calling 911

upsman68

In our center we had a helper fall down some stairs and cut his head open. The driver called 911 and the paramedics came and took him to the emergency room. The next day our center manager told us that we should call the center first and then the management team should determine the course of action. He said his injuries were not a life or death situation As a driver if a helper is bleeding heavily my first reaction is to call 911

How do you feel about this out there

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Call 911. I will refrain from the rest of what I would like to say about mgt and their need to cover their assets................................ oh I guess I said enough. :wink2:

over9five

Staff member
Call 911 yourself. Believe it or not, no-one on the management team is a doctor.

You have to take responsibility for your own health.

Always be ready to call 911 on your cell for an injured co-worker as well. Management is NOT making the right choices here. Don't take a chance on someone dying in some fool managers car on the way to an ER when a trained ambulance crew could have saved his life.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
If someone is bleeding bad, or worse, call the EMT's at worse he gets a ride to the ER.

If someone is tellling you to wait for mgmt. to make the call, think about it they have to drive out to the area, what if its bad what if those few minutes mean life or death, do you want to live with if only I had called.

If mgmt is saying wait, are they that dumb, do they want a dead person and a huge lawsuit? What if the guy had a neck injury?

Really any sup. telling you not to call if you have any worry about how bad someone is hurt is a total idiot.

I would also ask for this new policy in writing from your center, IE if someone is hurt we should let the center know 1st and let them decicde if we should then call 911, would be great for lawyers down the road if someone got hurt and died.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If I am ever hurt on the job, I will definitely call 911.
The SOP in my center is to take anybody hurt to the company quack.
They will find my package car with keys locked in back and me at the hospital.

S

splozi

A supervisor told me this story not too long ago about a guy they had to drive to the ER. I'm unsure what the situation was, but someone was suffering from some sort of extreme dehydration to the point that his limbs were locking up, and he was screaming in pain. I'm guessing nobody called am ambulance, because they took him to his OWN car to drive him to the ER. That's how management takes care of you.

Oh, and the weird "screaming in pain" noise that the guy was making, this supervisor randomly yells on a daily basis, just for fun. Sort of like a mating call, I guess.

Brownsfan

I almost died on route from heart complications. Sad thing is i had to drive myself to the hospital. When i called my manager and told him i felt like i was having a heart attackand i needed help, he told me he had alot of drivers who were going to be out late to. It was crazy. I finished the route cause i am an idiot. walked into the er and my heart rate was 22o beats per mintue. It was insane. Couldnt breathe, could barely talk, barely could drive. By far the worse day of my life. So the point is, the only time management is going to dial 911 is cause they found you dead in your pkg car. I know im being harsh, but i have been in this situation and this is the wisdom i have gleaned. Call 911 yourself if you can and call immediately.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I almost died on route from heart complications. Sad thing is i had to drive myself to the hospital. When i called my manager and told him i felt like i was having a heart attackand i needed help, he told me he had alot of drivers who were going to be out late to. It was crazy. I finished the route cause i am an idiot. walked into the er and my heart rate was 22o beats per mintue. It was insane. Couldnt breathe, could barely talk, barely could drive. By far the worse day of my life. So the point is, the only time management is going to dial 911 is cause they found you dead in your pkg car. I know im being harsh, but i have been in this situation and this is the wisdom i have gleaned. Call 911 yourself if you can and call immediately.
I hope you are ok, now.

Brownsfan

I hope you are ok, now.
I have not had one complication since that day. It was just one of those days. It came on fast and came out of no where. nothing like getting your heart shocked back into sinus rhythm, twice in 4 days! At least they take my calls a little more serious now. lol Thanks menot

Indecisi0n

I told my helper not to get hurt so if that was me i would just keep moving. Ill send the center a message on my 3 min lunch.

pott

after 22 yrs with ups i learned never call 911 mgmt if you can you can find one will drive to check out ......if fire in bldg once agian find mgmt they like to play fireman and this is just not in operation it's everywhere in ups, from audit clerk to automotive to oms. why pay for help when we have invisible bosses!!!!!!