called in for medical reason, refused to come in to clinic, what can happen?

brob5111

I am an employechecked training, not yet in the union. I suffered from heat illness today because I failed to hydrate myself properly last night working the overnight shift. I called the training office to see if I could miss just this one time, as I now know that I need to stay hydrated and I made a mistake. She didnt have a problem but told me that I must Come in to get checked out in the medical clinic. I refused to because I felt that this would do more harm than good, i just couldnt mentally go into a medical setting at this time. Im having one rough night. I am an unloader and this is my first absence on a night where it was supposed to be my last nihht of training. Can I be terminated for refusal and my first absence? She wouldn't give a definitive answer, she jist said we will see you tomorrow night. What can happen? Is there any peace pf mind that I wont be suspended or lose my job?

BigBeef42

You're at their mercy. If they desperately need people to unload then u will keep ur job.

If they need to cut costs, or have someone else that's better than you, then goodbye.

Sent using BrownCafe App

brob5111

Well I was told by my sup and my trainer that I was working very well. There seems to be a desperAte need for good unloaders as they said they were going to be hiring heavily for the next three weeks. The one other new hire assigned to my section already resigned. I hope I dont lose this opportunity because of one bad night and bad timing to learn a lesson.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Looks to me like you've got some good answers to your question. You're in training/probation. Any negative mark can put you out the door. So far you've missed a day and failed to follow instructions from a supervisor. That in itself is more than enough to terminate. Your fate depends on how bad they need a warm body. BTW, 38 years of insight.

If you couldn't come in because of the affects of dehydrating yourself , lite-headedness,etc, then you should have replied "how can I safely travel in my condition to go to the clinic?"
If you're clean and have nothing to hide you could have come in the next work day and gone to the clinic then if they still wanted.

BigBeef42

Good lesson here kids: Never give details of why you are calling in.

Exactly correct. If u feel obligated, say ur sick, and no more explanation.

Women use the "it's that time of month" excuse and no questions are asked. Privileged, hmmm?

Sent using BrownCafe App