C.D.L. class to choose?

OG MIKE

hi,im barely gonna start working as a package handler but want to get my CDL so i can be a driver,i got expirience driving stick and im studying the book the dmv gave me...hope fully it can help my chances to be driver faster...the dmv says i have to choose a class,class A,class B and class C...i wanted to know witch one do i gotta choose for package car driver...or did the old lady at the dmv not know what she was talking about?

badpal

Re: CDL class to choose?

hi,im barely gonna start working as a package handler but want to get my CDL so i can be a driver,i got expirience driving stick and im studying the book the dmv gave me...hope fully it can help my chances to be driver faster...the dmv says i have to choose a class,class A,class B and class C...i wanted to know witch one do i gotta choose for package car driver...or did the old lady at the dmv not know what she was talking about?
Dont need CDL for package car so i wouldnt rush getting it . Especially if your still young if you get a dwi with a CDL license causes more trouble. I not sure but heard you can be busted with a very low blood alcohol content if you have a CDL. But i guess if you dont drink wouldnt hurt. Especially if things dont work out at UPS, freight drivers in great demand .

upandcomer

Dont need CDL for package car so i wouldnt rush getting it . Especially if your still young if you get a dwi with a CDL license causes more trouble. I not sure but heard you can be busted with a very low blood alcohol content if you have a CDL. But i guess if you dont drink wouldnt hurt. Especially if things dont work out at UPS, freight drivers in great demand .

I believe in most states the legal limit when having a CDL is half the normal legal limit.

Since most states are .08, that would mean you get a DWI, DUI, OWI (whatever your state calls it) at .04. That is basically one beer to give you a frame of reference.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I believe in most states the legal limit when having a CDL is half the normal legal limit.

Since most states are .08, that would mean you get a DWI, DUI, OWI (whatever your state calls it) at .04. That is basically one beer to give you a frame of reference.

Yeap, a DUI is .04 here. Don't waste your time and money to get a CDL for Package Car, you don't need it. I have a sister-in-law that wasted $6000 going to a truck driving school. She didn't like driving tractors, she works for Greyhound now.

JonFrum

Package Car jobs are bid by seniority. You can't speed-up the process.

In the meantime, sign up for Saturday Air Driving to get some experience.

OG MIKE

oh ok,yeah hopefully every thing works out at ups so one day ill get the CDL to jump to freight driver (way down the line) but i guess i dont need it now...thanks guys,i really apppriciate it..ill def sign up for sat air driving as soon as i can

brett636

As already stated you don't need a CDL for package car. If or when you have enough seniority to get a position that requires a CDL (feeders) UPS will train you for it. Don't waste your time for now.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g using tapatalk

Random_Facts

Everyone who already posted before me is correct. You don't need a CDL to drive a UPS package car, but if you HAD to choose a license. I'd go with the A. Seeing as in that case if you ever needed to do A/b or C you can. Seeing as you got the 'king' of all licenses. But that's just my opinion. If you don't plan to do any trucking or 26,001 or higher in weight anytime soon. Then no CDL is better. =). Good luck.