Buy USA! USA! Trucks and Motors

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This thread was spun off because it is a good discussion of Tundra and newer type drive motors/engines.

Last edited:

wkmac

Did you find a likeable truck ?

Yep. 2017 Tundra 4x4 Double Cab. We are in the process of just ordering one with all the features we want. We got pushed into this because Wednesday a week ago, my wife was driving our 96' GMC 3/4 ton, 454 cu in, 4 wheel drive Suburban (we called it The Beast) when the battery had a catastrophic failure and burnt to the ground. Nobody hurt which is the important part. Wife and I talked it over so this year we get the Tundra and she and I save up for a year and go back and get my wife a Toyota 4Runner 4x. I wanted a Tacoma and I test drove a Tacoma TRD Pro 4x4 but my height and size on a long drive would not work for that truck. My wife loved it so I'm hoping I can convince her too........so I'll be kissing some serious ass for the next year towards that "end" but then I've been loving to kiss that beautiful ass for the last 42 years so it's all good. ;)

We're both going 4 wheel as our retirement spot lends to it. Also went by LEER this afternoon and got the details to order a camper top and a Thule rack to go on top. Winch and front bumper will soon follow.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yep. 2017 Tundra 4x4 Double Cab. We are in the process of just ordering one with all the features we want. We got pushed into this because Wednesday a week ago, my wife was driving our 96' GMC 3/4 ton, 454 cu in, 4 wheel drive Suburban (we called it The Beast) when the battery had a catastrophic failure and burnt to the ground. Nobody hurt which is the important part. Wife and I talked it over so this year we get the Tundra and she and I save up for a year and go back and get my wife a Toyota 4Runner 4x. I wanted a Tacoma and I test drove a Tacoma TRD Pro 4x4 but my height and size on a long drive would not work for that truck. My wife loved it so I'm hoping I can convince her too........so I'll be kissing some serious ass for the next year towards that "end" but then I've been loving to kiss that beautiful ass for the last 42 years so it's all good. ;)

We're both going 4 wheel as our retirement spot lends to it. Also went by LEER this afternoon and got the details to order a camper top and a Thule rack to go on top. Winch and front bumper will soon follow.
I still drive my 2000 Tundra ... it's held up well.
Make sure you get the towing package and brake upgrade if that is still offered.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

WOW!! All this talk of NOT buying Merican in a USA, USA thread... Talk about SMH!! :lol::lol::devil2: I see you're proud again.. lol

wkmac

WOW!! All this talk of NOT buying Merican in a USA, USA thread... Talk about SMH!! :lol::lol::devil2: I see you're proud again.. lol

You never heard me make such argument. But that said, I'm getting a vehicle with as much power as my old 3/4 ton big block, almost the same towing capacity, mileage about the same but even with the addition of some aftermarket pieces installed by dealer and a $2500 Leer Camper Top, I'm still saving over $10k and then I can use that $10k somewhere else to make America great. Besides, the truck is built in Texas!
;)

wkmac

@Baba gounj Officially placing the order in about an hour. We tried to get close to a match out of existing inventory and then complete the truck via dealer add on but we couldn't find a truck close enough. So I'm going to bite the bullet and special order. They officially say it will take 3 months for delivery but they tell me on average it's usually 5 to 6 weeks. Next is to order the top. Gonna get the wife a new ride next year and she was thinking about a Scatpack Charger with 392 hemi but after going through this process with me, she's thinking about a tricked out 4 Runner. We'll see where this goes. Here is a pick that closely resembles what the truck will look like. Color is a match and wheels almost are. I'm getting full running boards and leaning towards a Smittybuilt from bumper with winch but that is later this year. Also probably going with a suspension kit from Icon with Icon adjustable shocks but upper control arms that allow for more suspension articulation. It won't be a pure overlander but it will be close.

One trip I'm already planning after I retire is a road trip from Georgia up through the midwest across Canada, up through the Yukon and then over into Alaska and Fairbanks. From there we head up the Dalton Highway through the Brooks Range and into Deadhorse and Prudhoe Bay. The plan is to dip a toe in the Arctic Ocean. Before we had kids I had a Dodge Powerwagon and we did a lot of winter backpacking and wilderness camping (along with caving) and so we are now re-gearing towards a serious return to at least cool and cold weather wilderness camping in retirement. Ironically my son is at this very minute is at a climbing school, and loving it, so the wife and I might even pull some of our old gear out, refresh it and join him for some fun. No RV for me! ;)

17498969_1373246386029772_674069973061204828_n.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
@Baba gounj Officially placing the order in about an hour. We tried to get close to a match out of existing inventory and then complete the truck via dealer add on but we couldn't find a truck close enough. So I'm going to bite the bullet and special order. They officially say it will take 3 months for delivery but they tell me on average it's usually 5 to 6 weeks. Next is to order the top. Gonna get the wife a new ride next year and she was thinking about a Scatpack Charger with 392 hemi but after going through this process with me, she's thinking about a tricked out 4 Runner. We'll see where this goes. Here is a pick that closely resembles what the truck will look like. Color is a match and wheels almost are. I'm getting full running boards and leaning towards a Smittybuilt from bumper with winch but that is later this year. Also probably going with a suspension kit from Icon with Icon adjustable shocks but upper control arms that allow for more suspension articulation. It won't be a pure overlander but it will be close.

One trip I'm already planning after I retire is a road trip from Georgia up through the midwest across Canada, up through the Yukon and then over into Alaska and Fairbanks. From there we head up the Dalton Highway through the Brooks Range and into Deadhorse and Prudhoe Bay. The plan is to dip a toe in the Arctic Ocean. Before we had kids I had a Dodge Powerwagon and we did a lot of winter backpacking and wilderness camping (along with caving) and so we are now re-gearing towards a serious return to at least cool and cold weather wilderness camping in retirement. Ironically my son is at this very minute is at a climbing school, and loving it, so the wife and I might even pull some of our old gear out, refresh it and join him for some fun. No RV for me! ;)

17498969_1373246386029772_674069973061204828_n.jpg

I'm holding out to see if any decent trucks end up using the newly modified Atkinson reverse piston design by Achates Power .
https://www.trucks.com/2016/12/30/achates-piston-engine-trucks/
Achates’ engines run from a small, twin-cylinder (four pistons) 1.8-liter gasoline model suitable for passenger cars and small crossover SUVs to a 9.8-liter, three-cylinder (six pistons) diesel Class 8 engine rated at 450 horsepower and 1,550 pound-feet of torque.

Maybe in blue .

wkmac

I'm holding out to see if any decent trucks end up using the newly modified Atkinson reverse piston design by Achates Power .
https://www.trucks.com/2016/12/30/achates-piston-engine-trucks/
Achates’ engines run from a small, twin-cylinder (four pistons) 1.8-liter gasoline model suitable for passenger cars and small crossover SUVs to a 9.8-liter, three-cylinder (six pistons) diesel Class 8 engine rated at 450 horsepower and 1,550 pound-feet of torque.

Maybe in blue .

WOW! 55% BTE, that is very impressive. The best current efficiency of current internal combustion technology is in the mid 30's. One advantage of electric over internal combustion is electric motors are now at 95% efficient which is huge as it relates to lost or wasted energy. Will be interesting if we can get internal combustion engines approaching 70% BTE as this may be a real game changer because the other side of the efficiency curve is since more is being converted into real energy, less is wasted in the way of exhaust out the tailpipe.

bbsam

Staff member
I've been amazed that they haven't had diesel electric hybrids in pickups. You know. Like trains. Why reinvent the wheel?

oldngray

nowhere special
I've been amazed that they haven't had diesel electric hybrids in pickups. You know. Like trains. Why reinvent the wheel?

Those diesel electric motors from trains were perfect for old submarines but I doubt they would be very suitable for pickups.