. Then I'm supposed to do resi before the HEAVY pick-ups start at 14:30, 14:45, 15:00, 15:00, 15:30. Then resi's again until pick-ups start at 17:30, 17:45, 17:45: 18:00, 18:15, 18:30.

I was doing well until I rolled into Target 45min early for a 17:45 pick-up. ~450 pieces later and I'm now late for every other pick-up in my board. On top of that, I can't even move in the back of the truck because it's so packed. So I rolled back to the building, spent another half hour unloading all this crap I just picked up. Went back out and finished my deliveries.

The computer says I should've been back at the building at 18:49. *ing how?!? How do you guys manage this many scheduled pick-ups and still get everything delivered? Am I just in for a week of 9pm-10pm punch-outs or am I * and just don't know how to run this route?

This doesn't even include the 4 on-demand alerts for resi pick-ups I got throughout the day that had me retracing steps for every single one. Alert comes through at 3pm? Yeah, I was on that street at 10am and I have no *ing clue how to get back to to. Next alert comes through: "*! I was on that street around 11am." Over and over again. I also like how they have me scheduled to be at two addresses during the same pick-up window for stops that are liable to push several hundred pieces onto my truck at a time.

On top of all that, how do I fit an hour-long lunch break into a route that had me out 'til 9:30pm without a single 10min break, let alone an entire hour.

What the * am I doing wrong?
Ask some one who has done the route how they run it. Sounds like management needs to schedule some sweeps for the route. There’s no way in hell I’m going back to the building to unload then go back out. Oh and take your lunch!!!!!

rustys954rr

I would have either done target in it's entirety last or started it and then broke away to get to the other pickups on time and came back and finished it out at the end of your day.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

The computer says I should've been back at the building at 18:49. *ing how?!? How do you guys manage this many scheduled pick-ups and still get everything delivered? Am I just in for a week of 9pm-10pm punch-outs or am I * and just don't know how to run this route?

This doesn't even include the 4 on-demand alerts for resi pick-ups I got throughout the day that had me retracing steps for every single one. Alert comes through at 3pm? Yeah, I was on that street at 10am and I have no *ing clue how to get back to to. Next alert comes through: "*! I was on that street around 11am." Over and over again. I also like how they have me scheduled to be at two addresses during the same pick-up window for stops that are liable to push several hundred pieces onto my truck at a time.

The regular guy only gets 80 stops, just so you know. Dispatch intentionally screws over guys who don't know enough to run into the office and throw a temper tantrum about crazy over-dispatching. Gotta make that spc number. I refuse to act like a child in order to get a reasonable dispatch. That's why it took 4 years of me taking hour lunches, getting on 9.5, and getting harassed for over allowed before they have finally started to, off and on, relent some and give me somewhat reasonable dispatches a day or two a week.

PPH_over_9000

Thanks for the input, guys. I don't have time to respond individually, gotta get some type of sleep. I've read everything, though-- I'll try to get back to you all tomorrow.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

Don't pay attention to what time the computer says you should be through. If it can be manipulated at ups, it already has been. If they give you crap about numbers, ask them to demonstrate for a day while you observe. No faster way to make them disappear. Try it.

Whither

Scofflaw
210 is a very high stop count for a route that has that many business deliveries and pickups, let alone heavy pickups that blow out your pkg car. How many pieces did you go out with?

Now that you have an idea what the route is like, take your lunch per contract as others have said (here in the Central it's 30 minutes between the 3rd and 6th hr of work) and send messages hectoring mgmt re: getting help to make service on pickups.

That's also a gnarly pickup schedule. Unless the business deliveries were easy/no fuss I might not have a single resi delivered besides NDAs til after the second wave of pickups. And you say those are heavy, so it seems like the route waaaaaay overdispatched and you're set up to fail.

Est.1998

Your route is crazy but here's how I'd attempt to run it (ETA: 21:30pm)
9am-10:30am- NDA and ground/business that i can access.
10:30-11am- 30 min lunch
11am-11:30am- business stops
11:30am-12:15pm- pickups
12:20pm-12:50pm- 30 min lunch
12:50pm-14:30- business stops
14:30-15:30- pickups
15:30-15:40- 10 min break
15:40-15:50- organize
15:50-17:00- complete business stops
17:00-17:45- start resi and pickup any on call pickups
17:45-18:30- pickups
18:30-21:00- resi
Summary:
Commits and business stops are priority.
That route probably has about 50 miles on it.
160 resis sound like a bunch of tight stuff like those new neighborhoods with small yards or townhomes.
They can wait until the end of day.

evilleace

Your route is crazy but here's how I'd attempt to run it (ETA: 21:30pm)
9am-10:30am- NDA and ground/business that i can access.
10:30-11am- 30 min lunch
11am-11:30am- business stops
11:30am-12:15pm- pickups
12:20pm-12:50pm- 30 min lunch
12:50pm-14:30- business stops
14:30-15:30- pickups
15:30-15:40- 10 min break
15:40-15:50- organize
15:50-17:00- complete business stops
17:00-17:45- start resi and pickup any on call pickups
17:45-18:30- pickups
18:30-21:00- resi
Summary:
Commits and business stops are priority.
That route probably has about 50 miles on it.
160 resis sound like a bunch of tight stuff like those new neighborhoods with small yards or townhomes.
They can wait until the end of day.
That's great in theory until you can't get to delivery pieces because if pickup pieces. I don't understand why there are 3 different blocks of pickups. I would try to combine them into 2 blocks, possibly 1.

Is this a route you could pull a tp-60 on to make the early pickups just so you have more room?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

take your lunch at lunch time
Call in and tell your boss your not going get done.it’s not that hard

Do you think your boss skips his lunch ?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The short answer is maybe...

Perhaps on a perfect day....

Now, how over-allowed are you? That is your clue.

If you are doing by the book(honestly)....there is your answer

We all know it isn't quite that simple....

I had a route like that for 14 years. It gradually got heavier and heavier with pickups and deliveries. Getting new pickups weekly. Never losing any. And of course resi's. And yeah, 21:00 building returns.....eventually me leaving for feeders...

How over allowed are you. Lmao 40 years here and you still don’t get that the numbers mean nothing.