Called into the office

quad decade guy

It’s refreshing to see a young buck who knows how to handle himself in the office. It will serve you well throughout your career. Keep following the methods, because shortcuts may be faster, but if it’s observed discipline will follow.
Yep. Notice how he dismisses the accident? It won't be the last. And he'll wonder what went wrong as he is walked out. 30 years is a long time to friend up. And those grievances? They remember every one......not saying to never file.....pick your battles carefully.....because as shown on BC by self proclaimed Big Union Guys.....they ain't always got your back.

Whither

Scofflaw
Yep. Notice how he dismisses the accident? It won't be the last. And he'll wonder what went wrong as he is walked out. 30 years is a long time to friend up. And those grievances? They remember every one......not saying to never file.....pick your battles carefully.....because as shown on BC by self proclaimed Big Union Guys.....they ain't always got your back.
It's been more than a year since my tier 1 (I nicked a stationary while backing 1 mph, there was minor cosmetic damage), but thanks for your concern. I should add, after I got the warning letter my center manager told the steward there was no more discipline but he wanted to have a private word with me.

During the meeting I referenced several times working 6 days and nearly 60 hours for 14 straight weeks. I admitted to having a lapse in judgment and making a mistake, and added, this is a demanding job, not only physically but in terms of attention as well ... and unfortunately I'm a human being who gets fatigued without proper rest. All of which the company knows from its own reams of data. I told him, I'm sure I'm wasting my breath but I'd like the company to also take its fair share of responsibility for working drivers 6 days a week for long stretches despite knowing this hikes their chances of accidents and injuries.

And guess what? The boss did admit to me that it was wrong for the company to be working us 6 days, and said he strongly sympathized with my point, but unfortunately his hands were tied (no doubt this was also true, we know center managers are low-level bureaucrats these days).

Whither

Scofflaw
It’s refreshing to see a young buck who knows how to handle himself in the office. It will serve you well throughout your career. Keep following the methods, because shortcuts may be faster, but if it’s observed discipline will follow.
I think it helps coming into this job when you're older, less impressionable, and after years of working crappy, low-paying jobs appreciate what an opportunity we have here. It would be easy to feel ingratiated and therefore eager to go 'above and beyond', e.g., cut corners, which is the attitude the company wants. And it's not hard to tell the company wants turn driving into a throw-away job anyone can do, that way turnover wouldn't hit them in pocket book with service failures, etc.

I have my complaints with how soft the union can be, but good god imagine what UPS would be like without it!

Last One In

...he wanted to have a private word with me.

No steward should have allowed you to have a "private word" with any member of management even if manager says there will be no more discussion of discipline. Manager could allege you swore at him, touched him, took a swing at him, etc. It would be your word against his; whom do you think will be believed? I hate to be a stickler, but if management wants to have a conversation with me I always have a steward.

Whither

Scofflaw

No steward should have allowed you to have a "private word" with any member of management even if manager says there will be no more discussion of discipline. Manager could allege you swore at him, touched him, took a swing at him, etc. It would be your word against his; whom do you think will be believed? I hate to be a stickler, but if management wants to have a conversation with me I always have a steward.
That's fair. Maybe it was risky but seemed fine in my judgment that moment. We had definitely exchanged words, but the discussion wasn't heated. The stew looked at me and I consented. Didn't feel pressure. Blinds were up (under the current center manager that's nearly always the case too -- gotta think most mgmt is aware of the danger of harassment grievances and lawsuits) and the stew was keeping an eye on me -- he was outside the door when I left and we discussed the 'private word' on the way to our pkg cars.

quad decade guy

If you would just post a pic of your airplane and corvette.....
It would make no difference in me having it. I know I have it. You wish you did.

Notice folks, how I didn't bring it up.....for the record.

How when he is shamed.....my car and airplane is questioned.......not sure why that is....I mean it doesn't make him any less impotent.

quad decade guy

Unfortunately, it depends on what side the steward/Big Union Guy is on. Around here, I can't tell the difference.

quad decade guy

It's been more than a year since my tier 1 (I nicked a stationary while backing 1 mph, there was minor cosmetic damage), but thanks for your concern. I should add, after I got the warning letter my center manager told the steward there was no more discipline but he wanted to have a private word with me.

During the meeting I referenced several times working 6 days and nearly 60 hours for 14 straight weeks. I admitted to having a lapse in judgment and making a mistake, and added, this is a demanding job, not only physically but in terms of attention as well ... and unfortunately I'm a human being who gets fatigued without proper rest. All of which the company knows from its own reams of data. I told him, I'm sure I'm wasting my breath but I'd like the company to also take its fair share of responsibility for working drivers 6 days a week for long stretches despite knowing this hikes their chances of accidents and injuries.

And guess what? The boss did admit to me that it was wrong for the company to be working us 6 days, and said he strongly sympathized with my point, but unfortunately his hands were tied (no doubt this was also true, we know center managers are low-level bureaucrats these days).
Well, my 40 year experience is mgr's come and go. It won't matter what he admitted to you. I guarantee whatever it was will not be said to his boss(because they are working6/60(80).

Keep having those accidents and you will see. BTW, it doesn't matter how insignificant you try to make it.....3 tier 1's and they can fire you(in a certain amount of time). And I've seen it stick. Things like broken sprinkler heads in a yard.

Whither

Scofflaw
Well, my 40 year experience is mgr's come and go. It won't matter what he admitted to you. I guarantee whatever it was will not be said to his boss(because they are working6/60(80).

Keep having those accidents and you will see. BTW, it doesn't matter how insignificant you try to make it.....3 tier 1's and they can fire you(in a certain amount of time). And I've seen it stick. Things like broken sprinkler heads in a yard.
Yes, that boss is already gone, and I'll be surprised if the new one lasts.

Again, thank you for the advice.