Called in and harassed question

Climbingtheladder

I have a quick question I have been with ups for a couple years and know how management is so I know half the answer to my question but here it is .. I called in today and it was an hour and a half before start time ( twilight sort) I have 5 sick days that I have earned but I call in and the manager questions me on why I can't come in and telling me I'm not sick harassing me for a few minutes before saying I have to bring a valid doctors note or I will be documented and that he doesn't have to pay me .. I'm in the union so I know as long as it's an hour before start I can use my sick days whenever I want. Any advice or answers to any truths behind his claims ? Or just typical management fuss ?

I have a quick question I have been with ups for a couple years and know how management is so I know half the answer to my question but here it is .. I called in today and it was an hour and a half before start time ( twilight sort) I have 5 sick days that I have earned but I call in and the manager questions me on why I can't come in and telling me I'm not sick harassing me for a few minutes before saying I have to bring a valid doctors note or I will be documented and that he doesn't have to pay me .. I'm in the union so I know as long as it's an hour before start I can use my sick days whenever I want. Any advice or answers to any truths behind his claims ? Or just typical management fuss ?
Its all bull. Next time you call off say, this Is So and So.....calling off sick. Then hang up the phone!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When they give you a hard time, just look at them and laugh. That really pisses them off. :fightings:
Gumby-suck-it-200x300.jpg

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Define overly supervise? Just curious....
Good question but the answer is broad. Generally, it has to be proven that the company went over their responsibilities or went out of their way to intimidate and or harass someone in the name of supervision. Often times a person will be singled out of their group whether they are in package or preload, etc.

There are no penalties for this if you win, other than having a paper trail. "Will comply"

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I have yet to find anything more amusing than when a center manager thinks that they can discipline an hourly employee for taking advantage of a benefit that the company gives its employees.

Our tyrant of a center manager was trying to threaten people with the dreaded warning letter because they were calling in sick/personal during blizzard conditions. I can't wait for the TLA that I'll get when it comes time for me to take a vacation or work my election day.

people.

Indecisi0n

Next time he asks you for a doctors note the next day say "how am I going to bring in a note tomorrow when I'll be calling out again"? Then hang up. Make them sweet it out a little.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My one on-car sup answers the phone one day (usually an OMS) and the conversation went like this:
Sup: Hello?
Me: This is Me, I won't be in today.
Sup: Why?
Me: Because I won't.
Sup: Well, why not?
Me: Because UPS and the Union have agreed that I have 5 sick days to use at my discretion.
Sup: *click*