Butter/Margarine with coldcut meat sandwiches ?

Butter/Margarine with cold cuts meat sandwiches ?

• Total voters

klein

Für Meno :)
I know it's not commen at all in Florida to have butter on meat sandwiches, and I argued over it a few times.
Because I have been told it's only a German thing to do.

But, after searching the net today, I found this website :

Do British people really put butter on sandwiches?

I'm talking MEAT sandwiches, like pastrami. Do they really put butter on them??? Or is butter in Britain different from butter in the US??

Personally, I do always have butter on all sandwiches, including meat ones.
And, I believe most Canadians do so as well.

I'm curious what you, (mostly US), UPSer's do.

My aunt in Florida won't even use butter with cheese sandwiches !
Is that normal in the US ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hubby thinks I'm crazy when I spread butter on the bread and add Virginia Ham and nothing else......great flavor!! It's either that way or mayo only. Cappacola works good too !! Butter goes on the outside of cheese sandwiches to make toasted cheese sandwiches.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hubby thinks I'm crazy when I spread butter on the bread and add Virginia Ham and nothing else......great flavor!! It's either that way or mayo only. Cappacola works good too !! Butter goes on the outside of cheese sandwiches to make toasted cheese sandwiches.

Butter works well on pumpernickel bread. My best friend when I was a kid had a German mother so I got use to it.
Nothing strange about it ... every restaurant you go to has bread and they give you butter with it.

DS

Fenderbender
Butter goes on the outside of cheese sandwiches to make toasted cheese sandwiches.
We call them grilled cheese sandwiches up here.I am a freak for making sure every corner of my bread is buttered.but I use unsalted becel instead of butter.Last night I made a grilled cheese with multi grain Bavarian rye and jack pepper cheese,WOW! OKA cheese is nice too on whole wheat.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DS, when you make your next grilled cheese sandwich, put a slice or two of ham in there. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and a bowl of soup on a cold day.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When we have tomatoes in the summer, you slice them super thin and add them to the sandwich before toasting........

klein

When we have tomatoes in the summer, you slice them super thin and add them to the sandwich before toasting........

Try some sauteed thinly sliced onion with that tomatoe/chesse sandwich. Was 1 of my favorites in Germany (they baked them "openly" though - no double layer of bread - cheese melts over the tomotoe and onions, spiced with pepper & salt and maybe even some marjoram/Basil ??
Basically had to eat them with knife and fork, they also served Hawaiin toast that way (open, with pineapple & cheese on top). Those toast lunches were my favorites back then, in the college dom cafeteria !

They usually used original Edam or Tilsiter for those toasts (not those Kraft crap slices).

klein

Milk, Salt, Bacterial Culture, Microbial Enzymes, Calcium Chloride, Modifefied Milk Ingredients, Lipase, Water, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phosphates, Colour, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Alginate, Ground Mustard, Spice, Cornstarch, Carrageenan, Cellulose Gum, Citric Acid, Lactic Acid

Nutrition facts :
per 1 slice (42g) :
740mg of Sodium (or 31% of daily value intake) !!!!
9 g of fat (or 14% of daily value intake)
25 mg of Cholesteral (or 8% of DV)

The above are taken from my package of Kraft cheese slices, (grilled cheese kind), from my fridge (I do like them on BBQ'd hamburgers).

That's what you call good American cheese ?
Kraft Cheez Whiz is even worse - for 2 tbsp (30g) of spread, it has 20% of DV Sodium. (apprx. 50% more salt then the slices).
I think that's why they call it Cheez - since it's not real Cheese !

C'mom Cachsux, you can do better then that.
Unless you also like Chef Boyadee better then homemade spaghetti and meatballs !

Last edited:
Milk, Salt, Bacterial Culture, Microbial Enzymes, Calcium Chloride, Modifefied Milk Ingredients, Lipase, Water, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phosphates, Colour, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Alginate, Ground Mustard, Spice, Cornstarch, Carrageenan, Cellulose Gum, Citric Acid, Lactic Acid

Nutrition facts :
per 1 slice :
740mg of Sodium (or 31% of daily value intake) !!!!
9 g of fat (or 14% of daily value intake)
25 mg of Cholesteral (or 8% of DV)

The above are taken from my package of Kraft cheese slices, (grilled cheese kind), from my fridge (I do like them on BBQ'd hamburgers).

That's what you call good American cheese ?
Kraft Cheez Whiz is even worse - for 2 tbsp (30g) of spread, it has 20% of DV Sodium.
I think that's why they call it Cheez - since it's not real Cheese !

C'mom Cachsux, you can do better then that.
Unless you also like Chef Boyadee better then homemade spaghetti and meatballs !

I never said it was good cheese. I said American was not good enough for you. Reading is fundamental.

http://www.rif.org/

Last edited by a moderator:

klein

I'm having a lunchsnack - sort of like a German treat :

Ryebread, butter, coarse liver sausage, and hot mustard (Duesseldorfer Loewensenf, imported from Germany). Sometimes I add pickles to this sandwich, but too early in the day for those yet.

P

pickup

You and Klein, peas in a pod.