Cable Supported Chutes are accidents waiting to happen.

PE Pro

Today I saw a lady standing under a cable supported slide by one of the metro runouts. Thought I'd throw a quick one out about the dangers of getting under these while they are raised. This happens all the times and it is a catastrophe waiting to happen. The PE dept is horrible at handling cable supported equipment, if you know what's good for you you will never get under one or lean under one while it is raised. Technically this is a lockout violation. I sure I'll get hassled for this. But so what!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You bring up a valid concern. We have one of these on our main belt. It is supported by cables on each side. There is less than 3' between the chute and the belt when the chute is raised so obviously no one could stand under it. The chute is also above a gap in the belts (3-4" gap) where pkgs can get hung up. The potential for injury does exist if a loader is reaching to free packages in that gap and the cables were to break.

The one concern that I do have, and one that I have pointed out to both mgt and Keter, is that there is no black foam protection (think of the stuff used to insulate copper pipes, but thicker) to cover metal corners. The proximity of these corners to the walkway near the belt lends itself to potential injury.

bbsam

Staff member
Why would they break?
If these are the steel cables I am thinking of, breakage is rare and you'll see fraying long before breakage. In fact I've had to cut through that cable before. Not an easy task. Seems like a lock out system could be easily (not cheaply) devised should the concern persist.

PE Pro

Scott called. I talked him out of firing you and cancelling you BC account, but he wants to see you in his office tomorrow.
I rest my case. I will get way more hassles here on the BC. UPS management couldn't care less what I think about their shoddy wire rope methods.:bored:

trenjct

In the past 10 years, I have seen ours come crashing down 3 times, once just missing a supervisor by about a foot, and one time the whole chute and cables and pulley assembly all came down on top of the lower belt, demolishing every package it landed on. So worried about employee safety were they that they replaced it with the exact same setup, reassuring us that there was nothing wrong with the equipment or the design, but insisting that we must be abusing the equipment in some way for it to fail repeatedly. Wow! I guess those hidden cameras must work. I'm totally busted. They must have seen me sneaking up behind the chute to force my load upon it! :)

PE Pro

In the past 10 years, I have seen ours come crashing down 3 times, once just missing a supervisor by about a foot, and one time the whole chute and cables and pulley assembly all came down on top of the lower belt, demolishing every package it landed on. So worried about employee safety were they that they replaced it with the exact same setup, reassuring us that there was nothing wrong with the equipment or the design, but insisting that we must be abusing the equipment in some way for it to fail repeatedly. Wow! I guess those hidden cameras must work. I'm totally busted. They must have seen me sneaking up behind the chute to force my load upon it! :)
This is my point. This equipment does fall and it falls when it is up not when it is down resting on the conveyor. Cable(Actually called wire rope) supported equipment is dangerous and UPS PE does a pitiful job designing, inspecting, and maintaining this type of equipment. UPS management in most cases don't even bother to provide means for blocking this equipment up when someone has to go under one in the raised position. But you can bet you last dollar it is listed in the lockout manual as equipment that has stored hazardous energy. What a shame. :slap:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Cable Supported Chutes are accidents waiting to happen???

3532035775_a4e0a78d98.jpg

Ahhhh, serenity...