Business Journal - Here's The Story Behind The Strike That Got 250 UPS Workers Fired

Catatonic

Nine Lives
From the article:
UPS said it dismissed Reyes on Feb. 14 because he repeatedly clocked in earlier than his shift was set to start, which resulted in his being paid overtime for hours that he allegedly didn't work.

According to the union, Teamsters Local 804, the firing violated an "innocent until proven guilty" clause that allows terminated employees to continue working until they have had an opportunity to defend themselves in a hearing with union and UPS officials.

That hearing was eventually held on Feb. 26 at the Maspeth distribution facility where Reyes worked, and his termination was upheld. Immediately following the meeting, Reyes walked out of the facility with about 250 workers in tow.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-ups-fired-250-workers-2014-4#ixzz2y2JDdVpN

oldngray

nowhere special
From the article:
UPS said it dismissed Reyes on Feb. 14 because he repeatedly clocked in earlier than his shift was set to start, which resulted in his being paid overtime for hours that he allegedly didn't work.

According to the union, Teamsters Local 804, the firing violated an "innocent until proven guilty" clause that allows terminated employees to continue working until they have had an opportunity to defend themselves in a hearing with union and UPS officials.

That hearing was eventually held on Feb. 26 at the Maspeth distribution facility where Reyes worked, and his termination was upheld. Immediately following the meeting, Reyes walked out of the facility with about 250 workers in tow.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-ups-fired-250-workers-2014-4#ixzz2y2JDdVpN

duplicate post. Cheryl posted it earlier today. But since Reyes did have his hearing that tends to blow up Liam's claims of violating due process.

thessalonian13

From the article:

How can you clock in early? That makes no sense!!! My start time is 840am but I am usually in the center by 825am and I punch in my DIAD at that time and get EDD. I do not start getting paid until 840am even though I punched in at 825am. Something is not right with the article or what he got fired for. According to the article then I could get fired too for "punching in early." Am I missing something here?

oldngray

nowhere special
How can you clock in early? That makes no sense!!! My start time is 840am but I am usually in the center by 825am and I punch in my DIAD at that time and get EDD. I do not start getting paid until 840am even though I punched in at 825am. Something is not right with the article or what he got fired for. According to the article then I could get fired too for "punching in early." Am I missing something here?

I think he changed the start time in his DIAD and started working early. If he did that though, it would show on a report and he wouldn't get paid for that time without a manager OK'ing it the next day.

thessalonian13

I think he changed the start time in his DIAD and started working early. If he did that though, it would show on a report and he wouldn't get paid for that time without a manager OK'ing it the next day.
If he did that then he deserves to get fired. We don't get to choose our start times unfortunately. Management does. We need to know the details on this story before we make our opinions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is not necessarily true. We start at 9 on Mondays and 9:25 the rest of the week. Our DIADs are set at 9:25 so we have to change our start times on Monday. We also change our start times for training---we enter the time spent on training under Other Work. I am on the Safety Committee and change my start time for meetings and setting up demonstrations.

It sounds like Reyes was given the OK in the past to change his start time to sort his pkg/help his loader and figured it was OK to keep doing it as needed.

Sent using BrownCafe App

thessalonian13

This is not necessarily true. We start at 9 on Mondays and 9:25 the rest of the week. Our DIADs are set at 9:25 so we have to change our start times on Monday. We also change our start times for training---we enter the time spent on training under Other Work. I am on the Safety Committee and change my start time for meetings and setting up demonstrations.

It sounds like Reyes was given the OK in the past to change his start time to sort his pkg/help his loader and figured it was OK to keep doing it as needed.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Nobody gets the ok to do that in our building. And if they did it would have go according to seniority order to start earlier. Good hypothesis though.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Sent using BrownCafe App
We've all worked at ups long enough to know you never assume anything. You cya and ask.

Johney

I used to be asked a lot to punch in early and help wrap up the preload. I just tell them no start time is whatever I don't want to work anymore than I have to.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
From the article:

The way I read this is: Reyes may have a claim for the time missed between the 14th and 26th, however his termination was upheld. It sounds to me, somehow he found a way to get overtime by changing his start time. How this ever got by management, I have no idea.

The real question is about the other 250. Who led this action? Should the penalty for that action (short protest) be termination or perhaps something less, a 3 day suspension for example.

iruhnman630

Each individual should be disciplined individually. Warning letters, suspensions, and terminations based on each individuals own actions that day and their work history, just as any disciplinary action should be handled.

804brown

The way I read this is: Reyes may have a claim for the time missed between the 14th and 26th, however his termination was upheld. It sounds to me, somehow he found a way to get overtime by changing his start time. How this ever got by management, I have no idea.

His termination was "upheld" by his accusers!! No arbitrator has UPHELD anything!! Usually in cases such as these (non Cardinal sin), he continues to work until an arbitrator rules. And by the way he did get the ok from his manager to start early WHICH MEANS HE HAS TO CHANGE THE START TIME IN HIS DIAD. What pissed off his manager was that he put his name on a large grievance signed by many about ups violating members seniority on start times!!

oldngray

nowhere special
It sounds like the center manager got pressure from above and put the hammer down. Whether he did OK the change in start time or not he will never admit it now. And Reyes should have known to get a witness (no way a center manager puts anything in writing).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds like the center manager got pressure from above and put the hammer down. Whether he did OK the change in start time or not he will never admit it now. And Reyes should have known to get a witness (no way a center manager puts anything in writing).

I don't think the center manager was involved in the conversation.