CACH Illinois hub Service Failing milions of packages this week!

At least that gives them a little time to get used to it.

I know it is NOT funny, but I had to chuckle at the thought of being trained in October, and being sent into the mountains in a snowstorm in January!

I was asked to let some of these guys tag along after the training sups got done with them to give them some pointers. There was a few of them I wouldn't let mow my lawn much less drive a sleeper team from so-cal.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Seeing the country was cool.. It was my first sleeper trip. While Chicago was cold, dirty and dungy, the people there were great. I stopped in Dwight for lunch at a cool 50's diner and had the best meal anywhere. I could never live there myself, I respect those that can make that part of the country work for them.

The rest of the country was no concrete jungle like where I come from, but the people were very nice. OKC was nicer than i thought it would be. Kansas was foggy and very dangerous at night with freezing rain, so I never got to see anything of the state.

In IOWA, we parked our tractors for lunch around 11pm while the temperature was at 3 degrees. We bundled up to walk into a hardees restaurant and we were still freezing. A hostess walks out at the same time with only her uniform on as she walked to her car.. We thought, WTF? She said, you guys must be from the coast...

LOL.

TOS.

barnyard

KTM rider
Trains magazine has written extensively about the relationship between the railroads and UPS. Right now, RR capacity is stretched and it is going to get worse before it gets better.

"Is the RNN better than the FNN?"

It's about the same dance all over. Only the music is different.

The other thing not mentioned is that rail crews are subject to HOS similar to we are. When the limits reached, them or us, there's only so much that can be done.

250s

Rookie feeder drivers in so-cal since october making it to sleeper teams. Ok. Sure.
Depending on what local you belong to, they have different feeder work rules. So if the A or B driver is off for any reason, the rookies can be forced to go. If a driver with more seniority doesn't want the work. The local I belong to, if the A or B driver is off for any reason other than a sick call, we may select the driver we want to take with us for that run.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Trains magazine has written extensively about the relationship between the railroads and UPS. Right now, RR capacity is stretched and it is going to get worse before it gets better.
Agree.
Companies that plan and invest based on fundamentals do not foresee an expanding economy.

upscat

I've heard some places cant get feeder drivers to bid on sleepers and hire and train drivers straight into those jobs.

You give me a checkbook and I can get you a new tractor and a driver in an hour.
That's not going to happen with the railroad.

Depending on what local you belong to, they have different feeder work rules. So if the A or B driver is off for any reason, the rookies can be forced to go. If a driver with more seniority doesn't want the work. The local I belong to, if the A or B driver is off for any reason other than a sick call, we may select the driver we want to take with us for that run.

People will commit murder to make sleeper here.

iowa boy

Seeing the country was cool.. It was my first sleeper trip. While Chicago was cold, dirty and dungy, the people there were great. I stopped in Dwight for lunch at a cool 50's diner and had the best meal anywhere. I could never live there myself, I respect those that can make that part of the country work for them.

The rest of the country was no concrete jungle like where I come from, but the people were very nice. OKC was nicer than i thought it would be. Kansas was foggy and very dangerous at night with freezing rain, so I never got to see anything of the state.

In IOWA, we parked our tractors for lunch around 11pm while the temperature was at 3 degrees. We bundled up to walk into a hardees restaurant and we were still freezing. A hostess walks out at the same time with only her uniform on as she walked to her car.. We thought, WTF? She said, you guys must be from the coast...

LOL.

TOS.

Hell, 3 degrees is barely sweater weather here.

Inthegame

LOL.

TOS.
A "hostess" at a Hardees? Even more impressive that she can answer your thoughts. Clever girls in Iowa.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Question about teams, What is "ICC" don't you guys just call your Sup and tell them your shutting down because of bad weather

ICC maintains the sleeper teams on the road. Our center supervisors have no authority over these decision makers. They are in charge of routing and dispatching once we are rolling. They have no idea what conditions are on the ground other than what they can see on some internet site. Their job is to keep the teams moving no matter what. I dont know their location, but its probably in atlanta somewhere. They use temporary phone handlers with zero experience with the UPS job. The supes are the only ones who really understand the job issues and eventually you reach a supervisor once you have had enough of the temps asking you to do stupid things.

Every call is almost an argument with them. On the way back, a major snowstorm was going to hit the rockies and Utah and we had to fight to be diverted south and around the rockies. Otherwise, ICC would have had us stuck in the snow on the way back as well.

We get it, UPS would like to limit mileage, but sometimes, it comes at a cost. Sure, its shorter coming back over the rockies, but not when delays could delay the team over 6 hours in breakdowns because of snow related issues.

My B driver didnt want to go to jersey for any reason, and he argued with ICC for quite a while until they finally just sent us to cach. It shouldnt have to be this way, but it is the system.

TOS.

LOL.

TOS.
We have thicker blood up here. The days it was minus five to minus eleven I never wore a coat.