CACH Illinois hub Service Failing milions of packages this week!

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I said I wouldn't respond to you in that particular thread, which I didn't.

Rather than mock me why don't you address what I said?

So packages snowball for a day. Big deal. The accident and injury will end up costing the center near $100,000 according to the center manager.

This center spends approximately $19,000 per day on payroll, so even if the center profits at a rate of twice the daily payroll (which we all know is not the case, but I use the number as an illustration), the center lost $62,000, a vehicle, and a driver for an unknown length of time. They could have just as easily played their little games with "weather delays", told us to stay home and made their money the next day when conditions improved. But they didn't. They instead chose to roll the dice and hope for no accidents, no injuries, and profits. They lost.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
UPS has been working with less then the needed amount of workers and cutting it as close as possible for years. 10 plus hour days being the norm. Not enough drivers I feeders.

What happened at Xmas was always going to happen it was just a matter of time, it all looked good on paper I am sure, and we have always found a way to make it work, well this time we couldn't.

If UPS wants to start to re-focus on customer service first again that will be a good thing. But I have a feeling that after a few months of talking about customer service UPS big wigs will be right back to focusing on the stock price and dividends.

I now feel I know how UPS will fail.

oldngray

nowhere special
carl_sagan.jpg

fiddledee

I just got home from CACH Illinois where we had to run to grab a ton of trailers that were already failed by the giant hub. UPS is currently flying out managers, supervisors and any other management personnel with a Class A license to move trailers around Chicago.

TOS.

TOS why are they running sleeper teams when they could run extra trains to the west coast?

TOS why are they running sleeper teams when they could run extra trains to the west coast?

I'm calling bs on TOS but to answer your question "they" cannot run extra trains because "they" don't control the trains. BNSF doesn't run out and buy more equipment for our peak. What trains are there is all they have. They'll be loaded to capacity and the excess will wait or go by road.

One of the best parts of my trip was seeing my instructor driving a tractor like a WAD driver in CACH..! Several of our on road sups are still in CACH driving WAD feeder. I am sure nobody in CACH knows these are supervisors and not hourly drivers.

Plenty of WLA so cal supervisors are working up in cach this week...

TOS

IF there were ANY supervisors working feeder at CACH I guarantee we knew about it before they per tripped their first trailer. The FNN knows all.

fiddledee

i understand we dont own the trains. BNSF is a pretty significant player in the rail industry.I would have thought they could dedicate more assets to the clean up.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'm calling bs on TOS but to answer your question "they" cannot run extra trains because "they" don't control the trains. BNSF doesn't run out and buy more equipment for our peak. What trains are there is all they have. They'll be loaded to capacity and the excess will wait or go by road.

I've also been told by a sup. that at the rail yard, UPS is treated the same as every other customer. We don't get preference in our trailers getting pulled off the FC before anyone else. It's possible that this delay, which could take several hours, may be a reason to avoid using the TOFC option.

Of course, i'm also in the northeast, so the big rail carrier here is NS, not BNSF.

Inthegame

So TOS is being "trained" in Feeders? I see the mention of instructors, which means they sent rookie drivers with low experience sups? Great combination going into lousy weather. I think I know where the fail is.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I've also been told by a sup. that at the rail yard, UPS is treated the same as every other customer. We don't get preference in our trailers getting pulled off the FC before anyone else. It's possible that this delay, which could take several hours, may be a reason to avoid using the TOFC option.

Of course, i'm also in the northeast, so the big rail carrier here is NS, not BNSF.

UPS is the largest single customer of the railroads in the US. Several years ago the four major railroads put together special trains just for UPS that were to cross the country in 5 days. In the yard they are not held up, because to do so could upset a major customer for the railroads, which they don't want to do.

i understand we dont own the trains. BNSF is a pretty significant player in the rail industry.I would have thought they could dedicate more assets to the clean up.

What assets? It's not like leasing a rental tractor like we do. You don't run down the street to Penske and pickup a spare locomotive.
And we're not their only customer and don't give them the % of volume like we used to so we have less pull than we used to.

UPS has less pull because we provide less volume than we used to. When the train was 90% UPS we could get them to hold it 10-15 minutes occasionally. Now we're maybe 60%. The rail isn't going to po all the other shippers waiting on our trailers anymore.

The yard next door can strip a 1mile long train in 90 min or less. They start at both ends and meet in the middle. What trailer they get to is the one that comes off. By the time it comes to the point of unloading it from a railcar a few extra minutes isn't going to factor in the grand scheme of using rail or road.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So packages snowball for a day. Big deal. The accident and injury will end up costing the center near $100,000 according to the center manager.

This center spends approximately $19,000 per day on payroll, so even if the center profits at a rate of twice the daily payroll (which we all know is not the case, but I use the number as an illustration), the center lost $62,000, a vehicle, and a driver for an unknown length of time. They could have just as easily played their little games with "weather delays", told us to stay home and made their money the next day when conditions improved. But they didn't. They instead chose to roll the dice and hope for no accidents, no injuries, and profits. They lost.
Ups lost money for one day. Where as if you shut down they'll lose money for a week or more.

What were your exact conditions? How much snow or ice?

nocturnalbuck

That's terrible news about our guys on that feeder team, I hope that they'll be OK. This is just another example of profits before people. Last week with temps here in the single digits and ice and snow everywhere, they still went on with the operation and then scratched their heads when my center alone had 1 accident and 1 injury.

Scotty boy is trying his damnedest to go down as the worst CEO in the history of the company. Sure he's maximizing profits, but it's at the expense of safety and service.

Oh no!!! not cold air! monday last week it was -22° at 9am with 20+ mph winds. my area that day consisted of all ridgetops. it was brutal , they told us to keep the trucks running . BUT there was never any doubt we were working.